AVR250 video output question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JHAz, Feb 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JHAz

JHAz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

I have a question about video output from a source connected to the AVR via composite input. My VCR runs to the AVR250 through the composite input. My DVD player is connected via component cables.

The way I understand the manual, all the outputs on the AVR250 should all be active - - component and composite should carry the same signal.

But the VCR signal does not appear on the TV input where I connected the component outputs. It appears only on the composite input of the TV.

Similarly, the DVD player's video output appears only on the component input of the TV, and not on the composite. I was expecting to see the VCR through the component input into the TV, creating a somewhat simpler user interface - - everything going through the AVR250 , I thought, could be accessed through the component output.

Is there some setup tweak I missed, or did I misunderstand?

Thanks for any input.

Jim

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    You have misunderstood the manual: the AVR250 does not transcode between component and composite / S-VHS. You will need to run separate signal leads.

FWIW, the simplest and functionally best solution is to completely avoid switching video through the AVR250. Just run SCART cables from the sources to the TV. Since the TV will automatically switch to whatever SCART input is active, you will successfully achieve a "somewhat simpler user interface".

3. JHAz

JHAz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks so much for the response.

I'm in the US and SCART isn't an option on my TV. I'm not trying to convert from component to composite. Just the opposite - - I want the video from the composite signal to appear on my component outputs. The manual seems to contemplate this:

The AVR250 allows for conversion between different video formats. This means that the AVR250 can convert between composite, S-video and component, if required. For example, if you are watching a composite input from a VCR, you may view it from the S-video or Component/RGB video outputs of the AVR250. This allows you to use a single (typically high-quality Component/RGB) connection between the AVR250 and your display device.

But the component outputs don't appear to be carrying the signal from the composite input.

Any other thoughts? I suspect I've missed something in my setup, but I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks.

Jim

4. Druboo

Druboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hi

Your AVR250 should be able to do what you are requiring (I am certainly able to do this on my AV9 and previously on my AVR300, albeit S-Vid i/p and component o/p)

Suggestions.

From your initial post
    If you have both composite and component connected from your AVR to your TV, remove the composite connection.

Have a good look at the video menu (Advanced - 2. Video) of the AVR's setup menu
    Assuming you have the VCR connected to the VCR composite input on the AVR ensure none of the HQ inputs are also set to VCR as this would override the composite one.

HTH