1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR250 SubWoofer out not working?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by PMorali, May 4, 2005.

1. PMorali

PMorali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my AVR250 and I cannot get the SubWoofer pre-out to work. Any suggestion?

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    First thing to check is that you are either using a 5.1 source with an LFE track recorded on it or you have some of your speakers set to small. If there are no speakers set to small then no base will be redirected to the subwoofer from 2 channel sources and the only sound ona 5.1 channel source will be the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) this often has little or nothing recorded on it.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. PMorali

PMorali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    Thanks for your reply. I have tried multiple settings, including front speakers as small (in which case the sub is automatically set as present) and front sprekers as large, with the sub set to present. In each case I had the correct set-up for stereo mode. Whatever the configuration, the sub out does not work.

In fact, in the level set setup menu, I am not getting any pink noise on the sub?
    Philippe

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your descriptive reply.

Just to make sure, if you have another interconect you could try please try that to make sure its not the cable.

Last test, please try connecting the input of your sub straight to the output of your CD/DVD player - play something quiet and if the sub has a level control turn it down. This will tell you if the sub is working (You may already know this though if you have other equipment you have tried it with). The other thing you could do is touch the end of the lead you normally hear a loud hum fom a sub if you do this as it picks up mains hum from you.

Having tryed both of these I would then have to say please call your dealer and ask him to check the unit as it would appear the sub output is faulty on your unit.

Regards

5. PMorali

PMorali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,
    I have tested everything thoroughly and it looks like my sub has an intermittent bug. Dealer will swap it out tomorrow which should fix things for once and for all.
    Thanks for your help and for great av gears.
    Philippe

6. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You realize that there's a separate mode for stereo input? So you can have a sub work for movies but not for stereo. Make sure that Subwoofer / Stereo Mode is set to large+sub or sat+sub. I'm using sat+sub.