AVR250 Speaker Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by saunderscc, Mar 17, 2006.

Tags:
  1. saunderscc

saunderscc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, I want to thank the collective participants of this forum for much useful information.

I am finally getting around to putting in surround sound and decided to do a little research on the web. This forum has been invaluable in helping me make some decisions. Please offer thoughts on the following:

AVR250 running Anthony Gallo A'Diva Ti 5.1 speaker set. An ARCAM DVD player, but I'm not sure which one.

I will listen to a minimal amount of music. Will predominantly use it for XBox Live, Movies, TV.

Thank you, in advance, for your opinions and feedback.

PS: One of the many factors in deciding on ARCAM gear (which isn't inexpensive, but IS a good value) is the support of ARCAM in this owner's forum. Well done.

2. toysnob

toysnob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, I too am glad I just found this forum, I also just bought a well kept used Arcam AVR 250. But to be honest I now need some advice on speakers. I have been told by the previous owner of the unit I bought to lean towards efficient speakers (89-90dB, 8ohms). I have a very small viewing area (see below).

I am looking for monitors with a center channel and a sub. I already have picked out my rear surrounds. I am using this system for 65% HT and the rest music...

So far I was looking at Onyx Reference 1 Monitors, AAD PMM1s, and ACI Sapphire XLs. However the XLs seem to not have the suggested nominal impedence nor the efficiency.

Any other speakers I (we) should consider?

Attached Files:

3. saunderscc

saunderscc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, ToySnob. Hopefully, we can get some folks who know something to help us.

The Gallo system meets my needs. It sounds nice. It's a good value at roughly $2,000 USD. "The War Department" won't let me have a room full of speakers and equipment (unless it's B&O, go figure).

Actually, my wife's equipment constraints have eliminated a lot of "decision paralysis" by eliminating many speakers and equipment configurations I would have otherwise considered.

The 250, in my thinking, would be an ideal unit to run this setup. The Gallo's don't need the additional power nor the preamp outs on the AVR300

I just want some feedback from people who, clearly, know a whole lot more about this than I do, in case I've overlooked something.

4. toysnob

toysnob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'm being impatient but I would have thought we'd have way more feedback by now given that this is an Arcam forum :)

5. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Nah, just American... ;)

You've both been quite specific with you speaker selections, which unless someone has those speakers with the AVR, then there's not much to say.

What I would recommend though, is that if music is going to be important, and you have the space or clearance from ground control, go for full size speakers all round. It makes a huge difference. Else, go for the same satellite speakers all round instead. Mixing and matching normal speakers with sats is IMO a receipe for disaster with a very unbalanced sound even on movies. The most common mistake is to have front left and right as normal speakers and centre/rears as sats, this usually results in the centre channel being swamped by music and effects from the front L+R. So you turn the centre up which destroys balance...

Also with regard to speaker sensitivity, the quoted impedence is a nominal value and is a bit like amplifier power, doesn't tell the full story. Your dealer should be able to tell you which speakers are 'difficult' to drive, so you might want to avoid those. Don't forget for the front L+R you can bi-amp by sticking with a 5.1 setup. There aren't that many films (and no music) encoded in 7.1 anyway...

Hope this helps,

Ian

6. toysnob

toysnob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, and yes I'm American, NYC representing.

But back to the issues, if you look at my room diagram you'll see I have nowhere to put rear surround speakers, that is why I am so intrigued by the M&K column surrounds, which are designed to literally be between a wall and a couch, since they are tripole and fire upwards and sideways.

Now, you're suggesting that I not combine these together with other speakers?

Man my life is becoming more complicated :)

Let me ask instead, what speakers are known to sound good with the Arcam, or do folks around here favor? Floorstanding included, in the sub $1600/pair range?

7. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    The thing you need to consider with the Arcam AV amps is that you can't set the subwoofer crossover freqeuncy for individual channels, it's a single crossover point for all of them. So, this is why for Arcam, mixing and matching speakers with different crossover requirements can be a challenge... However, in my experience, even if you can set the crossover on a per channel basis then this is not the best way to go regardless.

I have rear speakers right up against a rear wall with the sofa right on them, and I'm using Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One's. Whilst they don't spread the sound around for effects if you sit right back, I find it OK for film effects and for music listening I tend to sit forwards anyway and in that situation I find they work very well... Having full range speakers all round certainly sounds great with music and currently I have no sub. My centre is another AE Evo, and I have Mission 752 Freedoms at the front. I use an AVP700, and a pair of Rotel RB-981's and an Arcam P90/3 to provide the welly.

8. josephvman

josephvman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As previously suggested, I would stick with a 5.1 system, as you've already got a complicated room to work with, no need to further complicate it with additional speakers and setup issues that go with 7.1. I listened to quite a few speakers, and I ended up with Kef iQ9's in front. I wanted a speaker with a neutral midrange and great imaging ability, but also a bit more dynamic than the stereotypical laid-back "British sound." I also needed a compact footprint, something a bit stylish, and real wood veneer. I've owned quite a few B&W's in the past, and originally thought that's the route I'd take, but I found them (the 700 series) to be very analytical and "hard". I think the iQ9's are quite a good bargain as well (at $1200US). As this is my first HT system, and I can see myself moving onto something a bit better before long, the entire Kef system was affordable enough that I won't feel too guilty about replacing it.

9. saunderscc

saunderscc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That seems to be the same line of reasoning from the Gallo dealer that suggested I go with the 5.1 surround. I'm actually a little impressed considering he really has a financial incentive to sell me a more expensive combination of speakers.

Any other thoughts on the 5.1 A'Diva Ti/AVR250 combo welcomed. Or really, any general comments on satellite/sub systems on AVR250.

Thanks for your input Ian.

Cheers!
    CCS