1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 with P90/3

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by malcolm mccabe, Aug 11, 2004.

1. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Current set up:
    DV88 Plus
    CD92T
    AVR200
    P90/3
    B&W 600's all round running on silver ann bi wire.

Bought the P90/3 couple of weeks ago and the sound improvement in stereo was shocking (nice). Unfortunatly when playing a DVD in Dolby Digital mode, there is a high pitched squeek coming from all speakers (B&W's on silver ann bi wire). I have the P90/3 running the front 3 speakers with the AVR runing the rear surrounds. Put the speakers all back through the AVR and all is OK. Strange as the DVD on DTS sound is perfect with the power amp connected. Is there a way around this, I was told to run the fronts off the power amp rather than bi amp? Why is it only with Dolby Digital sound from DVD that this squeek happens? The final option would be to upgrade to AVR300, but Arcam literature indicates all amps are matched gain so should not be an issue...

2. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planing exactly the same upgrade to my AVR 200. Very curious to hear what may be the cause of your problem!

On the side note, why not bi-amping? Have you tried it and didn’t like it? If somebody else told you not to – what was their reason?

Sorry for all this questions and not offering the solution – but I am sure somebody here will have the right answer (this forum is great).
    :beer:

3. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, very strange indeed.
    I have tried several methods, currently having the fronts thru the power amps SP2 and the centre channel thru SP1, seems to be OK at the moment. I was told the power amps stages would sonically outperform the AVR so bi-amping would diminish the performance. I am speaking to Arcam support who are very helpful, but I'm mindful that I only have about 1 month left on the warranty. I am going to try the bi amp path, but I don't understand why the DD soundtrack is so sensitive v DTS and this sqeeking noise is not constant. If anyone out there knows what may be happening...

4. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have solved this problem. The front Centre is running off SP1 on the P90/3 with the Front L/R off SP2. The rears are running off the AVR200. The bi-amp route definately diminishes the sound drastically. I'm thinking that the problem started during the recent hot weather period...wondering if that has had something to do with it, particularly as I understand the new AVR300 has a cooling fan...why? Have Arcam found a heat problem in the AVR200?

5. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK spoke to soon. It's back ! Managed to speak directly to Arcam Support who were great. From our joint investigations it appears to be the chip that processes DD soundtracks, so will need replacing, fortunately I am still within warranty so yeah !!

6. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there
    I have an AVR200. P85/3 to bi-amp the centre and rears and an A85/P85 to bi-amp the front pair (all B&W CNT range) and the improvement is well worth the cost. The sound is more focused and smoother. The bass is deeper and better controlled.
    It's worth checking the likes of eBay and the Severnoaks Hi Fi web site for second hand or ex demo units at a bargin price.

7. malcolm mccabe

malcolm mccabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,
    How have you managed to set this up, is you CD/DVD output to the AVR which then feeds the A85? Just curious..

8. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Malcolm
    The cd player is connected to the A85 via phono leads for stereo and to the AVR200 for Pro logic II via a coax digital cable. The DV89 is conected to the AVR200 via a coax digital for DD & DTS, six phonos to the AVR for DVD-A and a seperate pair of phonos to the A85 for sound from old stereo DVDs. As you can imagine there are a hell of a lot of cables behind my system!!