1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 vs HK5500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by crobo, Aug 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    This is a long shot but any input would be appreciated. I have a DV27 with a Harman Kardon HK5500 (5 x 85W) and Mission 753 fronts with 75c centre. I am very happy with this but can't help thinking that AVR200s are going for relatively little at the moment (£300- 350) and it would be nice to have a match for the DV27. Does anyone have a feel for whether the AVR200 is equal or superior to the HK5500 in terms of sound quality or power output? While the HK is a couple of models old it does sound very musical to my ears and my understanding is that it has a lot of grunt where it counts. This is probably essential to drive the 753s adequately. On the other hand, while the AVR200 is apparently inferior to the AVR250/300 it might easily equal or surpass the HK for all I know.

As I say, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    No-one have any ideas about the relative merits of these? Or of the avr200 compared to this class of receiver? Some ideas really would be appreciated.