1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 vs HK5500

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by crobo, Aug 18, 2005.

1. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    This is a long shot but any input would be appreciated. I have a DV27 with a Harman Kardon HK5500 (5 x 85W) and Mission 753 fronts with 75c centre. I am very happy with this but can't help thinking that AVR200s are going for relatively little at the moment (£300- 350) and it would be nice to have a match for the DV27. Does anyone have a feel for whether the AVR200 is equal or superior to the HK5500 in terms of sound quality or power output? While the HK is a couple of models old it does sound very musical to my ears and my understanding is that it has a lot of grunt where it counts. This is probably essential to drive the 753s adequately. On the other hand, while the AVR200 is apparently inferior to the AVR250/300 it might easily equal or surpass the HK for all I know.

As I say, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    No-one have any ideas about the relative merits of these? Or of the avr200 compared to this class of receiver? Some ideas really would be appreciated.