AVR200 "subwoofer stereo" setting?

J

joema

I was helping a friend configure and calibrate his system, but am not sure exactly what the AVR200 "subwoofer stereo" setting does. Manual is unclear.

Below are some guesses, not sure about some of them. Could someone help clarify? Speaker config is 2.1.

Source=Dolby Digital 5.1, Mains=large, sub=on: LFE goes only to sub. No bass redirection from mains->sub.

Source=Dolby Digital 5.1, Mains=small, sub=on: LFE goes only to sub, PLUS bass redirection below crossover freq from mains->sub.

Source=stereo, Mains=large, sub=on, subwoofer stereo=off: bass goes only to mains, no signal to sub

Source=stereo, Mains=large, sub=on, subwoofer stereo=on: unknown. What is the behavior in this case?

Source=stereo, Mains=small, sub=on, subwoofer stereo=on: bass freqs below crossover go to sub

Source=stereo, Mains=small, sub=on, subwoofer stereo=off; unknown.

Config: 2.1, Meadowlark Blue Heron mains, Meadowlark sub.

Also, does anybody know what the subwoofer crossover frequency is for the AVR200? Is it adjustable? I don't see an option for this.

I'm pretty sure the crossover on the AVR200 is set at 80Hz, though someone else might be able to confirm that. It is not adjustable on this particular unit.

If you want the sub to be used during stereo playback, then you need to enable the subwoofer stereo mode, otherwise only the front channels will play sound

Here is what I know:
“Subwoofer stereo” setting applies only to stereo analog signal.

If setting is “off” all digital circuitry is bypassed and full range signal is directed to LF/RF speakers in its purest form.

If setting is “on” analog signal is converted to digital, crossover is applied and LF are sent to sub. I am not sure if there is a difference between “large” and “small” speakers in this case, but it might be that if the speakers are “large” both sub and speakers get LF signal (speakers full range and sub what is below crossover).

I can clearly hear the difference in sound fidelity between the two settings. IMO sound quality deteriorates if the setting is “on”

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom