1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 & stereo speakers

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by co, Mar 29, 2004.

1. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those who have a AVR200 what stereo speakers have you found to work well (and not so well !) with it

Thanks for any help to narrow the search

I'm also using a DV88 if that's any help

Cheers,
    Co.

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an AVR200 and a DV88 Plus. I'm using Dynaudio Audience speakers all around. The fronts are Audience 72s and they sound great for both analog stereo playback from CDs on the DV88 Plus and for digital 5.1 playback. The Audiences are very easy to listen too: detailed, warm & natural, and dynamic. My room has a lot of hard reflective surfaces.

I've been extremely happy with them. I've just ordered an additional pair of Audience 52SE which I'll use as the side surrounds when I upgrade to the AVR300. The others I have are Audience 122C for center, Audience 62 for rear surrounds, and Audience SUB-30A for LFE.

Dean

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Co. ,
    my best mate just got B&W703 for his AVR200 last Thursday and I must say they sound good, very good! He has real crap for other 3 speakers (this just in case he reads it :) ) but in stereo mode he should be fine at least until upgrade bug bites again!
    Dynaudio Audience as suggested from dwette can also hardly be bad match . . .so you have plenty of choice .... enjoy it!

Kastrup

4. major woody

major woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also got Dynaudio Audience. 52 In the front, 122C center, and 42 surround. I've got a Rel Quake II sub (only used with DVD). As Dwette said warm and detailed sound.

5. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies Guys,
    Will the Dynaudio 42s/52s work ok without a sub (looking for a good improvement over my Kef egg/sub set up for stereo music)

& how much do these go for in the UK.

Thanks again,

Co.

6. major woody

major woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally was supprised by the bass power of such a small speaker (talking about the 52's now). Of course large floorstands will be more powerfull, but unless you have a very big room the 52's will will perform very well (that is my opinion). I only use my sub with DVD, and in some cases (music DVD's) not at all.

I put my 52's and 42's on sandfilled Linn Katan stands (see link below, the speaker is not a Dynaudio).

[​IMG]

That surrely improves the bass (cleaner, less 'booming').

Since I don't live in the UK, I have no idea about the prices for your country. I payed about 400 euros (GBP 267) for the 52's and 250 / 300 (GBP167 / 200) for the 42's (I'm not sure about the exact prices). I think the prices will depend on the current exchange rate (since you brits are to stubborn to use the Euro):D :D :D

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want to go without a sub, consider the 52SE for your mains. These are essentially Contours in an Audience cabinet (Contour drivers, XOver, binding posts).

Can't say what they'll cost you since I'm on the other side of the pond (where they are $1400 MSRP, a bit higher than the Aud. 62).

Dean

8. major woody

major woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [off topic mode]
    Hey Dwette, smart HT, nicely integrated in your livingroom (I suppose it's your livingroom) :thumbsup:
    [/off topic mode]

sorry for this post co, had to say this.

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. :)

Actually, the pictures are out of date since I moved into a larger house since they were taken, and the DVD player has been upgraded to a DV88 Plus.

When my upgrades are done (new 52SE and AVR300) I plan to redo all the pics.

Dean

10. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Wow the 42's are 400GBP here & the 52's 550GBP !!!!!!!

I'll check them out & maybe get a set from Denmark

Co

11. major woody

major woody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that for the set or for one speaker. The prices I mentioned are per speaker. If your prices are per set the difference isn't that big. Otherwise it's sick!!! You can take the boat to the mainland, get a pair of speakers and still be cheaper.

I checked some dutch webstores and the cheapest price for the 52 is 349 euro (GBP 232) per speaker. For the 42 it's 269 Euro (GBP 179).

12. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here in the states:

All priced and only sold in pairs.

Audience 42: $800 MSRP
    Audience 42W: $900 MSRP
    Audience 52: $1000 MSRP
    Audience 52SE: $1400 MSRP

Wallmounts: $95 MSRP

13. co

co

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback Guys, Yes I was speaking about a pair & thought the euro price was for a pair also, So I may demo & buy here.

Thanks again,
    Co.

14. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny enough, I also have an AVR200 with Dynaudio speakers. The fronts are Contour 1.1 with a Rel Q100 for the 'low' work.

The sound is superb !!

I auditioned Kef, B&W, Gallos and a few others, and nothing came anywhere near the Dynaudios.

I got mine from Germany when the Euro was quite weak and saved around 30% compared to UK prices......

/BJ

15. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm really impressed with the Contours. I have Audience all around, but just got a pair of 52SE (Contour drivers and xover) and they sound fantastic, even without breakin. I'm thinking about trading my 62s for another pair of 52SE. I may also trade my SUB-30A for a B-stock Contour SUB if I can come up with the extra cash in time.

Now I can't wait to hear what it all sounds like with the new AVR300 I have ordered.

Dean