1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 loud buzz\hum on multi-channel

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by AlfaMaleV6, Jan 6, 2005.

1. AlfaMaleV6

AlfaMaleV6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster... :hiya:

I'm looking for some advice on my avr200 - which has developed somewhat of a buzzing sound. I had this issue with a secondhand avr100 so i sold that and bought a 200, fine for a long time but has now developed the same issue:

When I first turn the amp on and the volume is set to 00 in prologic or DD there is a loud buzzing hum from the speakers, when I raise the volume to 01 upwards the buzz drops to a lower level but is still noticeable several feet from the speaker. On the plus side, the volume of buzz is pretty much constant so I hear less buzz as I turn up the source but watch a quiet film and the noise can drive me mad! Stereo playback at 00 still has a buzz but it disappears almost entirely once turned to 01 upwards.

So far I have tried: with the the ground lifted or not, with a shielded main cable (sounds nice but didn't solve issue); with all other components unplugged and with amp plugged into a different mains source. No Joy. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a problem inside the amp. I saw a previous post for extraneous speaker noise that was fixed by replacing the "main board", is this hugely expensive? 2yr warranty has recently expired :(

That's it. Sorry about this wordy post, I will try to make future ones shorter but thanks for bearing with me this time.

Phil

2. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I had the problem over a year ago with my AVR200. After speaking to Arcam support they did say there is a normal level of hum which can be heard anyway when nothing is playing. My level was somewhat in excess of this so I sent it back to support. They could not replicate this problem and also another fault in that occassionally when watching a film in DD the sound would just disappear and be replaced by a hiss. Despite not being able to replicate it they replaced the board inside and the problem never occurred again.

Mine was in warranty therefore I couldn't comment on the cost other than to say that Arcam Support are great and if it is just out of warranty I would expect that they may fix it anyway. I presume they would have to inform you of any cost before they do any chargeable work anyway. Best way is to send it direct to Arcam and see what happens.

regards

Andrew

3. AlfaMaleV6

AlfaMaleV6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for the advice.

Rgds,
    Phil