1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by pran, Aug 11, 2004.

1. pran

pran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a two-year old Arcam AVR-200 that's worked flawlessly until recently. Recently, I've noticed that there's a hum/buzz coming from the speakers. The hum varies with volume and drops greatly when the unit is muted. The hum is much louder when the unit is in a surround mode then when in stereo. Changing inputs doesn't seem to affect the hum and disconnecting all the inputs and connecting to a different power mains made no difference either.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause something like this? Have any other avr200 owners experienced anything similar?

I figured I'd ask these questions here since you guys seem to know a lot about Arcam products.

Thanks in advance.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Sounds like a transformer problem or something else just as serious. If it is less than two years old it is still under warranty so get it back to your dealer pronto and they can arrange for a repair. If it is out of warranty then get it back to your dealer and they can arrange for a chargeable repair to be carried out. You will be liable for the carriage costs to and from Arcam as well as all parts and labour costs for the repair. You will be looking at around £95.00 minimum repair cost for parts and labour.

3. pran

pran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ouch. I was hoping it would be something simpler. I've had the unit for a bit more than 2 years so there's no warranty left. £95.00 and shipping to Arcam sounds expensive when you're in Canada. I'll call my dealer and see if they know someone who can repair Arcam equipment here.

Thanks for the info.

4. Lowrent

Lowrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your amp will not be shipped to Arcam in the UK.
    It will be sent to the canadian distributor : Emerald.

They have talented people to make repairs.

Just bring your amp to your local Arcam dealer, they know what to do.

5. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are in Canada you should have 5 years warranty!
    Check your documentation

:beer:

6. ItsMoodysNow

ItsMoodysNow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pran:

Don't sell this BEAUTIFUL amp! You say that this problem recently appeared. Then it may be something you newly introduced to your system like a new source componant (CD player etc.) or an antenna or satellite input. I had a similar problem after I connected and external TERK AM/FM powered antenna. The following is cut from the Arcam AVR-200 owners manual... incidently, if you need a copy of the manual, go to Arcams website and download the pdf.

GROUND LIFT switch
    If your system only takes audio sources from CD or DVD,
    set this switch to ‘GROUND’. In more complex setups which
    involve satellite inputs or radio aerials, grounding the unit may
    actually increase the level of background hum or buzz in the
    loudspeakers, in which case set the switch to ‘GROUND LIFT’.

I can't believe that some are suggesting that it's a serious problem, and that you should bring it in for what could be costly repairs :confused:. You let me know if this resolved the issue?

Good Luck.

Joe NYC USA

7. pran

pran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply - don't worry, I have no plans to ever sell this amp. Unfortunately, I already tried the Ground Lift switch and it didn't help. I'll try disconnecting my aerial tonight, though. Perhaps that would make a difference.

I've already talked to Emerald, the Canadian distributor, and they've told me that I've got a 5 year warranty and that they will fix it free of charge. I'm happy about that but have been procrastinating because I'll be without a receiver for a week or two. I'm not looking forward to hearing movies on my TV speakers...

Thanks for the info!

Pran

8. ItsMoodysNow

ItsMoodysNow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool... post later and let me know if disconnecting the aerial works... curious. Also, i once was getting a wierd kinda feedback from my loudspeakers and couldn't figure out why, until I realized that my Nextel cell phone i was resting near my reciever was causing it. The further I moved the nextel away from the Amp the lower the distortion got.

Joe