1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 Biamping options

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rich smolen, Mar 18, 2004.

1. rich smolen

rich smolen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR200 that I am interested in biamping with a pair of VTL MB100 tube monoblocks (100 wpc) for the front 2 channels. Does anyone have experience either biamping with tubes or using the tubes only to drive discrete channels for the AVR200?

Is matching the gain going to present a problem? I have stepped attenuators that I can put in line between the RCA pre-outs and amp inputs.

If I decide to bi-amp with the tubes on the bottom, would it present a problem to run the receiver with tubes off occasionally, or would is present some ground loop problems or do damage to the receiver?

Or...am I better off using a P85 or P90 to biamp the mains?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Rich

2. rich smolen

rich smolen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case anyone was interesed, I ended up hooking up the VTL amps using the left and right pre-outs from the AVR200. I A/B'd the AVR standalone and using the VTL's for L & R. Big improvement - to say the least. I've managed to wire it such that I can use all 5 channels of the AVR200 for normal listening, but when I want to do serious listening/movie watching, it's easy to hook up the amps.

I'm leaving the amps connected via RCA cables to the AVR L & R pre-out - that shouldn't present a problem, should it? The amps are not on and the speaker wire is running to the AVR.

Thanks.