1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR200 A85 combination, how?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by highlanders, Dec 14, 2002.

1. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just ordered the Arcam A85 to work with my AVR200, whats the best way to connect it all up. Whose nice people at Arcam told me once but I'm better if it's written down in front of me?

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Simple :)

Use phono's to connect from AVR200 pre-out fronts left and right to A85 phono input (check manual, I think its labeled Proc)

Wire front speakers to A85 and centre and rears to AVR200.

DVD player by digital lead to AVR200 and CD player by phono to A85.

Is that what you wanted ?

3. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, thank you for your quick reply:D

4. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Also I think I have to do something to get them to sync volume??

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Do you not have a 'proc' button or something similar on the front? I had a A75 in this type of setup a while ago and there was a specific function button for this. I haven't played with an A85 but having a feeling it may be menu driven through the unit display, so may also be an option here? I'm sure you'll find it :)

6. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres a quote from John Dawson about the A85 processor feature:

It works on the tape input. Go into set up by pressing "select" 4 times, past the balance and tone control stuff to "customise settings" and then scroll about 5 settings in when you will come to "processor mode". If not set up it will say "tape" underneath. Just scrolling clockwise will then set the fixed gain level - anything from -71.5 to 0 I think. Press "enter" a couple of times to escape.

Once set, then every time you select "tape" the unit will preset itself to this fixed gain level. Connect the AVR200 L and R pre outs to this input.

7. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt do that at all. Set your A85 up as a power amp and connect your CD player to your AVR in the normal way.

Then you have the option to Bi-amp your front speakers using the AVR and the A85.

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Then why buy an A85 to only use it as a power amp? Why not just BUY a power amp? I assume highlanders has bought the A85 for its music ability. By using the A85 as a power amp you are not seperating the AV from Hifi side and therefore not achieving his goal.

9. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thats right using it to play CDs haven't got it yet my dealer only had black and manual is in dutch (Arcam site) so I'm eager to read up before hand. Thinking on what Arcam said I use the tape input and change something in setup as stated above.

10. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    highlanders,
    What I quoted from John Dawson above is an undocumented feature of software 2.2 - not mentioned in the manual

I have a A85 connected to a 3802 in the above way and it works just great.
    A85 for cd, 3802 for movies - 3802 controls the volume & uses the A85 as a power amp , powering the fronts.

11. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks MrC
    Does that mean I use the volume control on the A85?

12. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Don't answer that just reread your post :blush: :blush:

13. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well I've just set up the A85 as above (tape input) which works very well, I thought at first it wasn't a great improvement over just the AVR200 thats until I did a compare, same music and ran it through both amp the A85 wins hand down:D

14. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great news Highlanders.
    The A85 sure smokes the 3802 in my setup too.

15. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also just purchased an A85 to integrate into my Denon 2802 receiver as I was never happy with the stereo performance of the Denon. All I can say is "wow" this is a great stereo amp, it has made all my CD's come to life and the music now fills the room in a way that the Denon was never able to do with music. It is also really easy to integrate with the Denon so that you don't even realise that you have added another amp into your HC system. An absolute top amp and one of my best ever HC/Hi-Fi purchases.

16. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you feel!
    Before owning the Arcam my Denon use to make me fall asleep. Not nymore.

17. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digital input died on my 3802 about 3 weeks ago, and after listening to my a85 with movies for that time, I have to say that I'm mighty impressed with it's two channel performance.

18. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Does this work with the AVR100 as well,

I presume it does, i was thinking about buying the P85/3 but this sounds a much better solution. i have heard the A85 vs the AVR100 and it kicks arse.

Do u think its worth trading in the AVR100 to a AVR200

Jon

19. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I think it would be the same but on the safe side check with Arcam

20. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat.

Just a few questions on this subject....

Is there any difference in quality in the amplifiers in the P85 and A85?

I am thinking adding a P85 or alternatively an A85 (CD inputs straight into A85) to my AVR100. Why would the A85 give me better quality than a P85. Is it because the A85 has better pre-amps than the AVR100?

Thanks

21. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well I've read that it's not worth the extra £800 if you have the AVR100 and want the AVR200 (PL2, better bass management and 4mm speaker plugs. I've had the AVR200 for about five months and it's been about the best AV amp for music that I have heard but that's helped a lot by the Arcam DV88 DVD player. So much so that I have started to listen to a lot more music. that impressed I heard the A85 which sounded even better I took the plunge and it intergrates so well with the AVR200 I think it's money well spent. If that doesn't get me a free home trial of the AV8/P7 for life nothing will. :p

22. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've just been out and replaced my ageing 12 year old hi-fi, that’s given me sterling service. Music is my main love but I've been getting in to home cinema but I'm still a complete newbie.

Anyway I've just purchased an ARCAM 85 Amp a pair of Kef Q5 a KEF Q9 (intend to keep my old Cyrus 780's as rear speakers) a Yamaha E800 and an ARCAM 88+ DVD. I’m looking to update this to DVD audio when the new module is out, but it’s a bloody good CD source to play my existing CD’s. I didn’t really want to get a new CD, something like the ARCAM 82 AND a DVD its just more boxes and more bloody remotes and it would have worked out at roughly the same price as the 88+ Sevenoaks Plymouth didn’t have a 88+ in stock so I’m collecting everything on Tuesday.

SO the question is what is the best method of connecting all this up? I’ve been to Yamaha and downloaded the E800 manual, also got the 88+’s from Arcam but they only had the 85’s manual in Dutch! Handy that!

From reading the manuals I take it I connect the DVD via a coax or optical cable to the E800 (Coax better performance??). The DVD via SCART to my TV. The DVD analogue audio to the 85’s DVD line in. My rear and centre speakers to the E800. My TV’s rear, front and centre outputs to the external 6CH input of the E800 so I can listen to my TV in surround (it’s a pro-logic TV). So that only leaves the front speaker outputs from the E800 to the 85. What set of inputs do I connect these output to on the 85? From another post in this group “Use phono's to connect from AVR200 pre-out fronts left and right to A85 phono input (check manual, I think its labeled Proc)” I take it this would hold ture for the E800?

Cheers for any help

Kerry

23. highlanders

highlanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes pre-outs fronts E800 into tape in on A85 fix the volume in setup (fixed gain) in A85. My only difference is I use CD input on the A85

24. minimoog

minimoog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody definitively answer this question? I'm very curious myself.

I've just picked up a DV88 (£500 brand new sealed in the box - not too shabby) and will be looking to add an AV receiver soon. It struck me that that the AVR200 with a P85 driving the fronts would be the best hifi/AV all-round setup, not to mention cheaper.

Out of interest - I was looking for a player to provide AV but also replace my cd. The DV88 CD audio performance is by no means terrible, but now it's in the house in my setup it's just not as good as my old Marantz CD63SE it was meant to replace. That's a £250 8-year-old cd player it can't keep up with... Hmm.

25. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well come Tuesday I'll be in a positon to compare it to my 12 years old Rotel 965BX. It sounded good under demo but if its not up to the job at home I might do a swap for Arcam CD72 and Pioneer 656 which'll be around £100 cheaper but I really don't want two boxes

26. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "It struck me that that the AVR200 with a P85 driving the fronts would be the best hifi/AV all-round setup, not to mention cheaper." - minimoog

What is the best price seen/paid for this combination?

ditton

27. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??:confused:

28. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In a word, yes.

(IMHO)

It's also got a better power amp stage than the AVR100 or AVR200 (IMHO), but this is identical (?) to the P85 which is basically an A85 without the pre amp stage.

For a long time I had a A85/AVR100 setup. The A85 on it's own was much better than the AVR100 pre amp with the A85 power stage. (And the AVR(1|2)00 are both well regarded as stereo performers in their class - <=£800 multichannel receivers).

Charles.