1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR100 to AV50 - yes thats the right way round !

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by smallangryboy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm fed up with my AVR100 dropping out, switching on and off without warning, and making a large cracking sound when you play a DVD and it has to switch modes. Arcam wanted £150 to check it out without any guarantee of fixing the problem.

I used to have an old Arcam Alpha5+ which I was very happy with for 7 years, up until my change to the AVR100 for movies, which has tainted my view of Arcam a little. Many have said the AV50's musical performance is on a par with the old 5+ so I thought I may just get an AV50 as a stop gap as there are some cheap examples.

Just wondering what it's performance would be like with movies ? OK it won't have the whistles and bells like the AVR nor any fancy decoding like the AVR250 or 300 but I'll be using it with a DV88 [which has only been replaced 3 times by Arcam due to teething problems when bought it!]

2. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I owned an AV50 up until 2000 when I was burgled. It was a fine bit of kit. Obviously not hugely powerful (50WPC - based on the Alpha 8 IIRC). Obviously didn't have Dolby Digital decoding just Pro Logic. I used it with an off-board Denon DD processor. Nice for movies, pretty good for music.

Regards,

Jules.

3. dothillbenny

dothillbenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

No views on the av50 I'm afraid!

I'm just insterested to read about the problem with your AVR100. I get the loud 'crack' when it switches to dolby digital as well. I posted a thread relating to this just the other day.

I too rang ARCAM and was also quoted £150 to fix it! . A few of us have obviously experienced the same thing and there must be others out there. Strange that the guy at ARCAM hadn't come across that problem before

I get this fault with all three of my dolby digital sources (DV88, Xbox Sky+)
    Did you get any more of an explanation as to what might be causing the problem? Just curious - it is most annoying especially with SKY+ because of the channel hopping between movies with/without dolby digital. I guess I'll be looking for a secondhand AVR200

Cheers

dothillbenny

4. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Unfortunately they weren't too helpful, and as the problems I experience are intermittent, there was no guarantee that the repair department would encounter it while they had the Amp. That's why I didn't fancy shelling out the £150, and to be honest after spending £900 on it when it first came out, I'm not too impressed about the longevity of the unit which is about 2 years old now.

I realise that the older stereo amps were less complicated beasts, but I didn't have one day of worry or problems with my old Alpha 5+. I'm considering moving over to something like a Rotel receiver, but again thats loads of cash to be spending, something I didn't anticipate I'd be doing so soon.

Good luck finding out what it is, it makes me wince every time it happens through my poor speakers !

5. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +915

6. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have owned the AV 50 for 4 years and liked it a lot. The main advantage, of course, is non-processed stereo. I added the Alpha 9P power amp to bi-amp my main speakers and could not be more happy about it. You must have heard that AV50 has Alpha 8 curcuitry.

I also used to feed it with 5.1 input from my Nakamichi DVD-10S and movies sounded superb! For stereo AV sources (Sky Digibox) I used the built-in Dolby Prologic processor and was also quite happy with the effects.

I currently have the AV50/ Alpha 9P combo for sale if you are interested (due to upgrade to Arcam FMJ).

Good luck in your search
    Scatter

7. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'd be interested in just the AV50, are you advertising this on the forums ?

8. Scatter

Scatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes, I put it on in the middle of December and that thread has not been removed yet - do a search on Scatter in Classifieds and you will find it.

Contrary to what the thread states, I do not have the box for the AV50, as it appeared that I have three Alpha units and just two boxes.

I will, however, be able to pack it well if the need be.

Scatter

9. gilck1

gilck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what version of firmware does your unit currently have?

10. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Original I guess, as I don't believe it has been altered/upgraded by anyone, even when my dealer had a look at it. I'm not sure how I would go about checking or upgrading ?

11. gilck1

gilck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Traded my original avr100 in black (had your problem) back to my dealer for silver. He had my new silver sent back for factory upgrade - I have a sticker on the back of mine near the serial number showing Verson 1.33. No problems.
    I have just recently queried Arcam as to the latest frimware available for the AVR100.
    Does yours have advanced bass management?
    I'll repost when I hear from Arcam support.

12. gilck1

gilck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arcam support has confirmed that v1.33 is the latest version of firmware for the AVR100. In their first response their only reply was that they do not supply firmware updates for the AVR100 (go figure - perhaps because they are a discontinued product - not sure) Perhaps your dealer can tell your vintage by the serial#. I know the update I recieved was for bass management as well an upgrade to the remote was available for $50