avr

oldnovice

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got my B&W CM7s .. very nice good build speakers..waiting on my cmc2..
Then hopefully a set of CM9s to replace the CM7s as fronts with 7s going to the rears... not to sure on the sub as yet..

What I would like to know is..

Should I get a AV9- P7 combo that are going rather cheap on the bay etc .. around the 3k mark for both..
Splash out on a new AVR600.. 3.5k
Or save for the AVP888 -P777 ( or a P7 ) 8k or 6k with the p7..

Mostly for movies & music through pure direct..

Should I get a AV9- P7 combo that are going rather cheap on the bay etc .. around the 3k mark for both..
Splash out on a new AVR600.. 3.5k
Or save for the AVP888 -P777 ( or a P7 ) 8k or 6k with the p7..

My local 7oaks (Brighton) are doing a free P7 with any AV888 sold instore. Now that s like having an AV888 for £3k (its £4k5 at 7oaks).

AV9's are looking thin on the ground atm.

What are you going to play though it (what are your sources etc....)?

Ian.

The main question you need to answer is what is your priority on Bluray sources. If Bluray is important, forget the AV9 and go for the AV888. If not, the AV9 is a bargain. Of course, you should still audition to answer the cost vs improvement question.

For P777 vs P7 it's a purely cost vs improvement question, the only functional differences being different gains and balanced inputs on the P777, neither of which are all that significant.

So try to listen to both in an A/B comparison and decide for yourself if the improvement is worth the cost to you. Either power amp can be paired with either processor: you may choose independently.

Last edited:
Quote from Mark Yudkin
The main question you need to answer is what is your priority on Bluray sources. If Bluray is important, forget the AV9 and go for the AV888. If not, the AV9 is a bargain. Of course, you should still audition to answer the cost vs improvement question.

Hi, I hope you don’t mind my joining in and asking a question because I am also thinking what I should do for my next AV purchase.
I have considered picking up a second hand AV9/P7. I thought onboard decoding from the blu-ray player would give good results and allow the latest
7.1 sound codec’s to be used via multi channel outputs. Is there some problem or limitation with the AV9 that I don’t know about?
If it is used this way are there features such as bass management missing that would lead to a compromised performance with blu-ray.
I have a 7.1 system at the moment which I would like to keep.
I have only previously considered integrated amps so I am still learning about the Arcam range and what it can do.
I recently got a CD37 and I am interested in the stereo qualities of the AV9/P7 combo.
I plan to get the Oppo blu-ray player soon for movies and multi channel SACD.

Regards stasis.
Panasonic PT-AE 1000E, Arcam CD37, Pioneer V668AV-S, PS3.
Pioneer VSX-AX3, front MA GS20, centre MA GSCTR, rear MA RS 6
KEF in ceiling, BK Monolith DF

Is there some problem or limitation with the AV9 that I don't know about?
The AV9 does not support audio over HDMI. Although you can use the analogue outputs to the AV9, you'd be relying entirely on the player for all processing - the AV9 is essentially just a (high quality) volume control. With few players performing more than minimal processing (bass management and distances are common, but not ubiquitous), this may make sense for those of us who already own an AV9 and have no money for a new processor, but it makes little sense for somebody about to spend good money and wanting quality Bluray performance (process features such as room equalization or Dolby volume), especially given the cost of a new Audiolab 8000AP which does support LPCM over HDMI.

A P7 at a good price probably makes sense.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark for your helpful reply, I am fortunate that I am in no rush to get some new kit as I am enjoying my current set up but I know it could be better.
I have seen some decent offers for the AV9 and although it is not ideally suited to Blu-ray it would offer a significant upgrade for music and DVD.
I am thinking that a pre / power combination is probably the best way forward but it is not cheap.
Perhaps I should look out for a deal on a P7 and see what happens when the AVR500 comes out.
I should do some research into the Audiolab 8000P.

Regards stasis.
Panasonic PT-AE 1000E, Arcam CD37, Pioneer 668AV-S, PS3.
Pioneer VSX-AX3, front MA GS20, centre MA GSCTR, rear MA RS 6
KEF in ceiling, BK Monolith DF

Perhaps I should look out for a deal on a P7 and see what happens when the AVR500 comes out.
I appreciate that I may be in the minority, and there are many posts about how wonderful it is to use a P7 with an AVR600, but to me this remains a rather pointless means of increasing your electricity bill. The AVR500 (and AVR600) already includes 7 channels of power amplification, and since the P7 has a different gain from the AVR600, biamping requires using two channels from the same power amp, which is awkward. The P777 has the same gain as the AVR500/AVR600.
I have seen some decent offers for the AV9 and although it is not ideally suited to Blu-ray it would offer a significant upgrade for music and DVD.
If music, DVD and TV are the priority, an AV9 on sale is a bargain well worth looking into. You need to determine your Bluray strategy and priority to make the decision.

OTOH if "you're in no rush to get some new kit as you're enjoying your current set up", you might just as well wait a bit for things to settle and prices to "stabilize". The Arcam AV888 is unlikely to be the last processor from Arcam, so there's no rush. You could simply add an Oppo BDP-83 (or Cambridge 650BD) to what you already have to get Bluray / SACD replay at a reasonable cost, then upgrade to higher quality later [I wonder if that heresy will get me banned from an Arcam forum :)].

Last edited:
Remember that the AVR500 dont have any pre outs so you wont be able to use it as a processor.

sorry been away working with no internet ...

for now gonna be playing dvd through my denon 3910..& musiic through my arcam cd 92...

just not sure what way to go Blue Ray is not so important as son has a psp..
with the dvd's upscaling to 1080p is the picture gonna be much better or will we see more shadow ?? mibees the TV isnt as good as i get a following shadow on movies more with BD..

Think the main thing for me is the Music & Film sound...

I have the Cm9's on order ( but B & W isnt as hot on this as it takes a wee while for products to arrive .. piano black being the colour ).. have been waiting a few weeks 2 many for the cmc2... my local dealer is very good & very sorry for the delay..

As for the original post I think it will come down to cost... but like most ppl want to make a good choice as not wanting to re buy at a later date...

Hi,

I am about to upgrade my av amp to either an AV9+P7 or either AVR600 or AV888. I have a Pioneer LX91 which allows me to use the analogue 7.1 output to the AV9+P7, I am also able to use the HDMI output which is best for either the AVR600 or AV888.

I am after sonic purity, so which product is best suited for music/dvd's/blue-ray etc.

Please help
GMAN40

I am after sonic purity, so which product is best suited for music/dvd's/blu-ray etc
With blu-ray a requirement, the AV888+P777 is the "best suited" for all three applications, but is also the most expensive. If your budget doesn't stretch that far, you will need to make the relevant compromises, meaning you'll need to carry out comparative auditioning: AV888+P777 vs AVR600.

IMHO, if you want blu-ray and sound quality, the use of analogue connections is a severe compromise. Analogue connections means the player is responsible for everything and since there are no players that do more than the basics (bass management and speaker distances, and even these are not ubiquitous), that compromise is pretty hefty. Of course, if your budget forces it, that's another question.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom