AVR Yamaha RX-V6A with an Xbox One X sound issues....

ThommyGunn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I've done a lot of troubleshooting myself, even read several of these posts hoping something similar would come up, but no luck. So to my issue, here is how its laid out, I have the Yamaha AVR hooked to an LG OLED CX (2020) using the eARC and then my Xbox One X into the TV using the eARC to send the sound to the AVR. Here's the weird thing, I have a 5.1.2 setup, so when I have the Xbox on, it shows on the AVR display ATMOS, no issues, when I put in a movie, like Avengers, I get full great sound all around. When I test with Dolby video's from their app, it sounds great. But as soon as I load a game that has ATMOS, the AVR for some reason only uses the following speakers: FL, FR, FPL, and FPR (Presence speakers for height channel). It turns off the Center channel and my 2 rear's. I don't know why.

I've tried other DSP's I've tried Pure direct, I am not sure why it would do this. That game I was using to test was Assassins Creed Odyssey, because my previous Yamaha RX-V581 worked perfectly with this and AC Origins, where I would get next to a sound source like a fire and rotate the camera and hear it from each channel. Now I only hear it from those 4 and that's any and all sounds, so it doesn't really rotate, like it went to a mono or stereo but with 4 speakers.

If anyone could assist me with this or maybe its a firmware update I need to wait for. Otherwise I am liking this new AVR. But I am all ears, willing to learn.

Thanks,
~TG

At the back of my mind I've read that the CX has issues with multi channel PCM via EArc. It would certainly match your symptoms of not working for games but being fine for videos.

Oh really? That I didn't read, but i honestly didn't know what to search for if it was AVR or TV. Thats interesting. So it would allow it to to multi with videos but not games? I wonder if the TV will send out a firmware update or when yamaha does their big one if it will address it somehow? Well thanks for the insight. Any idea of a work around?

It's a vague recollection of reading it somewhere not necessarily proper experience.

I think it might be this thread i'm remembering

I actually searched for the TV as the issue and found this, which sounds like what your talking about, so i will try some of these tests. but this article was in May, i'd hope LG addressed it by now. But who knows.

By the way, thank you.

So I tried the various work arounds in the article, i turned eARC off within the TV and back on, i switched it from Auto to Pass Through, and other combinations of them all, and none of them worked for me. Still only those 4 speakers. Really odd. I guess when the Yamaha finally gets the updated firmware with 4k 120, ALLM, and Dolby Vision, then i might just have to plug in directly to the AVR than the TV, was really hoping to have the TV do all the video rendering and leave the AVR to sound. But oh well.

If anyone else has ideas, please let me know. Thanks again.

Is there anything on a One X that's essential it connects directly. I know next gen consoles will need HDMI2.2 but what do you lose with a One X going through the AVR?

Right now, the ALLM, VRR, and Dolby Vision. Because your right, the sound and 4k 60 is all i need now. But those other features turned on as soon as plugged it into my new TV and was awesome. All those will be coming to the AVR sometime in Dec though.

Yea, funnily enough thats what started me on this journey of finding this fix, because i read that after i got my AVR, which is a shame, however Yamaha has released a statement that they will find a perm fix as soon as they can.

But that is also why i am trying to go through the TV and use eARC instead of going through the AVR, but didn't expect the LG to have issues, GAH! all these promotions and features and they haven't gotten it addressed yet. Doh! That's what i get for being an early adopter, i like home theater stuff haha.

Thank you though

Yea, funnily enough thats what started me on this journey of finding this fix, because i read that after i got my AVR, which is a shame, however Yamaha has released a statement that they will find a perm fix as soon as they can.

But that is also why i am trying to go through the TV and use eARC instead of going through the AVR, but didn't expect the LG to have issues, GAH! all these promotions and features and they haven't gotten it addressed yet. Doh! That's what i get for being an early adopter, i like home theater stuff haha.

Thank you though

New Marantz 9.2 SR 6014 arrived at my door ready to plug in yesterday. Read all this and sent it back to the Amazon from whence it came... Don't know if there is anything that actually does work with uncompressed 4k/120 feeds or if all the chipsets on all the current AVR are crap.

May just buy the cheapest used atmos player on ebay that can be found and wait it all out but that still means the XSeriesX will not be used to its full capabilities for 2 more years (and i'm more interested in the nextgen Xbox's Atmos-Dolby Vision-HDR 10+ capabilities as a Blu-Ray and App Streaming player than its actual gaming).

I'm confused. AIUI the new Xbox isn't even released yet so the OP presumably has a current gen One X not a series X (I do find the terminology confusing though)

i have the one x going through the AVR and its doing atmos fine - not using eARC though

I'm confused. AIUI the new Xbox isn't even released yet so the OP presumably has a current gen One X not a series X (I do find the terminology confusing though)

Jamie... a german AV magazine had a pre-released XSeriesX with which to test and do a review for microsoft.
They found that the chipsets in nearly every newly released AV with uncompressed 120hz 4k display went to black due to a glitch. So yes... this is about the new pre-released XSeriesX and not the older One X
(and yes .. this is all so very confusing).

i have the one x going through the AVR and its doing atmos fine - not using eARC though
Whitehart ... this is about the "about to be released brand new" XSeriesX which is supposed to do 4kUHD BluRay as well as the newest level of gaming which displays in 120mhz 4k UHD uncompressed
video. None of the current AV units on the market that have 4k UHD passthroughs have the ability to actually pass through. Your screen turns black and it ends there. The problem isn't with the XSeriesX. It's with the 2.1 HDMI chipset which every current 4kUHD AV Receiver system uses (we haven't been able to find an AV system (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz) that doesn't use this former Panasonic based chipset).

Whitehart ... this is about the "about to be released brand new" XSeriesX which is supposed to do 4kUHD BluRay as well as the newest level of gaming which displays in 120mhz 4k UHD uncompressed
video. None of the current AV units on the market that have 4k UHD passthroughs have the ability to actually pass through. Your screen turns black and it ends there. The problem isn't with the XSeriesX. It's with the 2.1 HDMI chipset which every current 4kUHD AV Receiver system uses (we haven't been able to find an AV system (Denon, Yamaha, Marantz) that doesn't use this former Panasonic based chipset).

actually it isnt a problem as such its by design by panasonic (certainly not a bug as reported) , and its a 120hz not 120mhz ! basically the the x series and 3080 Nvidia video card only can handle uncompressed 120hz 4K and 8k 60hz the chipset from panasonic apparently can only deal with compressed, the ps5 does 4k 8k 60hz compressed. Yamaha's setup for having more than 1 hdmi 2.1 port brings hope that they may be able to patch it compared to the Denon - however if Nvidia and Microsoft can patch the 3080 and the x series to be able to use compressed then the "problem" will go away. i think this is more likely to fix it

Ok, after some more testing on the current Xbox One X, it came down to user error. The game i was testing AC Oddessey is NOT Atmos compatible, it was AC Origins that was, so once i put in Origins and also Shadow of the Tomb Raider, everything was perfect on my end with Dolby Atmos. Still tweaking the levels to my liking, but im good now. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the errors found in the HDMI 2.1 ports due to the chipset on these AVR's and the new systems coming, outlets have found out that Yamaha and Denon will not push 4k/120 at this time. The funny part about that scenario is anyone who follows the AVR's know Yamaha has already announced that all next Gen features wouldn't be ready until sometime in December with a firmware update, so NO they aren't working now, but they weren't supposed too. However, they did address the issue with the HDMI 2.1 and said they are looking at a permanent solution to this problem when they plan on releasing the update in a month or so if its possible. While Denon says they are looking at it but to have users use the eARC instead for the time being and they should be fine. So ehh, we shall see.

Im just glad i got my current Xbox working and then if and when the new one gets here, we will see what happens. Hope you all have a great day!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom