AVR-X3200W No Network

SweetestSufferance

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has an answer here, as Denon didn't seem interested in helping me out.

Does anyone have the latest version of firmware for the AVR-X3200W? It would seem that the last time my device updated the firmware was back at version 3.90.35.00, and it would seem that I no longer have any network connectivity. There's no BT, no wireless, and no physical ethernet.

I've done a bit of searching, and cannot find a way to rollback the firmware to a previous version. I've tried multiple factory resets, which resulted in absolutely nothing.

If someone has a service manual for the AVR-X3200W, that may also work. I would have liked to run a few tests on the device, to make sure it wasn't hardware related, but I can't seem to find any service manuals out there either, or at least not from a site I can trust.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Not sure if this will work on your model, but give it a try
1646501282800.png

There is a factory reset, which is the "TUNER PRESET CH -" and "TUNER PRESET CH +" buttons, but that doesn't seem to revert the firmware.

Ok, I was wrong. This model doesn't have that option I’m afraid and since Denon had removed usb firmware files from their website, it could be a tricky repair.

Ok, I was wrong. This model doesn't have that option I’m afraid and since Denon had removed usb firmware files from their website, it could be a tricky repair.
Yeah, thanks for the response though. I've been looking into this for a bit. I found the service manual for the X3100W. I think it's fairly close, so that might point me in the right direction in troubleshooting it, just to make sure it's not hardware related.

It looks like the same module controls BT, Wireless, USB, and Ethernet. I'm guessing even if I find a firmware update, I'm going to be SOL.

On the AVS forum there are dedicated threads for each year of Denon models.
The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2)

Post #5 has this if other resets fail, might be worth a try.

HARD RESET (network + microprocessor reset)

Although not listed in the Owner's manual, a "Hard reset" can be done using the below listed procedures which will not only reset the network card but will also do a microprocessor reset in the process and return all settings to their factory defaults.

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: S710W/S910W - "Tuner Preset Ch+" and "Tune -"; X1200/X2200/X3200W - "Zone 2 Source" and "Dimmer" ; X4200W/X6200W - "UP/DOWN" arrow buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel.
3 - Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons (hold for at least 4-5 seconds).

** If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.
-------------

If you see here, the wifi had failed on my x3100. When I did the factory reset as here:

It fixed it.

But it also fixed the screen dimming issue - which then broke again a couple of days later. I haven't tested if the wifi is still working because it is plugged in to ethernet.

If you see here, the wifi had failed on my x3100. When I did the factory reset as here:

It fixed it.

But it also fixed the screen dimming issue - which then broke again a couple of days later. I haven't tested if the wifi is still working because it is plugged in to ethernet.
I'll take a look at this today. Thanks for help.

It fixed it.

Turns out I've tried both the factory reset and the user reset before.

The factory reset, when performed, flashes in approximately 1 second intervals. I let go of the two buttons, while it was flashing, and the display screen displays a bunch of characters on the entire display. After that, approximately 10 seconds later, the device goes to the device setup screen to walk through setting up speakers and network. Once I get to the network setup portion, it just sits at please wait. I'm going to just let it sit there for the next 50 minutes or so to see if that does anything.

My guess, at this point, is that it might just be a hardware issue. I know the network functionality used to work, but sometime over the last few years, it must have stopped working. I don't typically use the stereo for streaming, mostly just as a "cheap" home theater receiver.

Next step is to take the unit apart and testing the components. Might have to buy a cheap replacement, in the meantime, so my wife can watch her sports. :)

Thanks again for all of your help.

So it doesn't work plugged in using ethernet either?
yeah, nothing. Not BT, no Wireless, and no RJ-45. If I go to the network, it basically tells me I can't do anything until it's connected to a network. Below is what it looks like. I'm guessing since it can't find a MAC address, it must think that they network devices don't exist. I could have swore that there was a way to choose wireless or physical, but for the life of me, I cannot see where to select that. Maybe that's my issue?

1646658511728.png

It's in SETUP-NETWORK-CONNECTION you can choose whether wifi or wired there.

But also, you said you'd done the full factory reset like in the link? In the auto setup that runs it asks which type of network connection you want to use.

It's in SETUP-NETWORK-CONNECTION you can choose whether wifi or wired there.

But also, you said you'd done the full factory reset like in the link? In the auto setup that runs it asks which type of network connection you want to use.
Yeah, it had been a while since I had looked at that setup. I thought that's where it could be configured, and like you said, it should have prompted me after the factory reset, to choose wireless or wired, but it doesn't.

As you can see, in the picture below, Connection, Settings, Network Control, Friendly Name, and Maintenance are greyed out. And for each of them it states it's not available until the network is connected and active. Which is why I was thinking that it might have had something to do with a firmware update, as I don't recall it being a requirement for anything to be connected and active. And since wireless isn't connected or active until you set it up, just seems odd.

1646661320296.png

Hmmm, doesn't look good.

The firmware update details are here:

Can't see anything relating to your unit.

I guess the one thing you may not have tried (but I don't hold high hopes!) is the network reset that is mentioned on that link.

Hmmm, doesn't look good.

The firmware update details are here:

Can't see anything relating to your unit.

I guess the one thing you may not have tried (but I don't hold high hopes!) is the network reset that is mentioned on that link.
Yeah, tried that as well. Oh well. I did order a wired and wireless USB-A network adapter. Rumor has it that some Denon's will detect a USB network adapter. If not, I'll have a couple new network adapters for some other projects.

On to hardware tests. Yay!

When I reverted back to the x3100, I found that Spotify Connect didn't work (which I don't know is due to the unit or because it has never supported it). So I just use a streamer plugged into it for music streaming.

It's still cheaper than £1049 for an x3700 🤣

When I reverted back to the x3100, I found that Spotify Connect didn't work (which I don't know is due to the unit or because it has never supported it). So I just use a streamer plugged into it for music streaming.

It's still cheaper than £1049 for an x3700 🤣
Yeah, probably what I'll end up doing in the future, at least until I get a different receiver. Yeah, don't have that kind of expendable cash, so it might be a couple years. lol

Yeah, except I had stupidly assumed you were in the UK. Note that in the US you can get Onkyo and Pioneer models really cheap at Bestbuy!

Yeah, I think I'll be going back to Onkyo. Denon got me for a couple of receivers over the last 20 or so years. Not sure I'd go to BB for my audio equipment, but yeah, we can get those at other stores here as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom