Avr x2000 after 2 weeks has failed on me, any other suggestions?

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Well I'm a very disappointed owner of a Denon avr-x2000 , after faffing about for 2 weeks getting everything as I want it, it decides to stop working!

First the denon fails to find my ps4 signal, works fine through my tv so its not the ps4 as it was ok last week.

Now when I turn the Denon on my tv does not pick up any signal so I cant select the source input on my tv control

I need some help on what to do, personally this has put me off getting a replacement so may return and get money back

Can you guys recommend an alternative that is ok with my Q acoustic 2000i range of speakers?

many thanks

The X2000 does not get a lot of issues based on what I read on here (unlike Onkyo for example) hence I think you may have just been unlucky. So I would be tempted to get another one as a replacement for now and see how it goes. You do have enough ventilation around the receiver? So you have space above and to the side and at least the front or back of the cabinet open for air to move.
If you really do not want another Denon then the Yamaha 675 would be worth a look.

hi Im thinking a replacement as well after second thoughts, It is a very odd problem though, I can now get a signal on my tv from the amp but amp does not recognise bluray player now.

As for ventilation, its on a glass tv stand on the middle shelf so above there is about a gap just wide enough for a hand but rear and sides is all open so this should not be a problem.

I got the amp from Peter Tyson, just wondering what they would do? , would they do a swap or suggest a denon repair, obviously being fairly new I would hope for a swap.

Could it be that it is a matter of how you are using your kit as opposed to a fault?

Are you by any chance using ARC or HDMI Control? How are the source components, the TV and the receiver all connected together?

Given the short period that the receivver has been in your possession then I'd suggest Peter Tyson will probably just exchange the unit for a new one. This is if they also detect the same issues you relate when they receive the returned unit and test it.

I'm interested in this, I have the exact same amp and speakers as you boxed at home waiting to be set up.

I'm interested in this, I have the exact same amp and speakers as you boxed at home waiting to be set up.

Then set it up. As already mentioned, this isn't a common issue and this is the only instance of it. It hasn't even been established at to whether there's actually a fault as yet. Set your kit up and test it, you cannot apraise anything without doing so and you'd be foolish to simply return your kit simply because one other person has experienced difficulty with their setup ;)

hi

Dante, maybe I did not explain my op as best as I could, the reciever has been fine for 2 weeks, when I said faffing about I meant getting all my speaker cables tidied up and so on.

Why would it be the way I have it set up? , I have followed the setup assistant and only have basic connections hdmi out to tv and a ps4 and bluray player connected to the hdmi in slots.

All was working yesterday and I have not fiddled with any settings.

Strange thing I notice is when all sources off and I switch through the source selections , all the hdmi port selections do not show digital in the display, Im sure they did before.

Only all the other selections either come up with analogue or digital in the bottom right hand corner.

Not sure if that is anything?

Im not using arc as I dont think my samsung c650 supports it, hdmi control is turned off.
I have attempted the soft reset (pulling plug out) and have done the microprocessor reset with no luck.

Last edited:
As for ventilation, its on a glass tv stand on the middle shelf so above there is about a gap just wide enough for a hand but rear and sides is all open so this should not be a problem.

According to who? It is a problem and the ventilation is inadequate. Heat rises so the space around the receiver isn't of importance if the space above it where the majority of the venting is located is impeded. I can't see this causing the issues you appearing to be having though?

TRy a factiry reset of the receiver.

According to who? It is a problem and the ventilation is inadequate. Heat rises so the space around the receiver isn't of importance if the space above it where the majority of the venting is located is impeded. I can't see this causing the issues you appearing to be having though?

Well I'm just guessing here but I'm pretty sure I have adequate ventilation, I have seen far worse cases where components are placed on top of receivers, and the problem Im having does not suggest over heating

I can only suggest you contact Peter Tyson and arrange to return the unit then. It could be an issue with the HDMI board? I've not heard or seen similar issues in relation to your receiver so can only presume it to be an isolated incident?

I see no real reason to look for an alternative though and the AVRX2000 is probably the best AV receiver you can get for that money? Maybe look at the Yamaha RXV675 or the Sony STRDN1040 if truly wanting something other than the Denon?

I can only suggest you contact Peter Tyson and arrange to return the unit then. It could be an issue with the HDMI board?

this is what I think as above, I have noticed all the source selections from the hdmi ports do not show digital on the display, where as every other source selection show a digital or analogue symbol on the display.

Then set it up. As already mentioned, this isn't a common issue and this is the only instance of it. It hasn't even been established at to whether there's actually a fault as yet. Set your kit up and test it, you cannot apraise anything without doing so and you'd be foolish to simply return your kit simply because one other person has experienced difficulty with their setup ;)

What a ridiculous response, full of preposterous assumptions.

My kit is brand new and boxed up because I moved house a week and a half ago, 1 day later I left for work... where I have been since... My kit will be set up when I get home, and when I have time.
I'd like to set it up but being 300 miles away on an oil rig makes that a slight problem.

Who said anything about common issues? I'm simply interested because it's the first problem of this sort I have encountered from someone online. I have the same kit, so I am interested in what the problem is: wether it is a technical issue or human error, and how the problem gets rectified.
For all I know the solution may come in handy in the future.

Who said anything about returning equipment? I certainly did not.

What a ridiculous response, full of preposterous assumptions.

My kit is brand new and boxed up because I moved house a week and a half ago, 1 day later I left for work... where I have been since... My kit will be set up when I get home, and when I have time.
I'd like to set it up but being 300 miles away on an oil rig makes that a slight problem.

Who said anything about common issues? I'm simply interested because it's the first problem of this sort I have encountered from someone online. I have the same kit, so I am interested in what the problem is: wether it is a technical issue or human error, and how the problem gets rectified.
For all I know the solution may come in handy in the future.

Who said anything about returning equipment? I certainly did not.

Well. I was given the information provided by you and you did not say that the kit was boxed due to you moving. In fact you didn't really say anything that even warranted a reply. What were you expecting someone to post as a reply?

This thread is concerned with a particular issue with the AVRX200 so why would anyone relate what you posted to anything else but that issue?

I've a transmetatarsall amputation. Do you have a foot and are you concerned that you too may need an amputation? Everyone who has feet will obviously at some point need to have at least one transmetatarsal amputation. As funny as it may seem, this is the logic you appear to be using?

The only way for you to determine if your receiver has a fault is to test it. Whether the OP has an issue or not with his receiver is no gurantee that you'll have the same issue or that an alternative receiver will be fault free. As far as I'm aware, this issue is not widespread and not an inherent problem with the AVRX2000. I'd still go see a doctor about your foot though, just in case ;)

Last edited:
Well. I was given the information provided by you and you did not say that the kit was boxed due to you moving. In fact you didn't really say anything that even warranted a reply. What were you expecting someone to post as a reply?

This thread is concerned with a particular issue with the AVRX200 so why would anyone relate what you posted to anything else but that issue?

I've a transmetatarsall amputation. Do you have a foot and are you concerned that you too may need an amputation? Everyone who has feet will obviously at some point need to have at least one transmetatarsal amputation. As funny as it may seem, this is the logic you appear to be using?

The only way for you to determine if your receiver has a fault is to test it. Whether the OP has an issue or not with his receiver is no gurantee that you'll have the same issue or that an alternative receiver will be fault free. As far as I'm aware, this issue is not widespread and not an inherent problem with the AVRX2000. I'd still go see a doctor about your foot though, just in case ;)

My message did not warrant a response, I fully agree on this, I didn't ask any questions so did not expect a response, but yet you strangely chose to give one anyway with condescending fantasy situations and assumptions... Giving me advice, when I did not ask, or require any.

I commented on the thread because I prefer it to the subscribe function, that's my personal preference. Same as I've done in the Xbox forum etc. I participated in a thread about dodgy Controllers, my controller is fine - why? because Im interested in the problem, the cause, and the fix.

If transmetatarsal amputations interested me I possibly would participate in a thread about them (if I stumbled across one randomly like I did with this one), but they do not, not even in the slightest so I wouldn't comment in one. Your use of the word 'logic' is ironic considering how skewed your own is with that scenario given at the end, talk about a tenuous link.

I did not state my receiver has a fault, or even that I suspect it may have one. I simply entered as it interested me, which I've already said. I am now repeating myself... Tbh I wish I hadn't said anything atall.

If I may offer some advice now, try not assuming in future, and not every post expects or warrants a reply, but thanks anyway.

Gunner84, I am sorry for derailing your thread. Im not here to enter ridiculous arguments with strangers so this will be my last post in it. I'll keep an eye on this thread and I hope you get the resolution you desire. Good luck mate!

Well don't I feel like a plonker, I tried all the other hdmi connections and it worked so I thought I would try game and bluray hdmi slots again, it seems I hadn't been pushing the hdmi cables In Far enough!!!

Both the bluray and game hdmi inputs seem to need a bit more of a wiggle to connect fully.

Seems I was being a right donut after all, hopefully that was the problem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom