AVR with Sub frequently manually changed between on and off

PlotinusRedux

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've got a Denon XR1600H, B&W 603 s2 floorstanding speakers, and an SVS 2000 Pro sub, but this question should apply to any 2.1 AVR setup that I only use for stereo not surround.

Recommendation from SVS is: Front speakers Small with cross-over at 60hz.

That works great but I only use the sub when my wife isn't home, otherwise the bass disturbs her in other rooms.

So I need to switch the sub off when she's home and on when she's not.

So, should I use the SVS hifi settings by using Front Speakers: Large and Main+LFE with crossover set as high as it will go and the SVS itself set to 50 hz crossover with 24 db/octave, so the front speakers still get the full bass when the sub is turned off and the SVS handles what frequencies it plays at what volume?

Or just manually change the AVR's settings every single time I turn the sub on or off?

Thanks for any replies.

Simply set the subwoofer option to none in the speaker configurations. The AV receiver will then automatically regard your speakers as being LAGE and send full range audio to them. THe front speakers cannot be designated SMALL in a setup devoid of a sub and the crossovers on;y apply to speakers designated SMALL. The discrete LFE channel associated with multichannel formats will also be sent to your front speakers in a setup devpid of a sub.

No need to do anything but set the sub as not being present in the speaker configurations. The AV receiver will do the rest.

If and when once again utilising the sub, set the fronts as SMALL and use a crossover no lower than 80Hz.

The sub should have been configured as follows prior to calibrating the setup:

• Volume/Gain set to what would equate to 10 o'clock and no higher than mid way
  • Frequency filter on the sub set as high as it will go or set to a dedicate LFE option
  • Phase set to 0°

THen run the calibration. Oist calibration, set the speakers as SMALL with crossovers no lower than 80Hz.

Last edited:
Just press pure direct, if your amp has it.

The sub would still be in effect if the incoming audio includes a discrete LFE channel though. The LFE channel is always portrayed by the sub if a sub is present within a setup.

@dante01 Are you saying just manually switch between no sub and sub as I turn it on and off (usually twice a day), and hopefully the AVR will have remembered the cross-over, etc., so I don't have to set them again?

@rccarguy2 I haven't been able to find a pure direct setting but I'll double check.

The sub would still be in effect if the incoming audio includes a discrete LFE channel though. The LFE channel is always portrayed by the sub if a sub is present within a setup.

"any 2.1 AVR setup that I only use for stereo not surround."

You don't have to do it each time you power the unit on or off. It will retain the same sub configuration until you change it.

"any 2.1 AVR setup that I only use for stereo not surround."

Only if the incoming audio is 2 channel stereo in nature. If it were multichannel then it will still include an LFE channel.The fact that you've only 2 passive speakers doesn't negate the LFE channel and that channel would still be portrayed by the sub if the sub is active.

You'd also lose room EQ correction if engaging the PURE DIRECT mode.

@dante01 I meant as I turn the sub on and off (using the sub's power switch) and change it to "no sub" and back in the AVR's menu.

rccarguy2 is correct, I'm playing video content through the TV's speakers so there shouldn't really be an LFE channel in the audio source--I don't really watch movies, etc., and the news is easier to hear with the TV's "dialog" setting.

I don't have a pure direct mode at any rate, though.

Basically I'm just using the AVR as a stereo amp for music and turn the sub on and off with the power switch depending on my wife is home or not--so want full bass through the front speakers when it's off but not when it's on (to prevent double bass), or to use the sub's own crossover when it's on maybe which I think Front=Large and LFE+Main would accomplish?

Last edited:
Another option is if you have multiple DSP modes, you could adjust one so sub is reduced all the way down. Means you lose LFE channel but if you're not fussed.

I think some Denons have two speaker presets, I think that may be the higher end models though. So preset 1 is speakers set to small 80hz, sub on. Another preset is speakers larger, sub off.

TV still access multichannel audio and most can and will output them to an AV receiver. You could configure the TV to output PCM if using a digital connection and this would result in that TV only ever outputting 2 channel PCM to the AV receiver.

As I've said, this will negate and bypass the AV receiver's Audyssey room EQ correction and not only its bass management!
and? If source material is stereo means sub is off, mains to large.

I think some Denons have two speaker presets, I think that may be the higher end models though. So preset 1 is speakers set to small 80hz, sub on. Another preset is speakers larger, sub off.

His receiver has one set of configurations for the speakers and no option to store another or have a dedicated 2 channel setup. Only the higher tier models have the options you are refering to.

and? If source material is stereo means sub is off, mains to large.
and? What has that got to do with room EQ correction?

Set the AV receiver to PURE DIRECT mode and you bypass all toom EQ correction and or any of the receiver's Audyssey features.

and? What has that got to do with room EQ correction?

Set the AV receiver to PURE DIRECT mode and you bypass all toom EQ correction and or any of the receiver's Audyssey features.

In this mode the sub won't be active just the left and right

Actually I do have a direct mode, just found it on the remote, wasn't in any of the settings and it does exactly what I wanted.

"Music mode" plays through the sub and reduces the bass to the front speakers, "direct mode" cuts off the sub and plays the full bass through the front speakers, exactly what I wanted--"music" and sub when the wife is out, "direct" with no sub and no front speaker crossover when she's home--I don't even have to touch the sub's power switch.

Thanks for the help!

In this mode the sub won't be active just the left and right

Yes, but with the room EQ correction also being bypassed. PURE DIRECT negates not only the bass management but also the room EQ correction and other Audyssey features.

Setting the sub to the NONE option in the speaker configurations will result in full range audio being sent to the front left and right speakers as well as an LFE channel if and when present. This option also allows for the room EQ correction and the Audyssey feature to remain in operation.

Last edited:
Yes, but with the room EQ correction also being bypassed. PURE DIRECT negates not only the bass management but also the room EQ correction and other Audyssey features.
Yes it does

Yes it does what?

No it doesn't. Audyssey room EQ correction and the associated filters are bypassed by the PURE DIRECT mode.

FACT

If you engage PURE DIRECT then not only will the AV receiver's bass management be bypassed, but the room EQ correction filters (Audyssey MultEQ) will also not be applied in that mode.

Jesus has no influence over this.

Last edited:
I might just take the subwoofer back--even with the 32' rank in use on my organ records with FLAC I could just barely detect any difference between direct without sub and music mode with sub and everything else pretty much no difference (except some dance music I don't listen to but just tried as a test where the $800 sub just added an unpleasant thump). The sub made a huge difference at the store's listening room but now I suspect they just had a high crossover frequency interfering with the B&W's even with the sub disconnected.

Being able to switch between sub and no sub with a single remote button really helped me evaluate it, though, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom