AVR with existing Naim/Sonus Faber stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by funboy3, Feb 20, 2005.

1. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would greatly appreciate some suggestions for the reciever. The dialogue is important to me and I want a subtle all encompassing approach rather than an impressive sound. I prefer a warm sound to a clinincal cold one.It must have pre-outs as I will be using my Naim 52/135 combo for the L&R channels.

Budget upt to a £1,000

I will have an SF centre as well adn use Electa Amator II's for the stereo

Thank you in advance

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Hi...had you considered using a processor instead of a receiver.....if you wanted the best possible use made of your Naims and the SF speakers,it may be worth considering.

When I added AV to my stereo,I made,what for me,I considered to be a mistake by buying an AV receiver to add to the system,and found the sound(after using a Linn Keltik and Krell system)to be lacking,and you may well find the same.

You could add a used TAG AV32R,Lexicon or Meridian,and a relatively inexpensive set of rear speakers and amps as the basis of a system that will perform as well as before on music,but should still sound pretty good for AV use,considering the quality of your current gear.

What did you have in mind for your rear speakers?...and sub if you'd thought of one for AV use?

3. funboy3

funboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - that woukd be the preferred route but I want to keep the cost down - certainly to start with. So I want to spend about 750-1,000 obn the receiver

I have no idea for the rears - eventually SF but my sofa is against the rear wall so I thought about dipoles like Mission's or Wharfedales

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    That sort of money will buy you a lot of receiver,but still won't match up to your existing gear for sound quality.

I can understand your wish to keep costs down,but I can say that in my case it simply added to them,as I sold the receiver in under 4 mths and bought a processor instead.

If you do wish to go down the receiver route,any of the Marantz,Denon or Pioneer models in your rpice range would suffice in terms of power output,stability,and features....just be very sure to try each out in your own system and home before buying,to ensure you get something that works well enough for you.

For power and load tolerance,the Pioneer is good,and the Denon and marantz may offer a more laid back sound...just be sure to test!

As to rear speakers,dipoles are fine,especially those designed for wall/corner mounting,although at a pinch,standmounted speakers mounted as far back as possible may also work.
    There are also wall mounted speakers from Sonus Faber,which would match the rest of your system sonically.