• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVR with AC Switched Outlet & HDMI

PannyAdams

I recently upgraded my Denon 2805 for the Onkyo SR605 - but didn't realise that the SR605 does not have a switched AC outlet! And I used the switch outlet on the Denon to power a speaker switch.....argh!

I think the Onkyo SR705, 805, 875 and 905 have a switched outlet - but can anyone think of a sub £400 amp with HDMI switching and an AC Switched outlet?

Does the SR 606 have one?

Thanks

Barry

rwniel

Have a look at the Yamaha RX-V1700 - it's becoming a bit tricky to find new now though. The UK models have one AC switched outlet. Also the DSP-AX861 which is available from the likes of Peter Tyson (- again, one switched outlet). The less expensive DSP-AX761 does as well.

The SR606 doesn't (- as you said, you need to otherwise look at the SR705 or above)

Robert

PannyAdams

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if any of these amps upscale? or (more importantly) upconvert signals from other source types to HDMI?

rwniel

Both the RX-VX1700 and DSP-AX861 upconvert analogue video sources to output over hdmi. The cheaper AX761 model doesn't. Upscaling comes in with the DSP-AX863/RX-VX1800 (which are above your budget).

Robert

PannyAdams

I am quite tempted by the Yamaha's.....having read the reviews they seem to have good sound and excellent build quality - but lacking HD Audio Formats and they are a little light on Video upconversion.

So, I suppose with a Onkyo SR875 as the benchmark, how close can I get without spending £800?

I need

HDMI switching (at least 2)
Upconversion to HDMI
Upscaling to HDMI (Preferable)
AC switched outlet
HD Audio support (preferable)

The Onkyo SR705 does it all without the Upscaling for £600, Any others? Anyone?

rwniel

How about the Denon AVR-2308 - all but the hd audio in-built decoding for around £500. All these amps naturally do LPCM over hdmi with the source doing the decoding. The AVR-2808 does everything on your list for around £750.

Robert

PannyAdams

Thanks again. As an owner of the VX1700 do you see the upconversion of sources to HDMI as "Poor"?

rwniel

Barry, I decided to run a spare component cable I had and not upconvert over hdmi at all - that's the way I got around what I would describe as niggling differences. I wouldn't describe it as poor exactly, just that I decided it was better to take one extra bit of processing out of the display equation. Had I not had the spare cable laying around, I probably would have got used to it. Certainly not enough to put me off personally, given the amps other strengths.

Robert

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom