Quantcast

Answered AVR vs Soundbar for my living room.

Coulson

Thanks I will make sure to test it. What sort of temp do I want to be below? There’s a massive cutout at the back in the middle enclosure so hopefully that will aid in keeping things cool. :thumbsup:
You need at least at least a couple of inches apparently. I don't have that so I just connect USB fans and and put them on top of the AVR.

Toobad

Denon don't seem to publish maximum or minimum operating temperatures but I would expect some kind of thermal trip protection device to kick in at around 85C. There are AVR coolers that sit on top of the receiver if you have enough space above and are concerned how hot the enclosed area is getting. AC Infinity have a good reputation but I don't think they are currently available in the UK. Of course you can buy it from Amazon Germany for 119 euros if you think it could be an elegant solution:

AC Infinity Aircom T9 for 17" Receivers

On the other hand, just open the door and stand a room fan in front to create an airflow through the unit :)

Coulson

Denon don't seem to publish maximum or minimum operating temperatures but I would expect some kind of thermal trip protection device to kick in at around 85C. There are AVR coolers that sit on top of the receiver if you have enough space above and are concerned how hot the enclosed area is getting. AC Infinity have a good reputation but I don't think they are currently available in the UK. Of course you can buy it from Amazon Germany for 119 euros if you think it could be an elegant solution:

AC Infinity Aircom T9 for 17" Receivers

On the other hand, just open the door and stand a room fan in front to create an airflow through the unit :)
You really don't need those. AVRs run hot a lot as normal so I've not seen the protection device kick in once. But with a USB fan my one now runs cool and I only have an inch clearance but the back is open so I suppose that makes a difference

L4_Isoside

My ikea units i simply left the rear panels off - I've had two AVRS - a Denon and now a NAD in there (currently with other units such as the iNuke powering to 18" subs) and the heat has never been a real issue. I personally don't see any point in additional cooling - if the environment its in will not let it run cool enough then it's probably in a sealed box or multiple amps are probably stacked on it and I cant see an extra fan helping that :rotfl:.

Coulson

My ikea units i simply left the rear panels off - I've had two AVRS - a Denon and now a NAD in there (currently with other units such as the iNuke powering to 18" subs) and the heat has never been a real issue. I personally don't see any point in additional cooling - if the environment its in will not let it run cool enough then it's probably in a sealed box or multiple amps are probably stacked on it and I cant see an extra fan helping that :rotfl:.
For me personally I don't like the idea of all that heat (they do get very hot) just sitting there in a relatively small and confined space. Yes the back is open but there is no circulation. All the fan does is suck heat out so that it dissipates into the room.

Toobad

The problem is knowing whether heat is an issue. I guess it isn't right up until the point when it is o_O If a unit fails at say 30 months, it is normally outside the warranty period so all you have is a dead unit. There is no doubt that running in a cooler environment is beneficial to the lifespan of electronic components and cooling requires airflow. Decent computer case layouts are very carefully designed to optimise the air pathways between the intake and exhaust fans

Removing the whole back of the centre section of that Ikea cabinet can only improve things as would installing a cheap USB-powered fan in an optimum position to push the hot air out of the back. The AC Infinity Aircom unit may well be OTT for what you are trying to protect but would almost certainly give the greatest peace of mind if you have the space to accommodate it. My free Richer Sounds 6-year warranty helps me sleep better at night :D

AC Infinity Aircom T9 Honest Review

Alsh

@Alsh - any update on this please?

Sorry! Its been quite none stop here at the minute. Currently fighting to get virgin to come and install our Internet.

So I now have the center, left, right and subwoofer plugged in. I haven't done anything in regards to audyssey or setting anything up. Just out of the box with the instructions.

Now the subwoofer. Oh my word, this thing is absolutely insane. It shakes the entire house!! Absolutely out of this world quality and I feel I've barely scratched the surface with it.

The sofas are due 21st of October so that's when Ill then get the bronze 2s setup and wall mounted as want to make sure they're at an accurate height in relation to being sat on the sofa!

I'd put some more pics up but I'd like to have a final reveal once everything's how I want it. Plus it's quite messy with us sort of having to chuck stuff everywhere at the minute haha.

Toobad

@Alsh - Just noticed that your BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR subwoofer has picked up a 2019 AV Forums Editors Choice Award. It's been a month since your sofas arrived so I assume you have got everything dialled in to your liking despite the steep learning curve. Your installation is now a million miles away from your initial AVR vs. Soundbar query which is inevitable, as the one thing we excel at on these forums is emptying your pockets :rotfl:

Perhaps you would like to post your final thoughts and let us know if you think you have found audio nirvana, well at least for this month :p ***cough*** ATMOS ***cough***

Alsh

@Alsh - Just noticed that your BK Electronics P12-300SB-PR subwoofer has picked up a 2019 AV Forums Editors Choice Award. It's been a month since your sofas arrived so I assume you have got everything dialled in to your liking despite the steep learning curve. Your installation is now a million miles away from your initial AVR vs. Soundbar query which is inevitable, as the one thing we excel at on these forums is emptying your pockets :rotfl:

Perhaps you would like to post your final thoughts and let us know if you think you have found audio nirvana, well at least for this month :p ***cough*** ATMOS ***cough***
Morning! Terribly sorry for not keeping this updated nearly as much as I'd like. Life has taken over somewhat.

Unfortunately no, I'm still not quite there! Currently running only 3.1. About 3 weeks ago or so we were victims of a break in where they tried to steal my car. I decided I wanted rid as it's a performance car and I didn't want to risk it happening again so the speaker setup has had to take a back seat as we've had to upgrade our security (CCTV sytem etc) so haven't been able to dedicate the funds!

I was wondering actually since I'm running 3.1 is it worth me calibrating with Audyssey at all yet as I've held off.

I've also noticed a slight issue and I'm not sure what the culprit could be. But sometimes when I turn the AV system on with the TV, the TV will be set to the correct HDMI source, but the source from the AV simply doesn't show up on the TV. Only way I've found to get it back so far is to switch everything off at the plug and back on again. It's happened twice in the last 24 hours.

In the coming weeks I'll hopefully be moving to 5.1 so I'll make sure to update when I do! Still overwhelmed with how good this sub is. Been watching a fair bit of 4K content through my Panasonic DVD player too and I must say it's cracking!!

Toobad

Sorry to hear you've suffered an attempted theft of your car, sadly there are some people who just think they can just take what they want and now you are further out of pocket trying to prevent this.

I think you would benefit from running Audessey over your 3.1 system, it will optimise the performance of that subwoofer and let you hear the film track as the audio engineer intended. Run it in Automatic setup using all 8 measurement positions no more than 2ft. apart then enter Manual setup and change the size of your LCR speakers to Small. You can then set your Crossovers to around 80-90 Hz. In Bass the mode should be LFE and LPF for LFE should be 120 Hz. I set Dynamic EQ to On as I don't listen at 0dB (-9db gives me the immersion I crave). Overlord has a lot of LFE going on below 20Hz and I'm sure your BK will rise to the challenge with its passive radiator arrangement.

I thought you were switching everything via your Harmony Hub. Check you haven't got ARC enabled in the Denon nor the TV, it can sometimes cause switching issues.