Question AVR upgrade to Atmos via Yamaha/Anthem

X

xjkfx

Hi forum - you've provided some excellent help in the past, so I hope for some more.

In my next stage, I think it's time to get my speakers some proper amplification, and at the same time make my movie watching experience more immersive.

The plan is to:

• upgrade my Onkyo AVR to a Yamaha RX-A3050
  • add a B&W CMC S2 centre
  • add KEF R50 up front

I was really set on buying an Anthem 520, but the new imported price point looks way off. I'll be running 5.1.2, but want room for possible 7.1.4 future upgrade.

Any constructive thoughts would be fantastic, as not sure if I've overlooked anything, eg Denon/Marantz/Pioneer. I'm very music focused however, and listen to movies quite loud at -10dB.

Thanks,
Jk

Last edited by a moderator:
Marantz SR7010 is also worth a look.

If possible at all forget the Kef and get ceiling speakers. It's a far superior solution.

Is it as musical?
I had a Yamaha RX-V1900 previously, which I bought mainly for its musicality. I found the SR7009 to be more musical than the Yamaha, much better.

I was really set on buying an Anthem 520, but the new imported price point looks way off. I'll be running 5.1.2, but want room for possible 7.1.4 future upgrade.

FWIW I am fairly sure the Anthem 520, while a great receiver, does not support Atmos or other object based audio mixes.

Thanks, I think I've given up on Anthem.

Should I consider the A2050 if I'm not using all the speaker outputs, or will I suffer with different DACs etc inside?

I assume the R50s are better than nothing?

Thanks, I think I've given up on Anthem.

Should I consider the A2050 if I'm not using all the speaker outputs, or will I suffer with different DACs etc inside?

Here are the differences between the DACs onboard the RXA2050 and the 3050:

Yamaha are using ESS SABRE DACs in the RX-A1050 and above, with the ES9006 being used on the RX- A1050, two ES9006 DACs on the RX-A2050 and an ES9016 and ES9006 DAC on the RX-A3050. Combined with these is their new Polymer Multi-layer capacitors, specially developed with Rohm technologies in association with Yamaha. These new capacitors are tiny in size but pack a huge punch, they tell us.

Yamaha 2015 Aventage AV Receiver Line-up detailed

You basically get the ES9016 over the RXA2050's dual ES9006 with the RXA3050.

By adopting the ESS SABRE32 Ultra and SABRE Premier DACs. the new AVENTAGE A/V receivers acquire ESS’s critically acclaimed SABRESOUND™ featuring spectacular audio, unsurpassed sound stage and jitter-free music clarity to compliment Yamaha’s outstanding audio processing technologies and amplifiers to deliver the purest, best-sounding audio to the discerning home entertainment enthusiasts.

Unlike conventional sigma-delta (ΣΔ) DACs, the ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DAC incorporates ESS’s innovative patented HyperStream™ circuits to deliver spectacular music with up to 128dB dynamic range and 0.0003% (-110dB) total harmonic distortion, free from clock jitter common in digital audio systems. The 32-bit HyperStream™ modulator is capable of 100% modulation and unconditional stability; the Revolver™ Dynamic Element Matching ensures performance over a wide dynamic range, while a Time Domain Jitter Eliminator removes the digital jitter that causes distortion.

The ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra Audio DAC supports 8-channel or stereo conversion from digital audio input in PCM, DSD or SPDIF formats, features click-free soft mute, volume control, de-emphasis, programmable zero detect, per-channel customizable roll-off filter characteristics and consumes less than 100mW.

The ES9006 SABRE Premier 8-channel DAC, with 120dB DNR and -102dB THD, was introduced in 2008 and has been prominently featured and used in many high performance Blu-ray players, A/V receivers, professional and consumer A/V equipments.

Yamaha’s AVENTAGE AV Receiver Division Chief Developer commented: “We have recently introduced the latest AVENTAGE AV receiver series (RX-A1030/A2030/A3030) together with the long-awaited high-end separate AV pre-amplifier CX-A5000. We could achieve superior signal-to-noise, dynamic and natural sound quality for the ultimate multi-channel home theater experience as well as high performance 2-channel playback by utilizing the ESS SABRE/SABRE32 DAC.”

Robert Wong, vice-president of marketing and worldwide sales for ESS Technology, said, “We are thrilled that Yamaha has selected both the ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DAC and ES9006 SABRE Premier DAC for its latest AVENTAGE A/V receivers. To experience SABRESOUND™ on A/V receivers, audio enthusiasts have until now been limited to analog sources equipped with SABRE D/A converters. By making the ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DAC and ES9006 SABRE Premier DAC the centerpiece of the system architecture, these new Yamaha receivers will enable audio enthusiasts to fully enjoy SABRESOUND™ from all digital and analog sources without any compromise.”

The ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DAC and ES9006 SABRE Premier DAC are available now in 48-LQFP package. Sample chips, reference design and volume price information are available from ESS or your local ESS distributor and representatives.

Yamaha Selects ESS’s SABRE32 Ultra and SABRE Premier DACs for Its Award Winning AVENTAGE Series of A/V Receivers | Business Wire

You shoud also consider XTZ's S2 speakers as a viable alternative to KEF's R50 speakers, especially if not actually needing the KEF speakers to tonally match other speakers in your setup. These speakers can be used as upward firing, conventional surround or height speakers. You can even mount them on a ceiling if you want. THey lack the crossovers associated with the speakers labelled Atmos so XTZ don't have to pay Dolby to use the name or for the patents Dolby have on the crossover. They are also cheaper than the KEF R50 speakers.

XTZ Cinema S2 "Almost" Atmos Height Speaker Preview

Cinema S2 Atmosphere

t6H733.jpg

Last edited:

That's as far as I'd go. Though some other members are reporting startling results. There you go.

Thanks everyone. Really useful. I think I'll give these XTZ s2 a try. Better to pay almost half the price to see if the concept works! Looks like the Yamaha A3050 will get my vote too. Should report back in a month or two once bought and set up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom