Question AVR reliability?

bacon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I recently purchased a Yamaha rx v677 and wednesday last week (after around 8 days use) the video output stopped functioning completely.

Reset the AVR through the menu on the front of the device and nothing, I managed to get a glimpse of video output for about 5 seconds but it was all distorted, red and green dots before it disappeared again.

I sent it back for RMA and am now awaiting their confirmation that the video card has borked itself.

So my question is, is this a common occurance on modern AVR's or have I just been very unlucky? The manager on the phone was sympathetic and said it's unusual for Yamaha to be unreliable.

I have to decide now when he calls me back whether I get another 677 Yamaha or get a refund/try something else. I was tempted to try the Sony 1050 for a bit extra investment.

What are your opinion regarding trying another Yamaha?

Thanks

Mike

We have always used Yamaha on our installs and never had a single fault.

You werent hot-plugging any HDMI cables were you ?

No I wasn't, I was watching a video stream on my Pi2 when the video just cut out and that was how it remained.

No I wasn't, I was watching a video stream on my Pi2 when the video just cut out and that was how it remained.

One big issue with the pi is that it does not have a proper shutdown function by default.
So depending on how you are actually controlling it, whether its via some third party IR controller or by simply removing the power, it is the electrical equivalent of hotplugging, and in addition to corrupting its
SD card ( a known issue, well reported) it may also have been responsible for frying your receivers HDMI chip.

Ive been messing about with Pi 2's as media centre's and it has become obvious to me that without a third party reliable and controlled shutdown method, it runs up quite a bill in unrecoverable SD cards and damaged components.
A known good pi PSU is also absolutely essential, cheap ebay Pi PSU,s are asking for trouble!
Unstable pi PSU,s are again the equvalent of hotplugging and risk damage to the pi and whatever components its attached too!

For me, the pi is too risky to attach to expensive gear at the moment.

I use OSMC with Kodi on my Pi, controlled via my Tv remote via HDMI-CEC, I just select shutdown from the OS shut down menu and let it turn itself off correctly, I don't just pull the plug.

The Pi is working as intended, no corrupt sd cards or anything like that, I use a 2.1A Power supply as well, not a cheap Chinese one off of ebay.

How many AVR's have been killed using a Pi2 like this? I don't know how it can be used any safer to my knowledge?

Same as Bacon says above - been using a Pi, and a a Pi2 since they were launched. It's on 24/7, well used and I've never had a single destroyed SD card.

That said, I'm using a good quality PSU and a rapid class SD card.

Using cheap kit is always asking for trouble. Use good kit and use the proper shut down feature!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom