AVR Power Amp Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Henry, Feb 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Bout of upgraditis again! :suicide:

Current Kit:

DV79, AVR300, 3x M&K K17s, 2xK4s, V1250THX Select Sub.

I was wondering what people's views were on adding a power amp(s) to my set up and whether it'd be a worthwhile upgrade. If so which power amp(s) would you recommend trying?:smashin:

2. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hey it's that man from the same smelly city!

If your system sounds great then honestly mate leave it as it is - if it aint broke and all that....

However ( :devil: ), since you ask - adding a power amp is always the best step towards the pre pro system. May pay you to wait to see what the new Arcam P1000 is like - I am sure our well known friend on Saville St will get em in!

Trust me when I say that the law of diminishing returns is never more applicable than to hifi and AV. The secret is system syngery and once you start tinkering with a good system I can predict an overblown credit card and many frustrated trips ahead!

Darren

PS:- This addiction is a serious issue that psychologists recognise as incurable. I found it far easier to kick the fags in to touch than denying myself one more upgrade!!

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adding outboard amps to an AVR300 can be a great upgrade that results in dramatic sound improvement.

But the best way to tell is to try it for yourself. Find a dealer that will let you home audition the amp(s) you're interested in and judge for yourself if it's worth the cost.

Given that, I added 3 amps (Alpha 10, Alpha10P/3, Alpha 9P) to my AVR300 and love the resulting improvement in sound quality.

Dean

4. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have recently replaced my AVR200 with the 300 and it's fantastic :thumbsup: (BTW this upgrade has left me with a redundant AVR200 silver and a pair of B&W CDM 1NT's & a CDM CNT in the cherry finish, anybody interested?)

I have the fronts powered by an A85 and two P85s (B&W N804), the centre (B&W N HTM2) by the '300 and one channel of a P85/3, one pair of surrounds (B&W CDM SNT) by the '300 and the remaining two channels of the P85/3. Only the centre rear pair (B&W CDM SNT) are not bi amped but bi wired. It is a tad excessive but sure does sound good. :smashin:

The extra amps do make a difference but it's not night & day, and having heard the improvement I would not like to go back to the 300 on its own.

I picked the extra power amps up from ebay or ex demo sales and made a great saving. The only down side is that I have far too many silver boxes in my living room and the amount of cables that are required is beyond a joke. My electricity bill has gone up as well!

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I use a P90 with my AVR300 to run the fronts - made a slight but noticeable improvement for stereo.

John

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Got me! Ultimately, I'd like to move to a processor & power amp system so it's kind of a step in that direction and spreading it out eases the cost a little!!! But obviously if it's not going to make much of a difference to my system, then I'd probably wait a while!

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No but I'd take the SNTs off your hands!!! :laugh:

8. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Added a P25/3 to my AV300 and it made a significant difference. The 300 biamped was good but it was worth adding the 3 channel amp for biamping. I'm wondering what a FMJ 23/ 33 or even a c30 would do for stereo then running it in processor mode for movies via the 300.

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Henry,

I would try the MK K17 on your Naim stereo amp, to see how the MK sound with a high end amplifier.

If the MK are great with the Naim, then you know what the target is :)

You know how that Naim sounds compared to the Arcam :smashin:

Mark.

10. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Good shout, Mark. Will have to wait until the dining room's a little clearer though before I can try it!

11. scrappy

scrappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    Hi, I am fairly new to the site and the upgrade world and was wondering how you wired up all your kit. how are the A85/P85's connected to the 300? I have an AVR200 with an 8P as well as an oldish 8 intergrated amp and I am struggling to connect it all together! I am currently using the 8P to biamp the fronts, I was unsure of how to connect the 8 amp to biamp as it has pre outs only and on contacting Arcam they said I can connect the 200 via pre outs to the 8 amp via any line in input and set the volume to about half, I did this but it did not sound as good as the 8P. But I dont know how to connect either amp to bi amp the centre.Any thoughts would be of great help.
    Thanks.

12. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has the integrated amp got a processor mode? I do not know the model. The A85/ FMJ22 has and you can use this mode and the AV200 would control the volume. It's then a matter of connecting the preouts from the AV200 to a line in on the integrated, something like tape in? Then the preouts from this amp to the power amp, run HF from one amp and LF from the other. I use the power amp for mid/ bass but its which sounds best to you. If you only have two channels then you may not be able to run a centre!

13. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya
    Sorry to put forward another Q but all along the same lines -
    I have an AVR200 with a Rega Power amp on the fronts (bi-wired from the rega)

I have tried treb from the 200 and bass from the Rega (stereo fronts) but does not quite sound right. Sounds best bi-wired just from the rega.

Would you think there would be an improvement, and would it be worth demo-ing another Rega, so one for the treb and the other for the bass ? - the 200 would be feeding two power amps just for the fronts.......?

Look forward hearing any thoughts
    Cheers