AVR or AV Processor what to get next question

fatrich

As above lol

Mr Wolf

Jester1066

Jester1066

OK, why not just connect that source to the AVR instead?
Not possible if the Apps (Disney+ etc) are accessed through my my smart TV

Edit: I also occasionally revert to good old terrestrial FTA tuner - in the event my virgin service goes down etc

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Just tried dune 4k Atmos, from built in media player to tonewinner,.issues with lock on. So it's either the TV, tonewinner, or the cable. Pops

I do have 7m hdmi cable though

Last edited:

Mr Wolf

Not possible if the Apps (Disney+ etc) are accessed through my my smart TV
OK, two thoughts.

Firstly, my understanding is that compared to dedicated streaming source devices (Apple 4K TV etc.) TVs are really not that good.

Secondly, AFAIK no current video streaming service use HD audio, the most they carry is Dolby Digital Plus which can be sent down regular ARC.

Jester1066

OK in response:

Firstly, my understanding is that compared to dedicated streaming source devices (Apple 4K TV etc.) TVs are really not that good.
Agreed- I'm exploring dedicated streaming devices for this very reason
Secondly, AFAIK no current video streaming service use HD audio, the most they carry is Dolby Digital Plus which can be sent down regular ARC.
Again you are correct. But I Also occasionally use FTA tuner (in TV) and that may be different (although I confess I don't actually know!).

All I do know though is since updating the firmware on my 4500 to get eARC - it's been more stable than ARC ever was!

But you have given "food for thought - especially once I get an external streaming device.

Mr Wolf

Having just checked, I think you might need eARC to be able to send packaged Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus to the AVR, @dante01 , is that correct?

Jester1066

Having just checked, I think you might need eARC to be able to send packaged Atmos metadata via Dolby Digital Plus to the AVR, @dante01 , is that correct?
Yep I also think that to be true. I certainly receive Dolby Atmos metadata when watching any Marvel stuff through Disney app on my Samsung Q95T

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
If you've got e-arc and it works, great. Tv and pre has if..4 k.18gps cable. But not working.

So I wouldn't pay the extra/discount non e-arc AV pre

dante01

Distinguished Member

Conventional ARC will suffice. You can convey DD+ via standard ARC on its own or inclusive of Atmos metadata. You would need eARC to convey Atmos in association with HD TrueHD though, but this would only be required if the source were an external source connected to one of the TV's other HDMI inputs. Streaming services use DD+ not TrueHD and Atmos metadata would be packaged with DD+ if accessing such audio via streaming services or the streaming service apps onboard a TV.

fatrich

The apps ie Netflix, amazon, disney+ on the LGC9 are better quality image wise than most standalone streaming players
However i have Apple TV4k but never tried Netflix, amazon , Disney+ ect ect
I will test it this evening to check like for like and if there's not a lot in it i can move forward to say the Arcam avr390 as earc wont really matter
have i got this right?

Mr Wolf

Conventional ARC will suffice. You can convey DD+ via standard ARC on its own oe inclusive of Atmos metadata. You would need eARC to convey Atmos in association with HD TRueHD though, but this would only be required ifg the source were an external source cinnected to one of the TV other HDMI inputs. Streaming services use DD+ and Atmos metadata would be packaged with DD+ if accessing such audio via streaming services or the streaming service apps onboard a TV.
Thanks for clarifying that.

In that case, unless you simply want to use your TV as switching hub, eARC doesn't really offer any advantage at the moment over regular ARC. Buying into it is more a case of future proofing for HD audio streams if and when they eventually come.

Frankly, if your AV journey is such that you'll ultimately be going for a processor over an AVR then I really think you'll be investing the £200 required for a better external streaming device. Having the best possible source can make an appreciable difference.

Jester1066

In that case, unless you simply want to use your TV as switching hub, eARC doesn't really offer any advantage at the moment over regular ARC. Buying into it is more a case of future proofing for HD audio streams if and when they eventually come.

Frankly, if your AV journey is such that you'll ultimately be going for a processor over an AVR then I really think you'll be investing the £200 required for a better external streaming device. Having the best possible source can make an appreciable difference.
Based on Dantes reply/clarification, I now agree with you! 👍🏼

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
The apps ie Netflix, amazon, disney+ on the LGC9 are better quality image wise than most standalone streaming players
However i have Apple TV4k but never tried Netflix, amazon , Disney+ ect ect
I will test it this evening to check like for like and if there's not a lot in it i can move forward to say the Arcam avr390 as earc wont really matter
have i got this right?

Personally I'd just use your Denon for a while longer rather rush into a AVR, when you really want a AV pre.

dante01

Distinguished Member

eARC's main advantage so far has been for gamers wanting to connect their consoles directly to the TV. Games consoles output multichannel PCM for games, something conventional ARC cannot handle. eARC facilitates the conveyance of multichannel PCM as well as HD formats such as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. Those with next gen HDMI 2.1 consoles can also get away with not having to buy an HDMI version 2.1 equipped AVR if they've already an earlier eARC enabled AVR.

I guess that there are other reasons to use eARC such as instances where you've a source encoded with HDR10+ HDR and you;d an AV receiver that doesn't support HDR10+?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
One other benefit of eARC is the fact that it isn't reliant upon HDMI CEC for its functionality. You can operate eARC without having to have HDMI Control engaged.

HDMI CEC is the spawn of satan!

fatrich

Arcam avr390 were £999 but seem to have all sold out now

Zarf2007

I would make a cheeky offer on this and you could always use the onboard amp's for additional speakers as they are powerful enough:

fatrich

I would make a cheeky offer on this and you could always use the onboard amp's for additional speakers as they are powerful enough:

Made a cheeky enquiry

fatrich

Messaged the person selling the above , its suppose to be brand new unregistered and local to me ive offered £1200.00

Zarf2007

Messaged the person selling the above , its suppose to be brand new unregistered and local to me ive offered £1200.00
Good stuff, fingers crossed they accept 😀

fatrich

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones