AVR or AV Processor what to get next question

fatrich

Im sure this question has been asked countless time but here goes:

My current set up:
Ive currently got as Denon AVR4500H and apart from the Atmos speakers i use x7 Power amp/amps to power the speakers, the denon has and does everything i need but want something that does it better

I am collecting a Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 this weekend and will probably sell most of my Audiolab 8000M's & 8000P's in the coming weeks

the speaker set up I'm currently using are Ken Krisel Q125 Quattro LCR, M&K 150's on the rear back and M&K CS29's at the sides and x2 SVS SB1000 subs

and have an LG Oled 65C9 which has earc as does the Denon av receiver

I maybe looking to replace the 4500 for an av processor or av receiver

can anyone point me in the right direction, as a lot of modern day processors and receivers have the near same processing capabilities but receivers are a lot cheaper than a standalone av processor but i dont need the receivers power and receivers seem a lot easier to re sell in the future

What ever i get i would lik it to have earc and whilst Ive never used balance XLR's before that would be a plus and x2 sub outputs and has the ability to turn off the power output of the receiver and use all external power amp/amps

Ideally looking for suggestions between £2500 to £3000 is at my financial limit

Thank you to anyone in advance
Richard

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
You'll find most AV pre and poweramps with XLR aren't fully balanced. They're likely unbalanced over XLR connector. So won't have full advantage of xlr. My AV pre pretty sure isn't fully balanced but my Amps are. But you'll have the more secure and better shielded cable.

I have read two people upgraded from Denon 4500 to then same AV pre as me and reported superior sound, so a higher end AV pre with better room correction should get even better results, but £3000 is still "lower end" of AV pres , upto that price under that you have tonewinner at200/300, emotiva mc1, iota, marantz av7706, av8805, anthem avm70 with the later ones a bit above that budget. I think avm70 was about £3500/£3600.

If you do have a 7ch and plan to go AV pre decide on that first before selling off all your amps you may want audiolab 2ch amps to finish off your system I'm using 2x audiolab 8000sx for heights. Unless you plan on getting a 4/6 channel for heights or different channel number depending on your final layout.

Unfortunately most AV pres are pretty expensive unless you go for the no frills brands and from my experience the auto eq on mine is pretty crap

I'm not aware of avr with full set of XLR. But mid range up and do have multie sub outs.

Zarf2007

i recommend Arcam A40 or Lexicon MC-10 (rebadged Arcam AV860), £1700 brand new on eBay, £3800 RRP, read the thread here (and ignore rccarguy2’s rantings):

get a good Arcam AV40 deal here(says refurb but they are brand new with 5 year warranty (as other buyers have attested to):

again ignore rccarguy2’s negative attitude about all things except budget processors

fatrich

You'll find most AV pre and poweramps with XLR aren't fully balanced. They're likely unbalanced over XLR connector. So won't have full advantage of xlr. My AV pre pretty sure isn't fully balanced but my Amps are. But you'll have the more secure and better shielded cable.

I have read two people upgraded from Denon 4500 to then same AV pre as me and reported superior sound, so a higher end AV pre with better room correction should get even better results, but £3000 is still "lower end" of AV pres , upto that price under that you have tonewinner at200/300, emotiva mc1, iota, marantz av7706, av8805, anthem avm70 with the later ones a bit above that budget. I think avm70 was about £3500/£3600.

If you do have a 7ch and plan to go AV pre decide on that first before selling off all your amps you may want audiolab 2ch amps to finish off your system I'm using 2x audiolab 8000sx for heights. Unless you plan on getting a 4/6 channel for heights or different channel number depending on your final layout.

Unfortunately most AV pres are pretty expensive unless you go for the no frills brands and from my experience the auto eq on mine is pretty crap

I'm not aware of avr with full set of XLR. But mid range up and do have multie sub outs.
Thank you as ever for your input

I was more leaning to a Marantz SR8015 as i can use the on board power to run the atmos and the x7 poweramp to run the rest and the 8015 had descent bench test results compared with the av7706

I can justify spending more the £3000 especially to my wife

The Anthem MRX740 tick all the boxes but are going for £3200

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
i recommend Arcam A40 or Lexicon MC-10 (rebadged Arcam AV860), read the thread here (and ignore rccarguy2’s rantings):

get a good Arcam AV40 deal here(says refurb but they are brand new with 5 year warranty as other buyers have attested to):

again ignore rcccarguy2’s negative attitude about all things except budget processors

Ignore previous poster.

I own a budget AV processor, so your rant makes you look very foolish.

Zarf2007

Ignore previous poster.

I own a budget AV processor, so your rant makes you look very foolish.
How? that’s what I am saying, you rubbish everything except that budget junk that you own. Read the thread I linked to for evidence of that not just from me but other forum members.

Last edited:

fatrich

i recommend Arcam A40 or Lexicon MC-10 (rebadged Arcam AV860), £1700 brand new on eBay, £3800 RRP, read the thread here (and ignore rccarguy2’s rantings):

get a good Arcam AV40 deal here(says refurb but they are brand new with 5 year warranty (as other buyers have attested to):

again ignore rccarguy2’s negative attitude about all things except budget processors
Thanks for the link

arn't Arcam's very buggy and since John Dyson sold out build quality not as it used to be i used to love Arcam av gear

fatrich

Thanks guys but can we keep it clean lol

Zarf2007

Thanks for the link

arn't Arcam's very buggy and since John Dyson sold out build quality not as it used to be i used to love Arcam av gear
95% of bugs removed and firmware is being developed constantly.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Thank you as ever for your input

I was more leaning to a Marantz SR8015 as i can use the on board power to run the atmos and the x7 poweramp to run the rest and the 8015 had descent bench test results compared with the av7706

I can justify spending more the £3000 especially to my wife

The Anthem MRX740 tick all the boxes but are going for £3200

Those anthem and marantz 8015 are good avr, that marantz fixes the previous Marantz avr poor performance

fatrich

Not the bench test results for the AV40 but like you said firmware updates may have fixed a few problems

Zarf2007

Not the bench test results for the AV40 but like you said firmware updates may have fixed a few problems

Take whatever ASR says with a pinch of salt, the guy couldn’t even setup a bluesound node using an app the other week, my 5 year old son could do that. Half the time he tests with incorrectly configured equipment. Only fools follow his work like gospel.

Arcam will beat any other brand bar storm, trinnov or Lyngdorf for music and movies.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
95% of bugs removed and firmware is being developed constantly.

You own budget trash Poweramp made by the same company.

Best not make a complete band utter fool of yourself, before thrashing a brand you also you own av40 clone which failed miserably on some tests, seems you own a trash product

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Take whatever ASR says with a pinch of salt, they guy couldn’t even setup a bluesound node using an app the other week, my 5 year old son could do that. Half the time he tests with incorrectly configured equipment. Only fools follow his work like gospel.

Arcam will beat any other brand bar trinnov or Lyngdorf for music and movies.
You seeing god awful jitter and noise results Of the av40
How much did you pay for the JBL?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220106-142423.png
    Screenshot_20220106-142423.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Zarf2007

You own budget trash Poweramp made by the same company.

Best not make a complete band utter fool of yourself, before thrashing a brand you also you own av40 clone which failed miserably on some tests, seems you own a trash product
At £2200 my power amp is hardly budget. Even AVF Rated the Emotiva power amps highly (Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 11-Channel Power Amplifier Review) Again you know nothing about the technology, JBL = better dac, Dante, dirac full license, logic16, aesthetically better. See AVF Review of the AVR equivalent of my processor for a proper evaluation (JBL Synthesis SDR-35 AV Receiver Review)

those grapes your eating mate are a bit sour now..

Last edited:

Zarf2007

You seeing god awful jitter and noise results Of the av40
How much did you pay for the JBL?
Again tested by a loser with zero relation to real life performance. Enjoy your setup.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Again tested by a loser with zero relation to real life performance. Enjoy your crap setup.

Your emotiva is made by the same company as my tonewinner. You just admitted how crap your amps are.

Shame you have crappy poweramps and not my higher quality ATI eh.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
At £2200 my power amp is hardly budget. Even AVF Rated the Emotiva power amps highly (Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 11-Channel Power Amplifier Review) Again you no nothing about the technology, JBL = better dac, Dante, dirac license, logic16, aesthetically better. See AVF Review of the AVR equivalent of my processor for a proper evaluation (JBL Synthesis SDR-35 AV Receiver Review)

those grapes your eating mate are a bit sour now..

I'm not fussed about room eq I just wanted a modern AV pre not willing to spend that sort of money, and yours is £4500 more expensive than mine.

Zarf2007

Your emotiva is made by the same company as my tonewinner. You just admitted how crap your amps are.

Shame you have crappy poweramps and not my higher quality ATI eh.
I think there is a lot of difference between amplifying a signal and processing a signal, one needs significantly less technology and cost than the other. I think the old adage of “you can’t reason with idiots” applies here, so for that reason I will bow out of this thread.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I think there is a lot of difference between amplifying a signal and processing a signal, one needs significantly less technology than the other.

Back tracking I see. Do the OEM mass produced junk emotiva amps still have low quality underspeced non branded capacitors that explode?

Unlike my high end high quality ati amps.

I offered advice to op and you trash talked me.

If you're going to be a fool at least try not to have the same brand of made in China trash brand, eh.

Haha

gibbsy

@rccarguy2 @Zarf2007 You two can stop acting as if you're in the school playground or you'll find yourselves being thread banned. The OP has asked for help not a soap opera.

fatrich

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Just seen this

"I recently made the leap into separates and wow!! At-300 + the 7x300 amp from time winner is excellent.. Aamir is an excellent guy to know and is a online call away for any questions or issues.

So I ran denon receivers for years and watched many reviews on separates on you tube and decided to go with tonewinner as it did not break the bank, and is affordable. The detail I got is just amazing, the surrounds are crisp and clear with detail for days. The subs are tighter and have a little more punch than before.."

Fair comparison, Denon AVR versus a no frills budget AV pre...so if you do decide to get ~£3000 AV pre that has better room correcion...

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones