AVR & Integrated Amp Setup Question(s)

Yea i did look at that and is definitely an option although it would be a bonus to have CD player capabilities tbh! Any thoughts on how the 6000a play streaming functionality compares with the bluesound?

Yea i did look at that and is definitely an option although it would be a bonus to have CD player capabilities tbh! Any thoughts on how the 6000a play streaming functionality compares with the bluesound?
I've not had direct experience of it, but when I bought the bluesound that was the main reason for choosing it over the audiolab equivalent streamer. I read several reviews that it was clunky and not as well put together. That was over a year ago so it may have improved since.

I've not had direct experience of it, but when I bought the bluesound that was the main reason for choosing it over the audiolab equivalent streamer. I read several reviews that it was clunky and not as well put together. That was over a year ago so it may have improved since.
Would you recommend the bluesound? Do you know if it works well with qobuz?

PC as a source is pretty darn clunky. Just use a dedicated audio media streamer. I use older system, Synology NAS with LMS and Squeezeboxes. Works well. It's a bit obselete now, but it's cheap like £50 a player, so multi room can be done cheaply.

Would you recommend the bluesound? Do you know if it works well with qobuz?
Ive not used qobuz but the tidal interface is really good. I would recommend. I've got a few devices for multiroom functionality.

I also use a Logitech squeezebox with a which is a lower cost option with squeezer (the app interface) in another setup. It's getting on a bit but works okay.

In the case of the PC the flow would be;
  • PC (graphics card HD audio) to TV via HDMI
  • TV to integrated amp via optical (for music) and TV to AVR via HDMI (for movies/games)

In the case of the external HDD the flow would be;
  • HDD to TV via USB
  • TV to integrated amp via optical cable

For everything else (blu ray drive, PS4...etc) it would be;
  • Source to AVR via HDMI
  • AVR to integrated amp via pre-outs/RCA for audio
  • AVR to TV via HDMI for picture

Wouldn't it go PC -> HDMI -> AVR -> HDMI -> TV?

Nope not in my case as i game 4k 120hz and try mitigate latency so have graphics card straight to tv then pass audio to avr from tv via earc

If it’s any help, I have my system set up so that the 2 channel stereo (for music) can be separated from the multichannel receiver (for A/V). Analogue audio sources are connected to the 2 channel pre-amp (Naim) and digital & video sources are connected to the A/V receiver. The A/V receiver (Denon AVC X3700H) has “pre-out” to connect to the AV (DIN) input on the analogue amp (which in turn is connected to a Naim power amp), so that for listening to analogue stereo music the signal path does not include the A/V receiver - not even as “pass-through”. When using the A/V amp for home cinema purposes then the Naim pre/power combo provide the amplification for the left and right front channels with the digital receiver doing all the processing required for A/V purposes (7.2.1 configuration I think - centre, front L & R, rear L & R, rear surround L&R, L & R in-ceiling Atmos speakers & a single subwoofer). This suits me well & I feel gives me the best of both worlds.

I use the A/V receiver for streaming music although at the moment I’m only currently subscribed to Apple as a music streaming service and although this is now lossless it still doesn’t provide access to the very highest resolution music streams such as DSD files. I can’t find a way to use the A/V receiver as a separate streamer/renderer to feed a higher quality DAC to playback through the stereo amp so I might invest in a separate streamer & DAC or possibly an iMac with separate DAC.

Interestingly my CD player (Arcam delta 70.3) has 3 outputs - 2 pairs of analogue, one of which has a volume control, and a digital out. With 1 analogue output connected to the stereo amp and the other 2 connected to the A/V amp, I can listen to CDs either through the purely analogue system, through the A/V receiver (with “pure direct” mode on or off, or use the CD player as a transport only and convert the digital output to analogue using the DAC in the A/V receiver. There is a definite and audible difference between the 3 options but I have not yet experimented sufficiently to determine what those differences actually are.

I’m currently using the mm facility in the A/V receiver for my record deck to listen to into put hope to have my phono box back in service once the replacement power supply arrives. Surprisingly the record deck has 2 pairs of analogue outputs so I can hopefully set things up so that I can listen to a purely un-molested analogue sound or use the additional functionality provided by the digital receiver - if only for experimental purposes as well as for interest.

if I get a separate streamer & DAC then I can do much the same as for CDs & vinyl but I’m sure that ultimately I’ll settle for what is my preferred option in general but with the ability to use the A/V receiver for things like Atmos music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom