AVR HDMI 2.1 Implementation in 2022?

King Dazzar

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm after a new AVR which can facilitate multiple HDMI 2.1, 4k 120Hz devices. However, just by looking through ALL of the AVR's on Richer Sounds, they all only appear to come with one HDMI 2.1 input!? Even high 4 figure £ flagships!! I know there were initial bugs with HDMI 2.1 AVR's too, which I'm assuming have been fixed now? But why is the current implementation still so poor and are there any new AVR's due which will have all HDMI inputs 2.1 rather than just one? I'm aware the US has an Onkyo which has them all 2.1, but I'm in the UK...

Thanks. 😊

Look at the Arcam avr11, 21, 31 range as all ports are hdmi 2.1 as standard or buy the 10, 20 and 30 models from a dealer and ask them to install the hdmi 2.1 board for £600 extra.

Upvote 0
Look at the Arcam avr11, 21, 31 range as all ports are hdmi 2.1 as standard or buy the 10, 20 and 30 models from a dealer and ask them to install the hdmi 2.1 board for £600 extra.
Thanks. 😎 But £2800 and upwards and still to be released... (but looking like late April so not too far away).

Any others anybody? Preferably sub £2k

Upvote 0
Denon AVRs x2700 upwards from 2020 were 1 hdmi 2.1 40Gbs input.

2021 saw the lower end s660, s760 and x1700h (I have this one) added which are equipped with 4 hdmi 2.1 40Gbs inputs. RS don't sell the x1700h as I believe it's still exclusive in the UK to Peter Tyson?

Not sure when we will see x2800, x3800 etc which would bring multiple hdmi 2.1 inputs to the higher models

Upvote 0
All 7 HDMI inputs onboard the higher tier Yamaha RXA4a, RXA6a and the RXA8a are HDMI version 2.1 40Gbps compliant, as are their 3 outputs (2 mirrored and 1 seconf HDMI zone output). The issue with these models is that they are still currently awaiting a firmware revision to allow them to passthrough 4K 120Hz or 8K 60Hz. Yamaha have tentatively indicated that this update will not be made publically available until at least this coming Spring so you'd still have to wait a few months to attain the associated capabilities.

by default 2022-03-14 at 04.18.43.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It should also be noted that Denon/Marantz sell an additional HDMI switch for their first gen models that only have one HDMI version 2.1 4K 120Hz input. THis allows you to connect up to 3 devoces to the one HDMI 4K 120Hz 8K 60Hz compliant input on those receivers:

by default 2022-03-14 at 04.27.12.png

It isn't compatible with the Denon X2700, Marantx SR5015 or lower models though and can only be utilised with the AVRX3700, the SR6015 or higher models.

Also note the price. It is just under £180!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All 7 HDMI inputs onboard the higher tier Yamaha RXA4a, RXA6a and the RXA8a are HDMI version 2.1 40Gbps compliant, as are their 3 outputs (2 mirrored and 1 seconf HDMI zone output). The issue with these models is that they are still currently awaiting a firmware revision to allow them to passthrough 4K 120Hz or 8K 60Hz. Yamaha have tentatively indicated that this update will not be made publically available until at least this coming Spring so you'd still have to wait a few months to attain the associated capabilities.

View attachment 1667406

Thanks Dante. For some reason I skipped past the Yamaha's, even though I own a Yamaha AVR from 2018. And I think its because of the issues you've expanded on. We'll need to see if they update as promised. Because potentially that might be an OK solution. Though the UI on my 2018 model looks like something from Windows 97. Why cant we get snazzy looking native 4k ui's these days? Or can we?

Upvote 0
I'd not ideally suggest one of the lower tier models from Yamaha despite them having at least three supposed HDMI version 2.1 4K 120Hz inputs. Yes, they will passthrough 4K 120Hz, but are compromised in some respects by the bandwidth cap Yamaha have had to implement due to the HDMI chipsets used. The chipsets are capped at just 24Gbps!

If wanting at least 40Gbps then look at just the models above the RX-A2a and not the models below the RX-A4a.

The lower tier models have received their update, but as said, are compromised due to the bandwidth cap due to the limitations of their HDMI chipset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very useful to know Dante. Funnily enough it was the RX-A4a I was just looking at. Would be a big ask, but if anyone remembers this thread when Yamaha release the enabling firmware, please do let us know 😊

Upvote 0
Very useful to know Dante. Funnily enough it was the RX-A4a I was just looking at. Would be a big ask, but if anyone remembers this thread when Yamaha release the enabling firmware, please do let us know 😊

There's an owners thread for the new top rier Aventage models here:

I'm pretty sure you'll get to hear about such an update if you add that thread to your watched topics :)

Upvote 0
Thanks. 😎 But £2800 and upwards and still to be released... (but looking like late April so not too far away).

just buy the previous model (AVR10) at £1900 and you have the option to upgrade to hdmi 2.1 when you like.....

The only difference between the AVR10 and AVR11 is the AVR11 already has the hdmi 2.1 board fitted.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
This is information you are looking for - new models, upgrades, known issues, links, prices, and more

Upvote 0
If your TV is eRC enabled, has multiple HDMI Inputs which support VRR, 120Hz, HDR etc and you partner it with an AVR or Soundbar with eARC there is less need for the AVR to have multiple HDMI Inputs which support features made possible with the release of HDMI 2.1.

The Hub of the system shifts away from the AVR and back to the TV and relies on the TV being connected to an eARC enabled AVR or Soundbar.

Joe

Upvote 0
If your TV is eRC enabled, has multiple HDMI Inputs which support VRR, 120Hz, HDR etc and you partner it with an AVR or Soundbar with eARC there is less need for the AVR to have multiple HDMI Inputs which support features made possible with the release of HDMI 2.1.

The Hub of the system shifts away from the AVR and back to the TV and relies on the TV being connected to an eARC enabled AVR or Soundbar.

Joe
Yeah thanks. But I already know that, hence the need for my original question. As its currently maxed. 😊

Upvote 0
Stick a Switch on one of the TV Inputs!

Joe
Late reply. But when I first read this I dismissed it. But yesterday after much debating on a new AVR, which in itself presented other problems. I bought a 48Gbps switch, with an IR extender and it works perfectly so far. The problem is they all have mixed reviews.

Early days, but its dealing with both the XSX and PS5 without issue, at 4k 120hz HDR, VRR and 7.1 audio pass through. And my 2021 Sony TV is having no issues with the switch and feeding all audio over eARC fine. Quick to switch between inputs (maybe even quicker than my Yamaha AVR). And works perfectly with Logitech Harmony due to its IR based extender. And because of the IR extender cable, the switch can be hidden. 4 in 1 out.

So thanks Joe. 😎

Its an ezco switch I got if anyone's interested. I got it for £61, but after I placed my order, it immediately went up to £79.99. 🤷‍♂️

A lot cheaper than a new £1000 - £2000 AVR.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom