AVR Downgrade Advice

tony cosgrove

Hi, I'm looking for some pointers/advice.

I've a Denon AVR-X4500H which I bought from the classifieds a couple of months ago.

I love the Denon, especially for music which is a total surprise to me but there you go, however I think it's overkill for my set up and was just wondering if I'd be better off buying something else?

I've experimented with different speakers and set ups and have settled on a 3.1 set up which suits the room and our listening habits.

I currently have a 5.1 set up but I don't really hear much content from the surround speakers so they've been sold now.

Anyway our listening habits are streaming my music library from a HDD connected to the Denon via a Topping Dac, watching streamed stuff from an ATV 4K (21) and from the TV via Denon monitor port and into HDMI 3 in my Phillips 65OLED706 I also have a turntable connected to the Denon and an FM Ariel for FM broadcasts ie radio 2, 3 & 4 and also internet radio via the HEOS thing in the Denon.

Ideally I'd like a good Stereo and or AVR Receiver with an HDMI for the TV and good room correction set up for the speakers and my sub which is an SVS Micro 3000 I don't really want to go down the stereo integrated road though.

The front three speakers are L&R Totem kin minis and the centre is a Totem mini Flex speaker.

Thanks

Tony

StefanBFC

Arcam FMJ390 or 550.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Can't see the point.

Not like you bought Denon 8500 or 110

DavidT

As above, why change something you are happy with just because it is more capable than you need. Changing could financially cost you the same or more for no gain.

tony cosgrove

Hi guys, thanks, yes you are probably correct.

The Denon is excellent it really is the only complaint is the colour which is black but that's not really a valid complaint although I'd prefer silver but I'm not changing it for that.

I'll do a bit of research on the Arcam receivers mentioned above but I'll probably end up keeping the Denon, think there was an Arcam 390 in the classifieds recently.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I'd say get bigger speakers, 4" woofers are a bit too tiny.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Actually I'm constantly amazed at how great sounding these speakers are, it's really astonishing to be honest.

If you close your eyes you would never know they were tiny bookshelves.

I'm sure they're great sounding speakers, it's more driver size. I own a few speakers drivers between 3" and 6.25" for midrange, and 4" doesn't quite cut it.

Good size for small discrete surround/rear/height bookshelf, but for mains I'd go bigger.

tony cosgrove

I'm sure they're great sounding speakers, it's more driver size. I own a few speakers drivers between 3" and 6.25" for midrange, and 4" doesn't quite cut it.

Good size for small discrete surround/rear/height bookshelf, but for mains I'd go bigger.

I'd love to hear them with a top quality stereo amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom