AVR dB Set Low

Rusty2228

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently hooked up an Marantz 1609 (50 watt rating at 8 ohms) to some Oberon 1s(6 ohms) I just got. All of the sudden with no explanation I could get enough sound out if it unless it was at 70 db for stereo listening. I couldn't even make out clear music at 40db more than a yard away.

I usally listen to them with the old Zensor 3s at around 55 dB. Somtimes I will put it high as 65 for a song or two. I was trying to get the AVR to work with my TV via ARC. It really doesn't the treble is way too low and bass way too high. I wasn't able to solve it.

But I was trying to figure out what happend to the stereo sound, I was playing around with the settings. The manual just gives you specs and not really info on how to setup the AVR. I found a setting under "sound" where you could set the dB to -12 to +12. Somehow it got set to minus -12 for both speakers. I set it back to zero, and it's fine.

I didn't know an AVR could do it. I was really frustrated. I thought I spent all this money on a useless setup. And I thought I needed a 100 watt amp.

I don't really have a question just wanted to vent my frustrating experience. But I do wonder if a 40 watt amp would be enough? What is a 100 watt amp for if 50 watts works for most home stereos? The oberons are rated from 25watt to 100 watt amp. So if I connected a 25 watt amp does that mean I need to stand 3 feet away to enjoy the sound at max volume? What they max out and blow up at 50 db?

Also, the manual is awful, it just list specs. It doesn't walk you throught the process, and the spotify app is really buggy. The controls from the phone, can be delayed by several minutes. One time I thought I was turning the volume up in another app on my phone with spotify on the AVR in the background. Nothing happened, and then after 2 minutes, my speakers blasted distoration at 100 db for 5 seconds, and the AVR just crashed. Then I figured out to set the max volume. But the spotify feature is way over rated, and the manual for the Marantz doesn't walk you through set up. It just like a list of specs, and there's a mention that there's a max volume settting with no futher explanation on like line 3607 of technical specs. I have ADD and can't read hundres of lines of this vapid dry crap. Even if I did, it doesn't explain that you really want to set this so you don't blow up your speakers, because their spotify app sucks.

Limit​

Make a setting for maximum volume.
60 (–20 dB) / 70 (–10 dB) / 80 (0 dB)
Off(Default)

The dB value is displayed when the “Scale” setting is “-79.5 dB - 18.0 dB”.link

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom