AVR Buying Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Vivek B, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Vivek B

Vivek B
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys

I am not very experienced when it comes to building a home sound system. I have been doing my research from over a month the more I get in to this the more I am getting confused. I need your sincere help to suggest me a good home audio system.

My feeling is that the stereo amplifiers produce better sound than AV receivers. I may not be right at it but its my current impression. The confusing part is if a stereo amp and AVR amp outputs the same numbers than whats is difference in sound quality. In that case I think AVR would be a better option still not sure.

I am open to buy a stereo amp but I can not live without Bluetooth/Wifi and preferably AM/FM tuner in a stereo amp. So far I have shortlisted Denon PMA- 1600 NE with Klipsch RP 260F speakers.

But this system lacks BT/Wifi/AM-FM.

Can you please suggest me any other stereo amp with all these features or any AVR with equally good sound (I plan to use AVR in 2 channel mode only as of now not connecting to TV).

I can spend around $2K on the amp.

Thanks in advance.

2. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Arcam SR250. You may be able to find a discounted new one for £2K, and you can get second hand from around £1500 on eBay.

3. DT79

DT79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Edit - just saw you were talking about $, not £. I assume USD, in which case you may be looking at second hand for the SR250.

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,952
    If you are only going to have a 2 channel set-up, and music is a priority, then usual advice is to go for a stereo integrated amplifier, as they will be more 'musical' than an AVR.

The reasoning behind this (only my opinion / experience, I have no data to prove this point) is that an AVR has a chassis that is crammed full of electronics for the audio and video features, and the network and wireless connections, as well as multiple amplifier channels. All of this means, a noisy chassis, shared power supplies, and compromised sound quality.

Some of the very good quality 'musical' integrated amps are stripped of features for the very reason that less features equals better sound quality, as the construction can be very clean, with good quality power supplies and other gubbins than makes for a great sounding amplifier.

So, you could even consider two boxes. One for your great sounding integrated amplifier, with a pre-amp, power amp and input switching. Then a separate DAC / streamer device for all of the features that you need.

The only caveat to this would be if you think room correction would help in your set-up and you would like to include Dirac in the mix, in which case you could consider an Arcam 250 / 390 or a Nad T758V3, which sound better than most other AVR's at music reproduction, and include an affordable way of adding Dirac to the mix.

5. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    It may be a lot less than your budget but the Yamaha R-N803 may well be worth adding to your list. It has all the network features you could ever need, including Bluetooth and a radio matched with a good amplifier. The icing on the cake is the room correction facility which is included all for about $750.