Question AVR automatically only switches oneway not backwards

anterados

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, please help about HDMI ARC. The TV box is connected with an HDMI cable to the input SAT / CBL on AV receiver (Pioneer VSX 422-K, then from the HDMI OUT on the AV receiver with the HDMI cable to the HDMI ARC input on the LG9 65 ”OLED TV. The settings on the TV are that the audio output HDMI ARC When I watch TV with the TV box receiver I have sound on external speakers, when I turn on the Netflix TV application the AV receiver immediately switches input from SAT / CBL to TV and I also have sound on external speakers . The problem arises when I want to watch TV again and select to the TV HDMI input where the AV receiver is connected, it does not switch the input back to SAT / CBL Why does the AVR automatically switch the input from SAT / CBL to TV when I select Netflix and not automatically switch the input from TV to SAT / CBL when I want to watch TV again program? Sorry for the inconvenience and please help.Thanks, Ante

HDMI-ARC is not smart and will default to TV input on any audio source coming from the TV.

The only way for the TV to send the command to switch inputs on the Pioneer is if you can get the Pioneer and any HDMI device plugged into it to appear on the LG input manager (input button on remote).

Your best option is to run the LG universal remote on on the HDMI input the Pionner is using to see if that can improve its control over the Pioneer and its inputs.

When you press the input button on the LG remote if it can list the Pioneer and the STB connected to the Pioneer (STB must support HDMI-CEC to make it visible) then the LG will send the command to cycle the input to SAT/CBL.

If your TV STB does not support HDMI-CEC your out of luck, the LG input manager wont see it.

Thanks for reply. It seems that STB is not CEC. I only see Pioneer on LG input list.

Another problem is that when I turn off TV and receiver, ARC does not work anymore when I turn it on again. Receiver only gets sound fro STB but not from TV. When I pull out cord both (TV and AVR) and connect HDMI-s again and turn it on, it works.

HDMI-CEC/ARC can be buggy as each device maker does it slightly differently.

The STB if its just cable/sat TV could be plugged directly into the TV, it likely only outputs PCM 2.0 (stereo) and Dolby 5.1, though if your having audio sync issues I can understand if you need it plugged into the Pioneer.

There is a possible way to bypass the Pioneer CEC system by using the sharc which is an earc bridge for older sound systems, the sharc talks to the LG CEC then passes the audio to the Pioneer via one of its HDMI inputs, the output of the Pioneer is not connected to the TV.

The C9 can pass PCM 7.1, Dolby/DTS 7.1 over its eARC port.

A cheap option to solve the CEC power on problem is get a universal remote which can send the IR commands instead of CEC command to power on. This is what I use for this very purpose as the LG magic remote universal IR does not work with my Sony sound system and it fails to power on via CEC every now and then.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks a lot for help. I didnt see any audio sync problems so I might try to direct connection STB to TV. How will I connect It?
1. STB to TV HDMI (any) input? TV HDMI ARC to Pioneer any input
or different way?

STB to hdmi port 1,3,4 on TV.

eARC/ARC is only on port 2 so Pioneer must be connected to that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom