Question AVR as EXTERNAL AMP, REL 3D Audio, and me...or WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK!?

Rickover

Novice Member
Will adding a subwoofer to your surrounds make the sound more "3 dimensional"? Here's my situation...

I am having success in using an older Yamaha receiver (A3000) as an external amplifier for my Denon 4400H in a 7.2.4 system. The Yamaha has a Multi-in which I have connected to the Denon's surround and surround rear pre-outs via RCA cables. An Outlaw Amp handles the front stage while the Denon powers the Atmos speakers.

I came across this article on REL's website: Adding 3D to Theatre Pt. 1 - REL Acoustics

They suggest using an additional subwoofer that is dedicated to the signal sent to your surround speakers. You can do this by using the high level connection (speaker wire). Audyssey sets the crossovers for my surrounds at 150hz and my rears at 200hz, so they could use some help. This got me thinking, why not use the crossover control in my Yamaha A3000 to send the low freq from my surrounds to a sub?

So I gave it a shot. LFE connection from the Yamaha to a third sub that I happen to have (JBL e150p). I made sure to turn on the sub in the Yamaha's speaker settings. Crossovers for the 4 surrounds were set at 120hz. On the Denon, I set the crossovers for the surrounds as low as a could go, 40hz. Back on the Yamaha, a test tone plays on the subwoofer just fine.

Alright. I played some bass heavy music upmixed with Dolby Surround and nothing comes from the sub. A battle in the show, See, which is mixed in Atmos, and still nothing. The speakers themselves are playing, but nothing from the sub. This should work though, right?

I haven't tried using a speaker wire connection to the sub yet. Since I have 2 pairs of surrounds would I be able to sorta bi-wire them into the 1 sub? Could I damage my equipment if I attempt this?

D

Deleted member 39241

On the Denon set the surround speakers to large. This will mean that the full frequency range for those speakers will be sent to the Yamaha. In the Yamaha set the speakers to small and apply the appropriate crossover.

Rickover

Novice Member
On the Denon set the surround speakers to large. This will mean that the full frequency range for those speakers will be sent to the Yamaha. In the Yamaha set the speakers to small and apply the appropriate crossover.
Thanks for your reply. I already tried setting the surrounds crossovers as low as they can go which was 40hz. Cant seem to make them large. And then on the Yamaha I changed them to a high crossover, but still nothing from the sub.

D

Deleted member 39241

Thanks for your reply. I already tried setting the surrounds crossovers as low as they can go which was 40hz. Cant seem to make them large. And then on the Yamaha I changed them to a high crossover, but still nothing from the sub.
40hz will still redirect the bass to the subs connected to the Denon. The 40hz is a slope rather than a set point. You really need to find the setting to change the speakers from small to large, it should be in the speaker config menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom