1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avr 7000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark Markosky, May 19, 2002.

1. Mark Markosky

Mark Markosky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i NEED SOME FEEDBACK ON THE AVR 7000 BY HK.
    I'M ON MY 4TH REPLACEMENT FROM HK.
    THE FIRST 3 SMOKED. ALL 3 RAN REALLY HOT.
    HK SAYS IT KNOWS OF NO PROBLEM WITH THE 7000 BUT KEEPS SENDING ME REPLACEMENTS.
    ANYBODY ELSE HAVING ANY SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH THIS BIG HOT BOAT ANCHOR.
    I'M ABOUT READY TO WRITE IT OFF AS A LOSS.

COZ

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought i'd reply because no one else had.

I'm an HK fan but have never heard if this type of problem, especially on the new range but you could try www.audioreview.com to reach a wider audience.

Does it have enough ventillation, mt AVR500 sits in a glass shelved AV rack but it's quite close to the bottom of the top shelf which does heat up quite a lot.

Is it getting excessively hot or is the sound quility suffering?

Not much help i know but ...

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AVR500 gets hot but that is nothing new for receivers. Ventilation is very important. I am on my second one as the first one had a dodgy processor causing sound drop outs.

4. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Harman/Kardon has been known for lots of failing products lately. I would just give it up and buy another brand (Denon, Marantz), but that's my opinion.

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah the av45/65 series were quite poor. I believe that H/K have cleared up their act quite a bit since then, though. Certainly the 5500 is very impressive indeed. Perhaps if you check the date of manufacture on the back of the amp you may find that it was made some time ago, and isn't necessarily new (like I found out with one of my amps when it broke - it was over a year old from the date of purchase, hanging around in a warehouse somewhere). However, if you are on to your 4th amp, which is unusual even for a reportedly poor product, you should re-check all of your wiring and interconnects. I had an interconnect where the cable inside (I think it is the Earth cable of the interconnect, the wire that links the round outer "chassis") had become unstuck. It caused untold distress to my sub which I had to get replaced under my insurance.

Now to get something off my chest.
    Bear in mid that sites such as AudioReview should be looked at with skepticism. Firstly, if you find a product to be good or average then you aren't likely to write a review. If you find something to be really bad, then you most probably will. Granted if you find a product to be exceptional, then you will also write a review, but without the average ones, a complete picture cannot be drawn. Also, if you have spent a great deal of money on something some people are inclined to justify their purchase with a glowing review, even though it probably doesn't deserve it.

Hope this helps – Russell

6. Mark Markosky

Mark Markosky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the replys. The 7000 gets hot enough to melt wax.

It sits on a shelf in a rack thats open in the front and back.

this avr 7000 replaced my AVR 80, using the same speakers and wiring that the 80 used for 3 years with no problems.

i have read lately a lot of bad reviews on the 7000 with problems with popping. My problem is outputs burning up, thus shutting the unit down( the over current protection circuit) I have had the same problem 3 times, which does make you think that there is an installation problem. But why does the avr 80 work just fine in the same set up???

My wiring and speakers are OK and HK is quick to replace the unit which makes me wander if they are hiding something.

7. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't necessarily think HK are hiding something, I think it;s more that one of their older ranges was quite unreliable (mentioned earlier) and this damaged their reputation so I think now since they have effectively re emerged in the UK market they are trying very hard.

I have an older AVR500 which buzzed in DTS, they picked it up from my house fixed it in about 10 days which was how long they said it would take and delivered it back at no cost whatsoever, it works fine now. It was 18 months old but they didn't ask for any reciept or anything.