• Harman/Kardon AVR5550

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yamaha rxv-1400

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters

Dfour

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy the 2011 and the 5550 at clearance price (both about £600) or try to buy a 1400 from germany .:cool:

I am not bothered about getting THX, its a nice badge but my speakers arent THX certified. DPL2x would be nice but logic7 is probably just as good. I am interested in an amp that is good (for an av amp) in stereo and can really shine in movies.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated :clap:

BuMp

The HK is obviously the better buy for straight Stereo performance.

I always have and still do hate Yamaha kit (but am yet to hear the AZ9 - I may yet be converted).

The highly regulated power supply of the VSX-D2011 is sure to hinder its potential for straight stereo finesse, aswell as speaker tollerance.

They're all excellent receivers and you'd probably be over the moon with either. Were it my money I'd be choosing between the Pioneer & HK.

Originally posted by bobbypunk
How would you be for warranty issues if importing the yamaha?

I've no direct experience of this, but I think this is the risk you have to take if importing it - the expense of shipping costs should something go wrong (or the expense of repair here).

Personally I don't like buying things from anywhere except Sevenoaks, regardless of the extra cost.

Yamaha are happy to accept the 2 years warranty even if it was imported into another european county from another

BuMpEty BuMp

I have just looked at my thread and I have found only 10% have an opinion in the poll. Thanks to the people who bothered to vioce there thoughts and vote or post :smashin:

I bought an HK 5500n a year ago an cant say I am disappointed. Very good with music , although I wouldnt mind betting its showing my dvd a players shortcomings - think I'll buy a decent cd player . Any suggestions anyone?

how much you wanna spend DonMaico??

Where from geewcee?? how much??

You make it sound like they are gold dust or something.
I dont mind paying the going rate and wanted it there an then. I got it for £700 from Sevenoaks in Leeds.

Thankyou. :D

Ive decided to buy a rxv1400 from Germany. I have always liked Yamaha kit. I will happily wait 1 week to save £200. The extra can go towards gettin a decent sub :D

I was so tempted I went through the check out procedure - only to then realise that you can't pay by credit card (this is with Hi-Fi components.de). If intend purchasing from them would you be kind enough to let me know how you get on? If you're buying elsewhere, especially if they accept payment by CC - would you let me know, also?

Thanks,

Sigs

i was going to buy from hificomponants but they have a wait time of 30 days. I am ordering from another german company, they also only accept bank transfers (same as hifcomp) luckly i have enough saved :D
I have been told they have the black one in stock and it will take a week to get to England with 35 euro postage :smashin:
http://www.audiovision-shop.de/Preise/preise.html

I will post my thought about there service and other things when it arrives :D

I dont think I will bother comparing it against my poor old Pioneer 810s when the Yammy arrives. Now i have to find a buyer for it ;)

I think Harman Kardon are going to take the lead in AV receivers, they are growing in popularity very quickly. About 3-4 years ago when I bought my HK noone on this site had one and I used to have discussions on this site as to why they were ignored - now they seem to have caught up with Yamaha going by the poll, possibly because they are one of the few AV receivers that can play a tune, and because of the quality of their amps.

I do like the new H/K amps, much better looking than the old ones. I hope they do get a good toe hold in the av market.

I just paid for the amp using worldpay from my bank and it only cost £9 to do it. £505 all in for my rxv1400 :smashin:

Can't wait :D

That is a VERY good price mate.

I should have looked to Germany too for a good bargain buy. Still, I'm very happy with the SR7400, wonder what they go for in Germany?

They have posted my RXV-1400 today :smashin: I cant wait ;) and I have even swapped my pioneer 810s for a brand new Goldring GR1 turntable:)

Now all I need is some new speakers and a new subwoofer!!!!!:D

Now this is service :smashin: I got an email saying that it had been posted this wednesday and on thursday I missed the courier trying to deliver it:( It is hard to get service like this from English companies let alone something as big from Germany!!!

Anyway I have it now :D and it is a superb amp and I would recommend http://www.audiovision-shop.de/Preise/preise.html
To anyone looking to buy an amp!!

Now the quesion is Mission or Kef speakers lol

Dfour - been following your thread. i would suggest you have a look at the new Monitor Audio Radius package. Goes brilliantly with a Yamaha RXV2400RDS!

cheers I will :D

I have an old arcam alpha amp arriving soon so i will be able to tell how tuneful it really is in direct stereo. Sounds pretty good using DPL2x though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom