Avr-4306 Setup Help Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RSRAVI, Aug 2, 2006.

1. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi I have just bougth a Denon 4306...

Its the first time i have had denon ...

any setup help would be great ...

I have done a quick auto setup with the mic .....

seems ok but ,is this another amp you have to crank up to get any voulme out off it ..... to get decent DVD volume at the moment it is set at -15 on the vol ....

I prob do a manual setup soon once my bose speaker brackets come thro this firday .......

Also to set up network on it is it just a matter off connecting to the router ..any info would be great thanks....

Also is there a option to change to 4 -8 ohms thanks

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,935
    Hi Ravi, long time no see!

For me -15db is a comfortable level on my Denon. -5db if I want to upset SWMBO, and 0db for a divorce!

Dunno about the router bit!

I think the Denon auto accomodates itself for the speaker impedance.

3. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89

Hi mate ,how you doing ,still got the 3805 ????

I have just got back into av ,i have never had denon so i thought i give it a try ....

Still setting it up at the moment so far sounding great ...needs tweeking ..but once i work my way round the menu shoud be fine .....

Can't seem to get on screen display to work !!!!!!!!!!

I have got the Internet radio working ...very easy just plug network cable to router ,click internet radio and search button it finds the radio staions :smashin: :smashin:

very very nice touch by denon ....

will try Ip address soon see if can acess the denon amp from my computer ...?????

Will let you know how i get on ta

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,935
    Yup, it's just run in now! ;)

Can't remember all the nuances, but you'll be best looking at your OSD via S-Video. OSD via component only happens on interlaced not progressive. Not sure about HDMI, but I would not be too surprised if that is somewhat restricted with respect to OSD. Just run a separate S-Video lead from the monitor out on the amp.

Sounds neat. I listen to Internet radio occasionally, but I like Live365.com where you can tune in to your genre, as it were!

5. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi mate ,

Thanks got the on screen display working today not bad running thro video output seem ok ..............

wating for speaker brackets to come then i fine tune the setup hopefully they come 2morrow ...............

I found the bass and trebile bit the subs sounds but with it off

A option called Tone defeat ............ have you tried it mate ..........

will let you know how is sounds once i have played more ....

But i am shocked at the bose speakers they are so small but such a full sound

ACOUSTIMASS® 15 home cinema speaker system

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-entertainment/home-cinema/speaker-systems/index.jsp

have alook mate .....:smashin:

6. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Quick note ,

i have now just got some decent bass from the AV amp and bose sub

had to set the Subout put to LFE+Main not on just LFE made a huge difference to the setup

As bose require full range and sound going in it sorts it self out ...

So all my speakers are set to LARGE ....

Sub at the moment set at 80Hz

Tv is now realy Loud at -30 DB getting better ............:) :) :)

7. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the Bose speakers have a frequency cut-off around 280Hz you need to be very careful if you set the speakers to large and use the auto configure option. One consequence will be that the amplifier will try to compensate for the lack of bass coming from the speakers with consequent effect of sending a huge boost of power in the lower range. This will likely seriously damage the drivers. Large has the effect (as far as the amp is concerned) of putting the full range of frequency spectrum to any speaker so set.

You might also look at this web site http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html which gives you some information about Bose speakers. It's not exactly pretty!

8. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi but the persol i emailed and in the manual it says set to LARGE as the bass unit sorts out all the frequencys to each sat speaker...

So is that incorrect a little confused ................

9. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here follows an extract from my 3805 manual, I would expect the 4306 to be similar:

NOTE:
    • Select “Large” or “Small” not according to the actual size of the speaker but according to the speaker's capacity for playing low frequency
    (bass sound below the frequency set for the Crossover Frequency) signals. If you do not know, try comparing the sound at both settings
    (setting the volume to a level low enough so as not to damage the speakers) to determine the proper setting.
    Large...................Select this when using speakers that have sufficient performance for reproducing bass sound below the frequency set for the
    Crossover Frequency mode.
    Small...................Select this when using speakers that do not have sufficient performance for reproducing bass sound below the frequency set
    for the Crossover Frequency mode. When this is set, bass sound with a frequency below the frequency set for the Crossover
    Frequency mode is sent to the subwoofer.
    None……............Select this when no speakers are installed.
    Yes/No….............Select “Yes” when a subwoofer is installed, “No” when a subwoofer is not installed.
    2spkrs/1spkr .......Set the number of speakers to be used for the surround back channel.
    If the subwoofer has sufficient low frequency playback capacity, good sound can be achieved even when “Small” is set for the front, center
    and surround speakers.

The point is that the Bose speakers roll off from 280Hz and have no capability below the 80Hz crossover, whilst the subwoofer won't kick in until the cross-over frequency. So you would be better off raising the crossover frequency a bit. The key issue I was trying to point out is that if you use the auto-configuration then the amp does some correction for equalisation and will boost bass to the small speakers. As I said this can lead to very high power and burnt out coils. I know because I did this to a pair of Energy Encore speakers. Denon support was very helpful, whilst Energy did eventually admit the auto set-up could cause a problem but they haven't included a warning in their set-up instructions yet. I got partial compensation for the repairs!

If you go with large I suggest you check what the amp sets for equalisation after the calibration and beware DVDs with deep bass (especially the beginning of Blade 3 where the subway noises are intense). You can compensate for bass by increasing the sub-woofer volume.

The manufacturers of small speakers claim that large is ok because it usually is but the auto equalisation of the Denon upsets things.

10. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi mate ,

thanks for the info so what would you recomend as when i had the auto setup done it set them up a LARGE ....

What do you think i should have them setup as .........

see the thing i dont understand is the bose speakers are not pluged in direct to the denon amp they go the the bose sub first then out from there ,

as they can not be pluged direct to amp ....

Hence the reason why they bose that is to set a LARGE and let the sub sort the freq i might be wrong any if would be great mate thanks

11. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,935
    And the the reason why you had the amp set to LFE + MAINS in order for the sub portion to fill in the lower frequencies which the cubes do not reproduce. From the advice in the manual I'd say that the Bose SUB unit acts as the crossover filter for the cubes and requires a full frequency range to be sent to it. Hence the recommendation for "LARGE" in the manual. It's not inferring the cubes can reproduce frequencies below a crossover level, but that the Bose sub needs all the signal to divert some to the cubes and the rest to the Sub unit. That's if I've read the manual bit right!

12. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using the LFE connection then you'll probably be better letting the 4306 digitally extract the bass signals as the Bose unit could only do an analogue filtering which inherently will introduce some inter-channel crossover. What ever you choose for speaker size don't let the 4306 automatically do any equalisation as this will attempt to defeat the Bose system. Also you may not be able to use the Audyssey function as it too will not be necessarily able to understand what the Bose system is doing. I suggest you set this setting to Flat.

You might be best advised to contact Denon Support and ask for their advice as they may well have encountered this issue already.

13. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi i have emailed DENON lets see what they say ,,,,

As i cant turn the bose on and off so i can't let denon av amp control the sub .....

I think i have a lot off playing about to do .................

14. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi just been reading the manual for the amp the speakers

look's like i have to do a manual setup , but what freq to i set the speakers and subs to is it 80Hz or lower

Do i leave the Eq Flat as the manual say's

any help will be great ...

All i know is i need to send full range off sound to the sub then it filters out whats needed to each speaker and sub ...hopefully that is correct ...thanks

15. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Quote from Denon ,

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

It sounds like the speakers are not capable of handling much power, hence the connection though the sub.
    If the Bose manual suggests those settings then give it a go, we could not maje any better suggestions for their speakers.

The auto setup defines Audyessy, so if the auto setup will not complete or has to manu errors then you will not get any Audyessy room correction.

We hope this information is of assistance

nope not helpfull at all :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

16. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi been playing with loads off settings ,

i have done a manual setup up but i feel the need to make the center speaker louder then it is for my personel taste ............

And add a little more treble to the setup .....

Whats the best way to do this ...

What settings should i mess with please thanks

17. RSRAVI

RSRAVI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Ok i done another auto setup

yesterday as manual setup did not sound that good was dull and low on vocals on the center speaker

I turned the bass and LFE levels down on the sub

and done a auto setup ....

It calbrates and checks speakers twice then calulates

One done the system sounded much much better more detail and better vocal sounds
    I has to set the sub level up and adjust the sub level on the amp other then that perfect .....

I looked at the settings

The crossovers where set to

Front 40Hz
    Center 40Hz
    Rear 40 Hz

And sub 80Hz ..............

Don know if that's good or safe but system is great very nice detail and bass now very happy with it ........:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: