AVR-4306 now or 4308 later?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Joonas, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Joonas

Joonas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Denon AVR-4306 has been the receiver I have been looking at since last summer when I upgraded my speaker set to Dynaudio Focus 140, 110, 200 C and SUB500. Now it is sold at very attractive price in Germany (EUR 1325,00 + transport cost). Problem is that now the price is right but on the other hand new AVR-4308 is also around the corner... Will I be missing something essential if I now go with the 4306 compared to waiting for 4308?

2 HDMI outs would be nice ofcourse but the above price of 4306 + HDMI splitter is still tempting - and a lot less than new 4308 will be, I suppose.

I am mostly interested in the video capabilities of the 4306. Ethernet, internet radio and/or iPod connectivity have absolutely no value to me. Does the scaler in Denon really help DVB-T picture quality? Is there a really visible difference compared between Topfield 5100 PVRt feeding Panasonic AE700 with SCART RGB directly or DENON scaling and converting that signal to HDMI 720p? I will not need the scaling capability for DVD as my 2910 has the same scaler, does it not.

Thank you for you expert opinions!

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,309
    Depends if you're in a hurry to buy or not. As yet, full specs of the 4308 haven't been released so we don't know for sure what other features might have been added.

3. razorlight

razorlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the AVR-4306 in March 2007 and am very happy with it. Does everything I need and more. Don't dismiss the Ethernet connectivity it's really cool. There is also Windows Media Connector which allows connection to a windows media centre so you can play all your mp3s and WMV files directly.

As far as upscaling DVB-T signals, I personally can't see the improvement in picture quality so don't expect DVD quality signals from DVB-T. You really need HD/component sources to get a worthwhile improvement in picture quality. I got SkyHD and the results from the HD channels is stunning.

Louis

4. DragonDan69

DragonDan69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,

If you can wait, the 4308 should be released by July or August latest.

More definite details are coming out in June. I found out, because I called Denon directly! (just couldn't resist!:rotfl: )

Here is a link to my thread(of the conversation with Denon):
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517800

:thumbsup:

5. Joonas

Joonas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

The price of the 4308 was just too much for me. Therefore I decided to order the 4306 which really only lacks the second HDMI out. At a little under EUR 1300 (£880) I would consider it a good deal.:)

6. DragonDan69

DragonDan69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,

Yes, theres nothing wrong with going for exsiting technology, at a much better price. As HD sound formats have a good 1-2 years to really be ironed out, and even then, more fine tuning etc.

I was bored and did a google on the Denon 4308, heres some links(they're really the same information, but if your really bored.......:thumbsup: ):

http://techdigest.tv/2007/05/denon_avr4308_d.html

http://www.gadgetcentre.com/news/article.asp?UAN=997&v=1

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/05/17/denon.avr.4308.receiver/

Thats all folks!:thumbsup: