• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVR 400 Question

Roger Weir

Currently have an Arcam Solo original version. I use it with a pair of Qual 11L speakers and an M&J sub.

This is great for music, but I cannot get rid of the small lip- sync problems when watching Sky, Apple TV or Blu-rays. Each unit's audio goes into the Solo and picture goes to my Samsung TV via HDMI.

Would the AVR 400 be a good solution to this and offer an improvement for music? Could I still use the Solo for it's CD player? Are my speakers appropriate? I'm only interested in 2.1 sound for movies etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The short answer is yes to all three questions. The long answer is that's it's a rather expensive way to solve your problem.

A much cheaper solution is to run all signals through the TV and let the TV do everything. It costs nothing, but doesn't work with some crippled TV's (e.g. Samsung).

If you use digital connectivity, you could use a Felston DD740, it supports four inputs, one more than you currently need.

For analogue connectivity there are Lindy and CYP analogue stereo lipsync correctors.

Roger Weir

Mark.Yudkin said:
The short answer is yes to all three questions. The long answer is that's it's a rather expensive way to solve your problem.

A much cheaper solution is to run all signals through the TV and let the TV do everything. It costs nothing, but doesn't work with some crippled TV's (e.g. Samsung).

If you use digital connectivity, you could use a Felston DD740, it supports four inputs, one more than you currently need.

For analogue connectivity there are Lindy and CYP analogue stereo lipsync correctors.

Thanks for that. I didn't know these products existed. I'll look at them this week.

larkone

Distinguished Member
You can solve the Sky box problem for the time being very simply by adjusting the lip sync in the box.

Go to 'Settings', 'Sound', and adjust the digital audio delay.

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. I didn't know these products existed. I'll look at them this week.
If you tell us how you've connected which component, what connections your TV has, and which model it is, it's likely we could give you a tailor-made low cost solution.

Roger Weir

Err, tried the Sky HD audio delay setting, but doesn't seem to make ay difference to phono audio out.

The issue is that the Arcam Solo has no digital audio in, only phono, so the Blu-ray and Sky HD connect to it via their phono audio out. The Apple TV only has digital audio out so in converted to phono via an Arcam rDAC which is excellent by the way. TV is a Samsung that only has digital audio out in stereo irrespective of source input, with the exception of it's freeview channels.

What I am going to try is the following;

Sky HD digital out to Felston Digital Audio Delay box
Apple TV digital out to Felston
Blu-ray digital out to Felston
Felston digital out to Arcam rDac
Arcam rDac phono out to Arcam Solo

Hopefully this will improve the audio from the Blu-ray and SKY HD boxes as they now go through the Arcam rDac, not just the Apple TV

Felston and digital audio cables should be here in a few days, so fingers crossed.

Roger Weir

Ok - done this now - worked a treat. A few points to note:

Although the device supports 4 digital inputs they are 2 x coax and 2 x toslink type. None of my devices have coax digital so I either have buy a converter or exclude a device.

The remote control appears faulty but the dealer is sending a new one.

Overall quite happy.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member

Roger Weir

Thanks.

This Felston DD740 is really good. It's great to able to watch the picture whilst fine tuning the delay, then store settings, up to 9 per device. Thanks for the recommendation.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom