AVR 390 + Kef q series

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by schiremath, Aug 25, 2017.

1. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Everyone,
    I am thinking of upgrading my current AVR + kef to new set.
    My current set-up is as follows:
    Arcam AVR 350
    KEF 3005 (5.1)

Looking to upgrade to KEF q550 + Q650C + REL T5i. Will use kef eggs as rear speakers.
    With regards to AVR I am torn between Yamaha RXA3060 OR Arcam AVR 390.

I need advice and suggestions as to which AVR I should go for the above speaker set-up?

We normally watch movies from Netflix, and documentaries from sky, BBC iPlayer and listen to music from spotify.

Thanks
    Sanjeev

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    With either of those receivers I would be looking at the KEF R Series at the very least. You could still use the Eggs as surrounds. Try and get a side by side audition if you can but unless there has been a significant improvement with Q550s the old Q500s were easily outperformed by a pair of R300s. Your choice of receivers deserve good speakers and as good as the Q Series, old and new, are they simply are not good enough for them. If Qs are for you then something like the Denon X4300 would be more than adequate at over half the cost of the Arcam or Yamaha.

As for the sub that can depend on your room size. It is an excellent choice for music but does lack the depth and power for strong filmatic effects, which can be said of most of the T Series. Set up correctly for music it is quick and underpins beautifully.

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I would suggest changing your speakers first, and see how they sound with your current AVR. Unless, you want some new features in your next AVR?

4. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yesterday, I went to listen to Q550/ Rel t5i with Arcam 390. I was quite disappointed with the output. Just to validate we plugged-in Naim uniti Atom. I was blow away. Unfortunately, naim is good only for 2 channels & doesn't have surround capabilities. I had to discard that.

I am confused now, is that the speaker setting or the Amp that didn't deliver the sound that I was looking for.

Today, I am going again today to listen to R500 with Arcam 390 / 550 & possibly Yamaha RXA 1070. RXA 3060 is not in stock at the moment.

As far as Sub what other sub would you recommend apart from REL T5i ?
    Happy to try other brand too.

Thanks
    Sanjeev

5. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent suggestion, I was thinking of the same. Get speakers first try out & then change Amp if required.
    I will demo today R500 with R200c, Rel T5i. Although this is out of my budget I am happy to try this provided if Q550 doesn't deliver the sound of my taste.

Thanks
    Sanjeev

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
  7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I missed your other post. You can use a stereo amp in combination with your AVR, either via a speaker switch or via the AVR pre-outs. You might want to consider adding a power amp if you are looking at getting bigger speakers.

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    You should concentrate on getting good speakers at the moment if you are working to a budget. Your present 350 is a good receiver even though it lacks HD audio so it could do in the short term. Your proposed upgrade to the 390 is a fairly big step up in audio quality, as would be the Yamaha, but both could be spoiled by the wrong choice of speaker. I would go for speakers first, a good speaker will serve you well for many years, receivers tend to come and go.

You have not given us your room dimensions or rough plan of where you want to place what are rather large floorstanders. As far as subs go the BK range is highly thought of.

9. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks gibbsy and punctilio for your suggestions & response.

I went to audition yesterday and did the demo with AVR 390/550, speaker set both Q & R series. I was blow away by the AVR 550 & R500. such a detail sound especially in the mid-range. Wow!.
    definitely R500 are the killers.

I had started some where (yamaha 1070/3060 with Q550) and ended with AVR 550 & Kef R500 ,200C with REL t5i. Haven't placed an order yet but now looking at the room asthetics and positioning. finding really hard to find the perfect place for floor standing speakers and Rel sub.

Our room dimension is 12 X 20 foot ( sort of rectangle with two doors and I bay window).

I was talking to audio expert and he suggested that distance b/w speakers and listening position should be equilateral triangle, which is kind of hard to achieve within my living room due to door.

Thanks
    Sanjeev

10. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I have the 550 and have heard the KEF R500 a few times. Fantastic combo. Ideally a triangle is what you want with the speakers away from the wall and the listening position away from the wall too. If you have a diagram it might be easier to understand your layout.

11. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    I can equate to the room dimensions, not too far away from mine. A good seperation between the floorstanders means having the 500s at the very least 2 ft away from a side wall. The 500s are fairly easy to place but still need a good distance from the wall. It's pointless spending out on speakers that will not sound their best in a limited position.

You could be better off, for ease of placement with standmounts on quality stands. Now you are looking at the KEF R300s. Just because they are standmounts don't think they perform too far below the 500s, in my audition it was very very close. You can still run the 300s with a 200C, as I do such is the performance of the 200. The 300s will easily fill your room.

12. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well well , I went back again today to audition Yamaha 3070 with R500.somehow it didn't quite match-up to AVR550.

Finally thinking of settling with AVR 550 but I was told that MA Silver are equally good. Since the stock is expected in 2 weeks time I return with neither Amp nor speakers. I am currently left with my old systems.

While I am reading about AVR550 manual i learnt that it doesn't have wifi but requires Ethernet for internet streaming. If this is true, how can we stream Spotify without internet? I definitely don't have option to draw Ethernet cable from my study room to living room. It's not practical.
    Could, someone shed some light here how to stream Spotify in AVR 550 without Ethernet. Do I have to buy extra gadget?

Thanks in advance.
    Sanjeev

13. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yesterday went to dealer again to audition new MA silver 200 with MA C150
    I liked the looks. They are nice and compact looking. Good sound too. They were hooked with AVR550. Played varieties of audio & movies.

Although sounded clean & loud, I felt in some cases highs were clipped. Mid-range & low were very good. Adjusted room EQ and tried to stream Spotify with Blusound. Slight quality improved. Running at about 60db - 65db
    For comparison we switched to R500. Oh man, it's difference straight away. Sound from R500 were rounded, clear. Especially centre speak R200c expression were lovely.

According to dealer it's not a fair comparison only because MA silver were running for 20/30hrs compared R500 running not for 100's hrs.

Has anybody compare these 2 models side by side and what you guys think ? Is it a fair comparison ?

Right from the beginning I was inclined towards Kef series as I currently own kef Satellite but waited this long as couldn't decide due to space constraints. Also I believe R500 plus. ARCAM blend in well.

Finally went with R500 plus r200C plus AVR 550.:clap: Due to room size we went with REL T5i.
    I hope I made the right choice.

Do you guys have any suggestions for set-up & sub placement and etc. Given that I got space constrains. Can sub be hidden in a corner behind big sofa chair ?

Please suggest various options for placement. Also would need some advice on Dirac as I will be using this for the first time.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Thanks

14. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    I have my T5 placed just in a corner behind an armchair. A few inches either way seemed to make ever such a slight difference and it took a while to get the perfect bass tgat I wanted. If you are going to use the wireless option then your perfect spot may be easier to find. Great choice with the R500s as well.

15. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tips. My current Sub is hidden behind the sofa in a corner. sounds good.
    As I am not going to give away my Kef subwoofer, I was told that I could use 2nd subs with centre speaker with AVR 550. I plan to experiment little bit with this now :-(
    Has anyone tried this and what is the logic behind this and how does it effect overall.
    Since I am going with R200c will additional sub makes any better or worse ?

Also another advice I wanted is should I set cross over freq with from Kef R500 or Dirac will do all this for me ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

16. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Two subs can certainly be better than one, they can help fill the voids where frequencies are lost known as nulls. As for the crossovers then after running the room EQ the front three should be set at 80hz. In the size settings all the speakers in the system should be set as being small.

17. schiremath

schiremath
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much. I will try this out.
    I am not able to understand why big speaker should be set to small. is this only for EQ and then set them back to big correct?

Also how people in avforum connect T5i to AVR's so that the setting can be used for both Stero and cinema (dolby 5.1) set-up without fiddling subwoofer set-up.
    I am reading T5i manual and looks confusing and complicated especially using Neutrik Speakon connector.

Thanks

18. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Crossovers are set to 80hz and therefore the speakers have to be set to small so that all signals below that are sent to the sub(s). If you reset the speakers to large then the crossover gets ignored and the full range gets sebt to the speakers. This is not how DVDs have been mixed and will not sound as good. It will also increase the strain on both speakers and receiver and may give a poorer mids and highs on some speakers. It is therefore important in a 5.1 set up to have all speakers set as small.

If you are going to use two subs then connect by LFE only. Neutrik is great for music but only if you really listen to a lot and in the direct mode. The Neutrik is connected to the speaker out terminals so that the low bass is sent to the sub which in many cases goes far deeper than the average speaker. However I found very little difference between the Neutrik and HDMI from my Denon 6200 and disconnected it. It would probably make a difference with a good stereo amp but not with receivers. The T5, however even with HDMI does a really good job with underpinning music as it is very quick.