AVR-3808 question photo attached

bpchia

Standard Member
Hello,

I have the AVR-3808 and 5 speakers plus subwoofer. When I input a Dolby Digital 2.0 stream via digital coaxial from my Pioneer DVD player to the AVR-3808, the input signal on the left of the display indicates that it is receiving "FL", "FR" and "S" channels (see attached photo).

What is the "S" channel? Mono surround? But the DVD player and the DVD cover indicate the film is encoded in Dolby 2.0. I also get this with some AC3 signals from my digital set top box (Australian Digital TV) which are also supposed to be 2.0 signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
<!-- / message -->

Attachments

• DSCF5437.JPG
    DSCF5437.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 109

mossym

Distinguished Member
i presume s is the subwoofer channel. do you have any type of bass management set on your player?

bpchia

Standard Member
No I don't, and the subwoofer input shows as "LFE" channel on the left input signal display, not as "S". On the right, the subwoofer output shows as "SW".

mossym

Distinguished Member
oh yeah, true. tough to remember when not sitting in front of my own.

spooney

Hello,

I have the AVR-3808 and 5 speakers plus subwoofer. When I input a Dolby Digital 2.0 stream via digital coaxial from my Pioneer DVD player to the AVR-3808, the input signal on the left of the display indicates that it is receiving "FL", "FR" and "S" channels (see attached photo).

What is the "S" channel? Mono surround? But the DVD player and the DVD cover indicate the film is encoded in Dolby 2.0. I also get this with some AC3 signals from my digital set top box (Australian Digital TV) which are also supposed to be 2.0 signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
<!-- / message -->

After same serious research in the manual:
S stands for Surround in Dolby Prologic mode (together with L,R,C to make it 4.0)

lotsatoys

The odd thing,to me, is the fact that the avr is showing that 3 audio channels are being decoded,when the OP is saying that the source is DD 2-channel. Perhaps the disc info is wrong.:confused:

spooney

The odd thing,to me, is the fact that the avr is showing that 3 audio channels are being decoded,when the OP is saying that the source is DD 2-channel. Perhaps the disc info is wrong.:confused:

Not really odd actually. If the OP has set Dolby Pro logic the AVR will process the S channel out of the existing channels.
You can do the same to emulate a 6th (or 7th) Surround Back speaker from a 5.1. source or even from a stereo source. Bottomline is there are tons of settings to play around

lotsatoys

Not really odd actually. If the OP has set Dolby Pro logic the AVR will process the S channel out of the existing channels.
You can do the same to emulate a 6th (or 7th) Surround Back speaker from a 5.1. source or even from a stereo source. Bottomline is there are tons of settings to play around
Hi spooney, I know all that,but if you look at the piccie the OP posted, you can see clearly that 3 channels are being recieved by the AVR (LHS of display) The RHS of the Denon display, shows number of amplifier channels being used,ie stereo,5.1,6.1or7.1 etc. :)

spooney

Hi spooney, I know all that,but if you look at the piccie the OP posted, you can see clearly that 3 channels are being recieved by the AVR (LHS of display) The RHS of the Denon display, shows number of amplifier channels being used,ie stereo,5.1,6.1or7.1 etc. :)

Fair enough but actually I can't recognize anything on the pix.:cool:

bpchia

Standard Member
Hi,

Definitely the source is DD 2.0 because I have the same three channels showing up on the left with a variety of 2 channel AC3 sources from both my DVD player and DVB-T set top box (both output on S/PDIF coaxial).

I don't have my DVD player set to output Pro Logic and my set top box doesn't have a Pro Logic feature.

My AVR 3808 is not set to Pro Logic either and in any case the left hand side shows the number of input channels.

If this was a case of three channel input (ie left front, right front and mono surround) the only options I have for output is stereo (with subwoofer for frequencies below crossover) or one of the Pro Logic II modes. I can't set it to output the left front, right front and mono surround (ie output the surround channel to both surrround speakers).

I'm still not sure why this "S" channel is showing up though???

Thanks, Ben

spooney

Maybe it is just a flaw (bug)? Does it show up always, I mean does it show up with multi-channel input?
I never saw mine being lit.

bpchia

Standard Member
Absolutely no problem with DD or DTS 5.1 signals or PCM signals. I did have some early problems with the electronics like the wrong channel being output to the speakers, but that has cleared up. Should I do a software upgrade? Maybe a hard reset?

lotsatoys

Hi,

Definitely the source is DD 2.0 because I have the same three channels showing up on the left with a variety of 2 channel AC3 sources from both my DVD player and DVB-T set top box (both output on S/PDIF coaxial).

I don't have my DVD player set to output Pro Logic and my set top box doesn't have a Pro Logic feature.

My AVR 3808 is not set to Pro Logic either and in any case the left hand side shows the number of input channels.

If this was a case of three channel input (ie left front, right front and mono surround) the only options I have for output is stereo (with subwoofer for frequencies below crossover) or one of the Pro Logic II modes. I can't set it to output the left front, right front and mono surround (ie output the surround channel to both surrround speakers).

I'm still not sure why this "S" channel is showing up though???

Thanks, Ben
Hi again,I've tried to replicate this with a DD2.0 signal,and failed to get the S showing in the LHS display,so no joy there.Regarding decoding the signal as PL,ie mono surround,have you tried switching the surround back speakers off and going to parameters-audio-surr.parameters-mode-and select pro-logic?This works for me,I think we may have discussed a similar issue in one of your first posts on these forums.:)

spooney

Absolutely no problem with DD or DTS 5.1 signals or PCM signals. I did have some early problems with the electronics like the wrong channel being output to the speakers, but that has cleared up. Should I do a software upgrade? Maybe a hard reset?

I suggest:
- Backup the settings to your PC
- Do a hard reset
- Run through the setup and
- Backup the new settings

In the likely case it is gone away I would restore the first backup to find out which settings have caused this.

bpchia

Standard Member
I have set the decoding to Pro Logic but this does a 5.1 output...what actually IS Pro Logic as opposed to Pro Logic II?

Would I have to turn off the centre and sub to do mono surround?

Spooney, I can't find instructions for a hard reset in the manual, can you instruct? Is a firmware update advisable?

Another clue: when I select DIRECT mode with a 2 channel input (shown as LF and LR on left hand side), my subwoofer (indicated by SW) lights up on the right hand side, but no signal actually reaches the sub...I thought DIRECT was only supposed to output exactly the same input channels, but with mine it seems to add the subwoofer but nothing is sent to it.

Many thanks, Ben

mossym

Distinguished Member
there is an option to have the sub on/off in direct stereo mode.

bpchia

Standard Member
Yes but that also turns it off for stereo mode right? You can't have it on for stereo and off for direct...

Why in Direct mode, even when the subwoofer is set to ON, and the right hand side shows SW output, does no sound get sent to the sub? In stereo it does. Crossover is set to 80Hz.

Last edited:

bpchia

Standard Member
Hi all,

I got this reply on DTV Forum Australia, it seems accurate:

"The DD steam, despite being 2 channel, has a flag in the stream that says "ok, if you have a surround sound processor, you can decode the stream with pro-logic and get a surround stream" i.e. surround is matrixed into L&R (like it has been for donkies years).
Sometimes the broadcasters can be bothered to enable that flag, sometimes they don't and you have to setup the amp to pro-logic decode the 2 channels regardless of the surround flag."

spooney

I have set the decoding to Pro Logic but this does a 5.1 output...what actually IS Pro Logic as opposed to Pro Logic II?

Towards the end of the manual you will find all information regarding the different surround modes.

Lord Bunky

The back channel is showing the signal has a Dolby Surround encoded programme from the source signal.

I have this show up on some of the DVD's i have.

bpchia

Standard Member
Does that mean that within the 2 encoded channels, the surround channel audio is matrixed out of phase?
In that case, which decoding method best resolves the surround channels?

Thanks, Ben

spooney

Does that mean that within the 2 encoded channels, the surround channel audio is matrixed out of phase?

Thanks, Ben

This is correct. Prologic and Prologic II are able to calculate the additional channels out of the stereo mix.

lotsatoys

[quote=bpchia;

Only you can decide that IMO.Pro-logic was Dolbys' first go at surround sound,which can be applied over any stereo signal,digital or analog,and gives a mono signal to both RL and RR speakers.Pro-logicII is a enhancement offering stereo to the rear speakers.I use the further enhanced Pro-logicIIX for all stereo film and TV sound,partly to use my 7.1 array,or Mrs Lotsatoys will say,whats the point of the surround back speakers,and also because it gives a more spacious,enveloping sound.:)

bpchia

Standard Member
Thanks spooney and lotsatoys. In the manual it says to use Pro Logic for those programs that were encoded using Pro Logic. How would you know?

spooney

Thanks spooney and lotsatoys. In the manual it says to use Pro Logic for those programs that were encoded using Pro Logic. How would you know?

Simple. You don't ;) unless it is stated on the box (which might be a very rare case theses days)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution