avr 3806 -- Rel strata 5 sub

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by norge, Apr 22, 2007.

1. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As most of you know rel strata and other version of rel can be connected via either

1) Hi level --by connecting sub via front speakers main output

2) Low level --- the usual way via the sub pre out

I tried them both on my 3806 and want to ask some questions and confirm some points as well.

In order to have cinema sound not just stereo is it also recommended to connect sub via Hi level?

When you connect via Hi level you need not to configure sub in amplifier right? At least in my case with sub configured and not....results were the same.

Whenever sub is configured so that it is connected via low level output, 3806 equiliser can be set either to manual or off...Is this normal?

Well, I did not go through many settings of the strata 5 sub but my first impressions were that via low level, sub seemed to give better results when connected to 3806

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    If the new Rel's still work like the old models then you can connect up via both the High and Low level at the same time. That way you can get the best of both worlds for music and movies. For example you'd set the main speaker settings to all small, all bass to the sub and use the low level connection. This would be ideal for movies. You'd then go into the Advanced Playback menu and set up the 2ch Direct/Stereo modes as Large speakers, no subwoofer. This would then use the High Level connection for music.

Not sure what modes the new Rel's have. The older ones had Mode 1, 2, 3 & 4 and seperate High/Low level volume controls.

You should be able to select either Audyssey, Flat, Front, Manual or Off for the EQ. If it won't let you select all these then you'd need to do a reset and re-run the Auto Setup/EQ.

3. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks...My sub is exactly like the one in this link:
    http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

Yes it has seperate hi and low volume controls but the same knob....

Did not know you can connect these at the same time.

Well with sub configured from 3806 , equiliser options were as i said but did not run the auto set up with sub...maybe that is the reason...I will try it again when I am back to my location where i have the system

Is it recommended for cinema to set speakers to Small then and sub configuration to LFE only?

Thanks

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    Setting all speakers to small and sub to LFE would generally be the best option for the majority of setups.

Only thing to bear in mind with connecting via both the High and Low level at the same time is that it can sometimes confuse the Auto Setup/EQ.

5. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I think connect it via low level and will set it to small and lfe set to 60Hz or 40Hz. I have Aelite floorstanders 34hz-27kHZ.

But i like to experiment... As I would say what is the purpose of Large in settings then...if connected via hi sub still is fed all low frequency range right...but base might be too powerul then or problem of phase gets is as well...as the stickyon bass managment in subwoofers sections explains.

Well that article seems to argue that "When you set a loudspeaker to LARGE, you are in effect telling the bass management to bypass that speaker and send it the full range of that channel’s information." I think if speakers are set to large you can still use the crossover to feed your sub...Right?

6. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    Bass management can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer in terms of what they offer but generally setting the speakers to large will send full range signals to that channel. The older Denon models do this. The new models however, seemed to have changed things and you can set them to Large but still have them bass managed (according to the guys at Audyssey).

The good thing about the new models is you can set up the 2ch Stereo/Direct modes with an independent set of speaker settings. Handy if you have floorstanders or speakers capable of producing decent bass. It's now possible to get the best of both worlds for movies and music (with or without sub etc).

7. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi...just back form my place where I have my surround system...I was playing with some of the settings of my 3806 and rel strata 5....I found that if I set speakers to Large and crossover 150Hz and LFE+MAIN, I can get what seems to be clear bass for both stereo and films through Low level input...I will be using as bass both speakers and sub ...so I might to have further settings for phase..etc but seem ok to me...though I still have not heard a sound track with explosions and so on.

In 3806 when speakers are set to small..sub settings LFE or LFE+Main make no difference and makes sense to me....hope this is normal after all.
    Do not know why settings menu still gives this option as a choice.....