AVR 3806, it's arrived

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HarryW, Nov 3, 2005.

1. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

i picked up my Denon AVR 3806 this morinng, will have a good play over the comming days and let you know what it's like.

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hurry up harry :)

Between this and the Yamaha 2600.

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've ordered mine and just waiting for delivery, hopefully Saturday if not I've got to wait until next Saturday :mad: Be interested to hear what you think - what did you have previously?

4. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ... we're going down the pub! :)

Sorry, bored at work and couldn't resist it. :devil:

5. kmb

kmb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine's on order, any info, comments or setup tips gratefully received.

6. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just ordered a 3806 too, got a good trade in on my 2802 and 2800. :) Hope it's as good as it looks. They say I could have it as early as Wednesday next week... which in reality probably means Saturday as I won't be able to get there until then.

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where at please, also what was the offer for your 3802?

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i'd need to get £500 for my 3803 to even think of getting a 3805, nevermind a 3806...lol

9. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It was a 2802 not a 3802 I traded. :)

Harry. Can I ask a couple of questions after reading through the US manual, trying to get a feel for what it can and can't do. Obviously I'm getting the UK version, but the US site has a manual online.

1. I was under the impression that it had no video up-scaling, and the manual backs this up, however the dealer convinced me that the 3806 was better than the Yamaha 4600, which does have up-scaling, and also mentioned that the 3806 has up-scaling too. Does it? I see no mention of it. I had planned to stick my NTL box in and upscale to 1080i.

2. The manual seems to suggest that if you want to use HDMI out to DVI-D on an LCD/Plasma, then you need to be sure you have 480i/576i support into the DVI-D (I can only take 480p/575p/720p/1080i through the single DVI-D on my PF9986). Is this the case? The setup and display functions will only work on interlaced? I assume that all progressive outputs will still be passed through from component to hdmi to my LCD intact so that they can be displayed even although the setup menu can't? And will the amp display volume overlays and so on on the TV whilst displaying the source? I assume that I can take a 2nd monitor output over video for setup purposes?

Thanks.

10. bilge

bilge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    More importantly how does it sound?
    in particular how does it sound in stereo playing your favourite CD's please

11. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm assuming it sounds great. So. More importantly, how does the connectivity work? lol.

12. bilge

bilge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :rotfl:
    but seriously...
    I've just trashed my 3801 and while I'm waiting for the insurance people to produce a 3806 I am enjoying a remarkably wonderful soundstage from a cheap Sony stereo amp... far better than the 3801 could produce :confused:

13. GreasyWeasel

GreasyWeasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've been looking into this as I'm also very interested in the 3806. From what I have found out the 3806 does not do upscaling however it does appear to do upconverting. Basically it looks like it will allow you up your analogue connections to the amp to a better output.

For example, if you connect a component connection in to your amp, the amp will allow you to output via the HDMI connection or if you connect a s video connection you could output to component. However it will not change a 480p up to 720p or 1080i.

I hope that makes sense and is right. Can anyone who has manged to get one of these confirm this?

14. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I spoke to a denon rep at stuff show today at novotel hammersmith. He said the 3806 does not upscale pictures. But he reckoned they were demoing a new receiver 4306. That one has upscaling,better features than 3806 and according to the denon rep it will retail for about £1500.

15. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Ok, i can confirm it does not do upscaling only up-converting as GreasyWeasel pointed out. The EQ setup function is great, sound is fantastic especially with pure direct on. Remote has also be reworked. i've only just strted to setup and configure so let me have a look at the rest of the features before i comment.

16. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The manual (I'm reading the US one) is confusing. It goes on about how it can convert 480p or whatever from component to equivalent in HDMI but then goes on to say that the HDMI out should not be connected to displays that can't display 480i/576i.

My philips will only take 1080i, plus all the progressive modes upto 720p. So it won't take 480i/576i. Does this really mean I can't use the HDMI output and analogue to hdmi conversion? Or does it simply mean that the on screen display (and setup screen) from the 3806 can't be displayed on my TV over HDMI, but if I was to use a video output into the TV I'd be fine when using the setup GUI? My TV only has one useable input (exluding scarts and video) and thats the DVI-D socket which accepts HDMI, and component, via an adaptor in addition to taking DVI-D.

17. zerolight

zerolight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    harrumph.

Got my 3806 today. Plugged in an hdmi to DVI cable from the amp to my PF9986. Can't get it to display anything from component or hdmi converted to hdmi and output to TV.