1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR-3805 & Room EQ

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PDM, Feb 9, 2005.

1. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All :)
    can anyone help me with the following questions concerning the AVR-3805 :

Q1. I only seem to be able to switch Room EQ between Manual and OFF... i.e. flat, normal and front DO NOT appear as options. Can someone please advise as to what I have to do in-order to have flat, normal and front for Room EQ??

Q2. Is it possible to have set up the AVR to a "default volume level" for all sources? i.e. when I switch between Sky+, DVD or CD. Currently, I have to constantly adjust the volume depending upon the source (even between channels on Sky+).

Thanks in advance,

P

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    HI,

Regarding Q1, check the set up menu and see if you've assigned room EQ to ALL, you may have set it to a specific surround parameter and maybe this may be the reason ? I have the 2805 and AFAIK the room EQ settings are the same.

Q2, Not really sure, there is no mention in the 2805 manual (again I think they share the same set up procedures), so can't help you on this one sorry.

All the best,

Graham.

3. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,
    the Room EQ (System Setup Menu -> 1. Auto Setup/Room EQ -> 3. Room EQ Setup) is set to "All".

If I select this option again I only see "Manual" and "Off" for the EQ Curve. Its really strange that I do not see options for "Flat", "Normal" or "Front".

Is the "Center" speaker required for these options? As my current setup is a 4.1 (i.e. FL, FR, SW, SL "B" and SR "B").

Anyother suggestions would be very much appreciated.

regs,

Pal

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    PDM,

I'm sorry I can't think why this is happening unless.....
    Have you connected the surround speakers to the surround BACK instead of the surround L/R connections ? You say in your origonal post :- my current setup is a 4.1 (i.e. FL, FR, SW, SL "B" and SR "B"). You wont get any sound out of the surround speakers if they are because the amp has not detected them in its auto set up routine.
    This may be why you are'nt getting the room EQ settings. Check the wiring of the surround speakers and make sure that they are wired into the SURROUND L/R and not SURROUND BACK.
    I don't think not having a centre will affect room EQ, so double check the wiring.
    Keep me informed as to how you get on.

Graham

5. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is worth checking.

To emulate your situation (and prove my line of thought), I connected a single speaker to my setup to create 6.1 system.
    Prior to this, my speakers were connected to:

FL, FR, C, Surround 'A' L, Surround 'A' R.

This 5 speaker (plus sub) arrangement gave me the options of OFF, MANUAL, FLAT & NORMAL under Room EQ.

I then connected the additional speaker to the Left Channel of the SURR. BACK / MULTI ZONE terminals (as per manual instructions).

To use this speaker required 'activation' both by:

Selecting the Surround Back speaker size and quantity.
    (2: Speaker Setup, .1: Speaker Configuration)

Selecting 'Surround Back' for the amp assignment.
    (5: Option Setup, .1: Power AMP Assign)

This configuration restricts the Room EQ choices to those that you can see, ie MANUAL or OFF.

The use of the surround back channel/channels appears to restrict the EQ options.

The upshot of all this is, if your surrounds are connected to the amp's 'Surround Back' speaker terminals, this is likely to be the 'problem' (and assuming all EQ options are available with no 'Centre' speaker used).

It may help to rig up the monitor out of the amp to your TV (or whatever) during setup which will help navigating through all the options.

Hope all this helps (and makes sense).

{EDIT}

In the manual it states that:

"The equaliser setting of NORMAL, FLAT, and FRONT can be selected after performing the Auto Setup.

When the speaker set as NONE with the auto setup is changed to on manually, the equaliser of NORMAL, FRONT, and FLAT cannot be used."

This obviously explains my results above in that I have manually overidden the speaker detection performed by auto setup when adding the surround back speaker. (The full EQ choices return when I change all the settings back to deactivate the surround back speaker).

Perhaps the answer is to ensure that the surrounds are not connected to any of the 'Surround Back' terminals and run Auto Setup.

:cool:

6. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mechanic / Emm :thumbsup:

My configuration had been
    "FL, FR, SW, Surround 'B' L, Surround 'B' R." N.B. Not Surround L or R.
    Upon running AutoEQ this morning I realised that the system was complaining (i.e. "Error") that the "Surround 'A' L, Surround 'A' R" were not connected and would not allow me to store/save the AutoEQ setup results. Hence, probably not allowing "Front", "Flat", "Normal" RoomEQ.

However, switching it to :
    "FL, FR, SW, Surround 'A' L, Surround 'A' R."
    and storing the AutoEQ results provide me with the capability to switch Room EQ to "Front", "Flat", "Normal", "Maual" and "Off".... :clap:

Have noticed that the max Master Volume is now approx -3dB... However, I have to lower the Master Volume now to approx -40 to -50dB for hearing without any damage to my ears (previous setup would have been approx -25dB)!

many thanks for your precise feedback and assistance... :thumbsup: :clap: :hiya: