1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 3805 (Dolby Digital / Ext. In)?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GMS, Oct 14, 2005.

1. GMS

GMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, recently purchased a 3805 and 3910 and have had considerable problems setting them up. I have to say, the manuals are not very user friendly!

Originally, after taking advice from a hi-fi shop where the dealer didn't like the Denon Link feature, I set up the audio input via a co-axial cable and also connected up analogue connections so that I could listen to SACD. However, whilst I eventually worked out how to get excellent dolby digital and CD stereo performance I couldn't get the SACD to play in a multi-channel mode (the AVR 3805 manual is completely silent on how to do this.)

So, I connected up the Denon Link 3rd instead and whacked Dark Side of the Moon on and it sounds great. But, when I put a normal DVD in it shows DVD Ext.In rather than Dolby Digital in the display and I can't get it to get back to the Digital setting.

Reading the manual, it seems like the Ext. in setting bypasses the surround circuits which doesn't sound like a good thing to me for films??

My question: Is the Dolby Digital setting more appropriate for films than Ext.in or does it not matter either way? If it does matter, how do I get the 3805 to use the Ext.in for SACD and Dolby Digital for films without changing the system set-up all the time.

Many thanks for reading this and hope someone can help,

Regards

Greg

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    You're best bet is to use Denon Link for everything as it will give you the best performance. Not sure what the dealer is on if he doesn't like the feature.

The EXT In will bypass the 3805's internal decoders and surround processing so you'll be using the onboard decoding of the 3910 instead. This means you'll have no access to Dolby PLIIx, Dolby EX and other processing in the 3805.

Personally I would have the Denon Link connected and that's it. One cable will do the lot (SACD, DVD Audio, DTS/Dolby, PCM) and you'll have access to all the surround processing in the 3805.

If you want to use Denon Link for everything except SACD, in the 3910 Digital Interface Menu select Denon Link 2nd. On the 3805, go to the Digital In Assignment and set DLink to the DVD input and then the DLink No Signal setting to EXT IN.

If you want to use Denon Link for everything then set it in the 3910 menu to Denon Link 3rd.

Make sure you leave the Input Mode on the 3805 set to AUTO.

3. GMS

GMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help in resolving this problem. I had neglected to set up the Denon link in the DVD set-up menu. Everything is now working perfectly.

Kind regards

Greg