1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR 3805 & 2910 SACD Playback Problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ebesthawk, Jul 20, 2005.

1. ebesthawk

ebesthawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this, so forgive me if this is a simple fix.....i have connected my 3805 and 2910 for SACD playback via six analog cables and everything is connected correctly through the EXT IN jacks on the back of the 3805.....yet, when I pop in Dark Side of the Moon SACD, I'm only getting the two front channels to fire and not hearing any sound from the Center or surrounds.....anyone else had this issue?

I've double checked the connections and gone through the setups of both components but I can't figure it out....HELP. thanks!

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Just to check the obvious, but you do have the SACD player in "MULTI" mode, not "STEREO" or "CD", don't you? Press the "SACD Setup" button to check.

3. ebesthawk

ebesthawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did that also.....Every time I switch back and forth between multi, cd, and stereo, nothing changes.....just hearing the front two towers and not the center or surrounds.

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    You need to check the speaker settings in the audio setup menu on the 2910 then - sounds like you have it set up with no surround speakers, so everything is being downmixed. Make sure you have the multichannel option selected as the first item on the audio setup menu, and set the speaker types and levels appropriately in the submenu under it.

5. ebesthawk

ebesthawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check that again, but the I did go through all of that......I had all the appropriate speakers selected, but I did notice on the audio set up that many of the options were grayed out......however, under audio channel it was set at multi channel, so not sure what the hell is going on.....

6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Run the players test one or play a 5.1 film to confirm, with the amp set to EXT.IN, all channels are working.

7. ebesthawk

ebesthawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying test a movie using the EXT IN 5.1 set up? Every other audio output is working great (DVDs, DBS, etc.)...this was my first attempt using EXT IN and again, only hearing two towers.....

8. ebesthawk

ebesthawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI -- Here is my note to Denon support.....

Denon,

I have recently just purchased your AVR3805 receiver and your 2910 DVD player and am very happy with everything until yesterday. I finally got my first SACD and was all set to listen to the 5.1 audio, when I ran into a problem I can't solve. I'm only getting audio out of the front two towers in my system. My center and surrounds are completely missing from this mix. Here's what I set up initially and what steps I've taken to try to solve it:

1. I have six analog cables purchased together at Best Buy for around $100 each with it's own label (FL, FR, SW, etc.) I plugged them from the 5.1 output from the 2910 into the EXT IN of the 3805. I have triple checked the connections to ensure that they are all in the appropriate spots and they are.

2. I purchased Dark Side of the Moon Hybrid SACD and played it with MULTI as the SACD setting on the 2910. Again, I only get my front two towers to fire with this set up.

3. I went through the 2910 and 3805 on screen set ups to make sure all of my speakers were being recognized and in fact, on both components, the lights are on for all speakers that I have set up which is telling me that the components are seeing the speakers and I have correctly set up the speaker configuration.

4. I even reset the 2910 to the original factory default to see if I could start over and that didn't do anything. I still only have 5.1 SACD audio in my two front left and right speakers.

What's next? Could the cables be bad? Maybe the terminals aren't working on the EXT IN of the 3805 or the 5.1 out of the 2910? Can I reset the 3805 and try to configure everything again?

Please note that in any other mode, the components are working great and all speakers are being fed when playing DVD, DBS or video games......the problem must reside in the EXT IN set up, but I can't figure it out and I'm out of options. Any help would be appreciated.

9. Marshmat

Marshmat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ebesthawk, I have recently purchased a 2910 and seem to be having the exact problem that you described above. So my question is, how did you resolve it? I have already sent the unit in for servicing, and they sent it back stating that they could not replicate the problem, and had reset the unit. This seemed to fix the problem for a while, but now we are back to Front L & R channel only on SACD playback. Any new info would be much appreciated.

10. Chippo2000

Chippo2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the same problem also. I've checked the configuration of the 2910 and my AVC-A11XVA and see no problems. The A11XVA shows all 5.1 speakers in use but am only getting L + R front channels. It worked perfectly with the older firmware but was having problems with HDMI and updated the firmware to solve this.

I've only got one SACD so it's not a biggie just nice to have if the solution is fairly easy.

11. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As posted earlier, have you play a normal film but have the amp on EXT.In do all channels work?

The other possibilty are you using HDMI from your players? If so in the setup menu have you set the HDMI audio to multi channel even though its going to a stereo display?

12. Chippo2000

Chippo2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, as I use HDMI to the AMP for all DVD soundtracks.

HDMI is outputting multi channel as the amp take DVD soundtracks from the HDMI input. Since the 2910 doesn't support SACD over HDMI that is output over the EXT output. It does seem like the SACD audio is being downmixed to stereo, BUT the A11XVA shows a signal on all 6 EXT inputs and I can see no relevant settings in the 2910 menus. There was a speaker setup option on the previous firmware but it doesn;t appear to be there in the new firmware.

13. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ok so first step play a film as normal but during it press EXT.In and see if it works. Once done put it back on Auto.

Next without a disc in the player go into the 2910 setup menu and set the HDMI audio to 2Ch then play your SACD.

14. Marshmat

Marshmat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eddy, I'll give that a try and let you know the results when i get back home on Thursday.

Matt.

15. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have had the same problem!
    Now I have in the past been able to play SACD discs in 5.1 but not recently! I have updated to the latest firmware & wondered if this was the problem
    on close listening I found the following. The CD & stereo layer played fine but it sounded to me like the multi layer was playing the CD layer! Both DVD & Amp said 5.1.
    Also on checking the audio set up like ebesthawk I found the following options were greyed out & couldn’t be changed.
    Audio set up
    Audio channel
    Digital Output
    LPCM

Like ebesthawk DVD's played fine in 5.1, Dolby & DTS. Unlike Chippo2000 I don’t use the HDMI for audio just picture. I tried as Eddy Boy suggested played a DVD and found that DTS was fine but in EXT.In I only got sound from the front two speakers.
    Now he also suggested changing the HDMI from multi to 2ch. On checking mine I found it was set to multi, didn’t think this mattered as I don’t use it but I changed it to 2ch. Guess what all SACD's now play in 5.1! Not only that but the options greyed out in audio set up can now be changed!
    Now while this makes me very happy could someone tell me why this makes a difference changing the HDMI set up & why don't Denon know this, they had Marshmat player in for repair & couldn’t find anything wrong!

16. Marshmat

Marshmat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Thanks for the informative post bobfan. Now I am really excited to get back home and try the same thing. All the symptoms you described are the same as what I was experiencing. I'll write an update in a couple of days after I try it out...

Matt

17. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marshmat - well I hope it works for you too! as its so easy to do! I'd be interested to know how you get on & if it works for you!
    What I dont understand though is why changing the HDMI setting from multi to 2 channel should effect SACD playback, especially as I don’t use HDMI for sound only pictures!
    Anyone any ideas on this?

18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,781
    In software parlance, it's a feature, not a bug! ;)

19. Marshmat

Marshmat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as advertised, setting HDMI to 2 ch instead of multi has completely solved the problem. It is weird that there would be any connection between the two, but there you go. I now have full multi channel analogue out, and all the appropriate features are accessible in the audio setup menu also. I'm just happy that I don't have to send the darn thing back to the Denon agents again!
    Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this board - I hope I can return the favour sometime!

Matt.