1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR-3803 or VSX-D2011

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fjorko, May 13, 2003.

?
  1. AVR-3803

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. VSX-D2011

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Which one would you buy all over again ?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The one I prefered after demoing them ... or failing that the Pioneer as I prefer the colour. (Not that I have or would buy either)

3. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well, I'm sure that just the kind of response Fjorko was after.

Few more of those, and we'll have a cracking, insightful poll on our hands.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The point was Bonesy that I don't think it can really be an insightful poll. Also included should be options for all the other AV Amps / Recievers at similar price.

To be honest ... I suspect most people who have bought either the 3803 (even people on these forums) probably havn't heard both in an A-B comparison. They've bought on brand name, features, reviews, etc ... or yes even becuase the Pioneer is avaliable in silver and the Denon in gold!!

From my observations, they are both fine processors with neither really being head and sholders above the rest ... choosing between them is down to numerous factors - including differences in sound, but one (IMO) isn't better than the other.

Just my change from £9.98 you understand
    Vikki

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm with Vikki - way too complex an issue for a poll. There are simply too many variables when purchasing av kit to come down to a straight this one or that one. respondants to such a poll will vote for the one they own (as Vikki points out not that helpful) or the brand they support most.

Frankly I'd buy neither based on having demod both and finding neither worth the extra money in sonic terms over the cheaper 1011 (which I didn't buy either)

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that it makes much difference (as most people appear to have made their minds up with, or without, hearing either machine) but the latest Home Entertainment magazine does a comparative head to head of a number of similarly priced receivers with the Denon 3803 coming a close second to the Pioneer 2011.

Whether people choose to believe it or not, it would seem that Pioneer are prepared to put out over engineered products at low relative cost in the short term interim to establish themselves as a quality player long term. The 2011 is therefore closer to a £2k amp and the 757ai is a DVD bargain, being better than players using the exact same 747 (first gen. universal) technology which currently retail at £1,200 - stand up Marantz/Onkyo.

This is exactly why I went for both the 757ai and the 2011, you're getting a lot more than you're paying for - especially at the giveaway Internet prices I got them for.

I'll never forget the Pioneer rep's face at the Bristol Hi Fi show as the 2011 was launched and I told him I'd bought it for £655. Since been confirmed to me that that price is actually only £20 more than regular retail cost price...

7. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Totally agree Vicky,
    but sometimes the polls on this forum are to instigate chat - to gauge consesus of opinion, start an informal discussion, or see if anyone feels they regret what they may have chosen....

So the first post saying that you don't, nor ever would have either might not be the best way of breaking the ice...

My 3803 was honestly purchased because I like Gold AV kit.

Would I buy the 3803 again? Yes, especially after hearing Juboy's 2011 try to handle movie soundtracks :p

8. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I did hear both amps back to back, went for a 2011 and am still happy i went this way. However, there were six people in the blind test we did and opinion was spilt 50/50. Had we listened on different speakers with a different source, and so on, i suspect each of us may have come to different conclusions. There's no real substitute for getting a demo if you want to find out what suits you best.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also don't forget the level of customer service from the two companies.

From the comments regarding Hayden Labs CS it would seem they don't care about their customers.

I guess with these mass-produced far east products it's just about shifting boxes, not after sales CS.

If the 2011/3803 is your first AV amp then I'll say go for either, depending on the sound quality/processing of the two.

However if you've already got a mid-priced AV amp, and upgrading because of the new sound formats then I'll say go down the pre-power route.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Bonesy ... I should have been clearer that I wouldn't go for either becuase of going the Processor / Power amp route.