1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avr 3802 bi amping with multiroom amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by brad, Feb 26, 2002.

1. brad

brad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    has anybody tried using the multirooom channels on the 3802 to bi amp the front speakers instead of using the multiroom speakers for the multiroom use.i only currently have 5.1 and wondered if the spare multiroom channels could be used to bi amp my main speakers mission 753 any body out there that has tried this let me know.Also what is the best way to listen to cd`s ie:digital connection optical/coaxial or through phono connection?????????

system
    sony kv32fq75dvd
    dvd 2800
    avr3802
    mission 753 front speakers
    mission 780c center
    mission 780 rears
    kef 30b sub

thanks in advance Brad

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    i couldn't comment on your bi-amping as i don't own a denon amp, but regarding the CD question.

It depends on if your CD player or your amp has the better DAC's....or you could get a deadicated DAC, if you don't like either.

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Try this.
    Connect the PRE OUT Left and Right jacks into the VCR-2/V.AUX input jacks using short, high quality connectors. Now select the VCR-2/V.AUX as the source for the output of the SURR. BACK/MULTI ZONE speaker output terminals.
    I don’t know how you would set the volume on these MULTI ZONE output terminals – are they at the same level as the MASTER VOLUME?

Anyway please keep us informed of your progress. I have an AVC-A1SE and it does not allow these terminals to be used for multi-zone.

Mark

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry – the other question: I believe that you will probably get a better sound using the DACs inside your AVR-3802 rather than the ones in the DVD-2800. Try them both. You might find that by using really good phono connectors you get a better sound using the DVD-2800's DACs, although I doubt it.
    Mark

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    After not having a decent CD player for a few years, I didn't realise how bad CD's sounded on my pioneer 525 until I bought my 3802 and had a listen using Denons DAC's via the co-ax connection, the difference is unbelievable.

Try connecting your DVD's stereo phonos to the CD input on the amp, and sitch between this and the DVD while a CD is playing, unless you've got a very good DVD it really shows it up!

Ian

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Listened to the Musical Fidelity DAC A3.....and all i can say is wow!!

I first heard it at the Bristol Show; and then demo'd it a local dealer....the sound is awesome, really warm and controlled!!

Down side, the price tag of £800.....girlfriend said i couldn't buy it... :(

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would suggest that using the dac's inside the cd player is better in this instance.......there is a high level of signal degradation involved with sending signals to the dac, jitter and other digital effects. For what experience i have i would say that using separate dac's, such as those in the amp, is going to sound worse, unless you are talking about very high end out boatrd dac's which really need very careful matching. In my opinion, i think it is better to stick with the internal on ur player.

As far as the amplifier goes......be careful trying the biamping you suggest, thats not what the design is for. The 753 are tough buggers to drive, im surprised your amp isnt having difficulties as it is! I think that if you try your suggested route that you will enfd up worse off, or damaging the amp. But i guess trying carefully cant hurt.

ad

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i replied this morning in a bit of a rush.....so maybe should explain better.

I havent tried any of the biamping stuff.......simply, i know that the 753's are a tricky load for even an accomplished £500 stereo amp. I'm fairly sure the amps inside the denon are of a lower grade. I think the speakers are more than worthy a better amplification source. I would worry that loading the denon multiroom outs may be a bit on the overkill side. But for sure the speakers would sound a hell of a lot better on the end of more serious amplification!

I dont know about the dac's inside dvd players.....i didnt read properly earlier, i thought the comparison between the amp dac's and a cd player dac's. I have heard my cd player routed through extermal dac's and i cannot claim to have heard its internal bettered by anything much less than a thousand pounds, and i know the denon amp doesnt have anything like that!

Try it and see, it wont cost anything to fiddle......but i still think you should be careful with your biamping idea.

ad

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Some people rave about it, some don't – normally the people that have not tried it don't. I haven't tried it either, but I may do one day if DENON ever get round to producing any 170 watt power amps.
    The DENON amps of 3802 class and above have very stable power amps and can drive difficult loads of <4ohm and above without problem (I think), although I'm no expert on the 753's and you could be right.

Generally, DENON DVD players of the same class have similar DACs to their corresponding class of amplifier/receiver – the DVD-2800 is a lower class than the AVR-3802; the new DVD-3800 may have similar DACs to the AVR-3802, and this is why I suggest the DACs in the 3803 should be used.

Likewise, the newly announced DVD-A1 has better DACs than the AVC-11SR but are equal to (or just below, because of the dual differential mode) of the AVC-A1SR.

Mark

11. brad

brad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The problem i have is that i am not happy with the sound of the dvd players top end it doesnt sound to great with cd`s so without spending even more money at present i wish to get the best possible sound from what i have got for the time being.I will try the biamping idea tomorrow to see if i get a bettter sound when listening to cd`s and i will also try getting hold of a external DAC of my dealer on demo but i dont like the sound to much at present so i am willing to try anything at present to resolve my little problem any idea`s would be great.

many thanks to all the post`s Brad

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Biamping is the bees knees.......what i meant was that i havent tried it using an integrated amp.......I have heard a biamped naim system on the end of my speakers.......it is something to be heard!

Ad