AVR 350 Software Update

adickson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this particular issue.

I have an Arcam AVR350 and wanted to update the DSP and software versions. I had no luck at all connecting a usb to serial cable to the unit and upgrading, so I bought a cheap serial port to pci bus card and installed that into my pc. I am using that with a female to female null modem cable.
Once I had done that, I managed to immediately update the DSP to the latest version 112_S28 without any issue.

Then I tried to run the software update using the same setup and the programmer just sits in status: "Erasing Device" without any progress on the progress bar at all. After half an hour or so of this, I give up. I'm doing this exactly as per the instructions on the software upgrade master .pdf that comes with the files.

The current software version on the unit is 3.36.

I've tried a factory reset, I've tried this using both Windows 7 64bit and 32 bit operating systems and I can't tell you how many times I've turned the pc and the Arcam unit off and on again without any success....

I've also tried un-installing and re-installing the Arcam programmer and the serial bus drivers before re-running the software update to no success.

Is there something else I need to know or do differently? Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? If so how???

Any sensible advice would be most appreciated before I lose any more hair and turf the amplifier out the window!!!

Edit: I've scoured these forums too before posting, so apologies if this has been answered anywhere else and I've missed it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:
I own the AVR350, and the only software update I had done on this was by Arcam - by sending it to them through a dealer.

I hope that someone here on this Arcam section has been through what you're trying to do, and is able to offer assistance. If you don't get any responses (apologies, I'm not au fait with these things - although I did apply a few upgrades to my DV137 myself) - it might be worth you sending a PM to Crustyloafer for assistance. You've probably already noticed his name at the top of this section. He used to be an Arcam dealer - and offered a lot of good advice/assistance when I first had my AVR350 and DV137 back in late 2006.

Thanks for your reply - looks like we have an identical setup as I also have the DV137. That firmware upgrade was straightforward with a .iso flash. I wish this one was equally easy!

I did notice Crustyloafer here (didn't know if he'd mind a PM) so will message him now.

If/when I get this sorted, I'll post the solution so others don't have the frustration I've experienced.

Cheers,

Andrew

Have you made sure you are putting it into the right programming mode? To install the main firmware you need to press the 'RDS INFO' & 'PRESET UP' buttons which is different to putting it into DSP update mode which you need to press the 'RDS INFO' & 'PRESET DOWN' buttons instead.

Have you made sure you are putting it into the right programming mode? To install the main firmware you need to press the 'RDS INFO' & 'PRESET UP' buttons which is different to putting it into DSP update mode which you need to press the 'RDS INFO' & 'PRESET DOWN' buttons instead.

Hi Crusty,

Yes I have followed the instructions religiously (and even tried both options for the s/w upgrade) with no success.

I've just got through to the tech support team at Arcam today who got back to me with an answer:

This scenario happens when one (or more) of the micro's on the main motherboard are faulty so the micro or the board needs to be replaced.

I've sent it off for a service to get this done.

Thanks for your help everyone. I hope others can use this as a reference when experiencing the same issue.

Regards,

Andrew

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom