AVR 350 - how to get 2 analogue multi-channel devices connected

KevinO

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray connected via analogue to the bank of inputs on my 350. I also want to connect my Arcam DV137 via multi-channel to get benefit of SACD. Is there a switching device or switch cable adaptors I can buy that would allow me to connect both devices?:lease:

I'm guessing you want something like this:Zektor but without the premium price tag? I've had a brief look but couldn't find anything suitable. I'm sure others can help.

I'm guessing you want something like this:Zektor but without the premium price tag? I've had a brief look but couldn't find anything suitable. I'm sure others can help.

When I had this dilemma a few years ago, the only product on the market of any note was the Zektor.

As I wanted to connect my HTPC, SACD/DVD/DVD-A and the oppo, I really had no choice.

Great piece of kit and the remote function is assignable/learn-able so I was able to programme the same codes as the HDMI switching unit to simplify macro programming on the remote.

Expensive by a reliable piece of kit

Adrian

I too would recommend the Zektor, but if the price makes it a no-go, you could try this cheaper mechanical 2 x 5.1 switch (SACD / DVD-A are 5.1).

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll check them both out. The Zektor certainly looks impressive but not sure how much it will cost yet - it may be overkill expense wise in relation to my probable usage (in terms of hours used). I believe Octava also have a new switching device coming in to the UK early December which will achieve what I need - that's going to be c. £260- £270 I think.

Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Depending on how often you want to switch inputs, you could go for the £30 budget solution - three of these - Selector Switch : AV Splitters Switchers : Maplin

You'd need to press three buttons rather than one, but if you stack them on top of each other, it won't be a massive problem.

Not elegant, but the cheapest option!

You also used to be able to buy rotary switch kits which had a shaft with a knob on it, and on that you could stack "wafers", each of which was a single switch - six of those on a single shaft and a bit of soldering would do the job. No idea where you'd buy one though - searching for "rotary switch wafer" brings up the right sort of thing, such as http://www.lorlin.co.uk/pdf/RA.pdf

Edit - RS sell them - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0352317

Last edited:
Thanks again guys for your ideas.

I will only be switching between devices very occasionally (in truth I have only a couple of SACD's to play anyway) but I just can't bear the thought of having a piece of kit (DV 137) that I cannot fully utilise whenever I want to - it's very anal I know. Having said that, the opportunity to plain show off the system's capability now and again with SACD of Brothers in Arms is really missed!

I'm feel like I'm leaning towards the Octava switch - my only reservation is that I bought their 4 x 1 HDMI switch last year and that cost about £170, so I'm really frustrated that this new bit of kit will make that redundant - oh well I guess I could flog it on e-bay. Thanks again to all. Finally, I suppose I could try and justify wiping out about £3.5k of savings and buy the Arcam 600 to get HD audio over HDMI - but even I think that's really overgilding the lily!! What do you think guys??:thumbsup::smashin:

Would it make sense to get an Oppo 83 (or 93) and sell the other stuff - it's a universal player I believe.

I guess this would be possible - but I have a Pioneer LX08 for Blu Ray and Arcam DV137 for DVD and SACD. Whilst I gather there is huge support for the new Oppo I struggle to believe it would handle music as well as the Arcam. Also I would be resigning £1800 worth of perfect kit to a bargain basement price on e-bay. Thanks for the suggestion though - and when the time comes to change my kit I will definitely be looking at a universal player.

I guess this would be possible - but I have a Pioneer LX08 for Blu Ray and Arcam DV137 for DVD and SACD. Whilst I gather there is huge support for the new Oppo I struggle to believe it would handle music as well as the Arcam. Also I would be resigning £1800 worth of perfect kit to a bargain basement price on e-bay. Thanks for the suggestion though - and when the time comes to change my kit I will definitely be looking at a universal player.

You could bite the bullet and buy a HD equiped pre pro and spend between 1400 and 2300ish. It means leaving Arcam. But Audiolab, Rotel, Marantz should be able to 'help' out. You'll end up having to do it anyway so it seems a bit pointless to buy a MCH switch for a short while and then ditch it.

Eg
Audiolab 8000AP, 8000x7 for 1400ish
Audiolab 8200AP, 8000x7 for 1850ish
Rotel 1570, Audiolab 8000x7 for 2050ish
Marantz AV7005 for 2350ish.

All will do HD audio (the Audiolabs are LPCM only though, which is all you need anyway for HD audio) with the bottom three allowing 3D and the bottom two coming with HD audio decoding on board and video processing. The Marantz being fully loaded with all the toys.

The Audiolab 8000x7 power amp can be had new for 650 at the moment so it's my power amp de jour. Though I bet you could get other decent makes second hand for 500ish.

Just a a general vent, ideally Arcam would sort themselves out and provide some lower cost alternatives but I refuse to spend 3500 on a piece of kit that is a bit short on the features list or worse still 2500 (a premium price for a receiver) that is pre-out less thus not expandable and will require a back to base refit to provide 3D capability.

I can give them a pass at lower price points but the current price points feel like they are taking the proverbial with the feature sets they offer and then adding insult to injury by not providing analogue MCH on the new bluray player or any indication of a SE version which would have been an upgrade path for existing Arcam owners, well frankly they can bugger off.

I can give them a pass at lower price points but the current price points feel like they are taking the proverbial with the feature sets they offer and then adding insult to injury by not providing analogue MCH on the new bluray player or any indication of a SE version which would have been an upgrade path for existing Arcam owners, well frankly they can bugger off.

Well Stated!

Zektor Failure!!

After four years and 2-3 months, the Zektor has failed this evening! :(

Hopefully it is just the power ac/dc adapter...

Will have to investigate tomorrow

Adrian

REsolved with a new 9vdc PSU :clap::clap::clap::hiya::hiya::clap::clap:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom