1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avr 300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by jorgandjean, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jorgandjean

jorgandjean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm thinking of buying a AVR 300 and improve amplification by adding 2 separate power amps. Does somebody have experience with the sonic impact, I would expect to see a substantial improvement, provided the Preamp/Processor part of the AVR is of high quality.

Your experience would help.
    :lesson:

2. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Why not just get the AVP700 if all you're looking for is processing? It doesn't make a huge amount of sense to buy and AVR300 and then just use it as a processor. Especially, with the AVP700 so close to the price point.

Or look at a second hand processor, there are some real bargains to be had!

3. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It makes sense. If your front loudspeakers is demanding more juice than AVR300 can provide, I would surely agree that extra power amps is the way to go. I suppose you will let the AVR300 provide the power for center and surround speakers. With AVP700 you would need additional power amps for center and surrounds, so that is definately a more expensive solution.

My best advice is really to take this in steps. Buy the AVR300 first. If it controls yours speakers well, there will be no need for ekstra power. The Arcam AVR300 has a well dimensioned power supply which should make extra power amps an unecessary expense in many cases.

The processor/preamp parts of the AVR300 is indeed of high quality, and makes it the right choice in integrated surround amplification for those who want great performance on stereo music material in a semi-compact surround solution.