1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avr 300 what is power rating for 4 ohms please

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mick23, May 8, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all can someone tell me what the avr300 is rated at for 4ohms please .

the specs do not seem to give rating for 4 ohms, mainly interested what the front l/r specs seem to state 120watts into 8 ohms in 2 channel sterio mode.

thank you

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Power is same for 4 and 8 ohms when all channels are driven (100 WPC), so I imagine it's reasonable to conclude it follows for 2 channels driven (120 WPC).

Dean

BTW: it sounds great for music in stereo direct mode (2 channel, no DSP). I've been playing some older Jazz CDs (with DV88+) all morning and they sound great. I'm very impressed. Much better than the AVR200 I had before.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks dwette glad you like avr300 will be demoing one myself when local dealers have stock.

the mf 3.2 integrated amp i had on loan was 185 watts into 4 ohms and certainly drove my dyn62 better than my 3802 unless recievers are rated in a differant way , there is no 4 ohms specs for 3802 only really states 8ohm 6 ohm speakers should be used.

thank you

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using my AVR300 with Dyns too:
    Front: Audience 72
    Ctr: Audience 122C
    Surr: Audience 52SE
    Rear: Audience 62

While the Dyns like power, the AVr300 is certainly up to the task. Arcam/Dynaudio is a great sounding combination.

Dean

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How come the Po at 4 ohms is the same as at 8 ohms?
    Is there some sort of clipping circuit in action?
    Barend

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt this is really the case..... if it is I would start to really worry about this machine (which I dont want to since Im going to recommend one to a friend!).

ad

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's a switch on the back to set the amps for 4 or 8 ohms. Here's what John Dawson had to say about that...

***John Dawson, Arcam quote starts here***

The speaker impedance switch is, in my opinion, a very useful device in products such as AV receivers in order to extract the best possible performance from products where both price and space are limited.

I can't comment on other manufacturers' implementations but in the Arcam receivers the switch activates an internal heavy duty relay which alters the voltage of the main power rails supplying the power amplifiers. This is not done with anything so crude as resistors but by having taps on the secondaries of the main power transformer.

It then allows the unit to meet its specification into both 4 and 8 ohm loads without risk of overstressing the output stages or overheating. So, in the case of the AVR300, we can get 100 WPC of continuous output power into either 4 or 8 ohm (nominal) speaker loads without having heavily to overengineer or alternatively excessively current limit the power amplifiers. Incidentally these power ratings are continuous, with all 7 channels driven simultaneously, whereas many receivers with huge quoted power specs simply and audibly run out of grunt under such conditions. There's quite a bit of misinformation out there!!

***end quote***

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Aha!
    That's a good solution then!
    Obviously they can't just tap the o/p transformers secondary as there aren't any output transformers anymore like in olden days...(hence the good bass performance among other things).
    Shows Arcam really thinks about what they're doing...most manufacturers just let the o/p stage fend for itself when somebody connects a 4 ohms speaker.
    Wonder if my A85 amp (just sold it on Ebay) had the switch?
    Never noticed it...
    Just ordered an AVR300, glad I did...
    Can't wait!
    Barend

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok, im wrong..... wont say anymore!